R.I.P. David Sanborn (1945-2024)

Low Spark of Lyman

What a night! I had to do six encores at the club.
Saxophonist David Sanborn has passed away at the age of 78. He initially became known for his session work on David Bowie's Young Americans album in 1975, particularly on the title track. He was also featured on Bruce Springsteen's "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" that same year.

Sanborn played with Bonnie Raitt, Carly Simon, Elton John, George Benson, Ian Hunter, James Brown, James Taylor, Kenny Loggins, Luther Vandross, Robert Cray, Roger Waters, The Rolling Stones, Steely Dan, Stevie Wonder, Todd Rundgren, and Ween. He was a performer on the music score for the Lethal Weapon movies, and co-composer with Eric Clapton and Michael Kamen for the second through fourth films. On Scrooged, he performed "We Three Kings Of Orient Are" with Miles Davis, Larry Carlton, and Paul Shaffer.

Sanborn's solo career started with the 1975 album Taking Off, with 1980's Hideaway reaching #2 on Billboard's jazz chart; several later albums, up to the Bob James collaboration Double Vision (1986), achieved #1.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Here's adult animation category ballot for Emmy Awards 2024. I'm hoping that Praise Petey will get in the final line-up.

I don't know where to post this...
but Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is in development of Disney.

I guess Nick is officially done with this franchise for now.
Happy 20th Birthday to the Cartoon Network City Era!

Featured Posts