wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Original “Rainbow Brite” to Stream for Free on YouTube"​

Rainbow-Brite-40th.jpg

Hallmark is celebrating the 40th anniversary of the original Rainbow Brite with a relaunch across various social media platforms. In addition to the Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok pages getting a refresh, a new YouTube channel has been created to stream episodes of the original series for free. Episodes will be released starting later today at 5 P.M. eastern/2 P.M. pacific.

Rainbow Brite was originally launched by Hallmark Cards in 1984, with an animated series produced by DIC Enterprises and TMS Entertainment debuting later that same year. The series centered on a young girl named Wisp, who was sent on a quest to bring color back to a colorless wasteland that is ruled by an evil force. With the help of new friends, Twink the sprite, and Starlite the talking horse, she is able to find a a baby that has the key to her mission, retrieve the Color Belt, free the Color Kids from the King of Shadows, and restore color to Rainbowland, and from then on is known as Rainbow Brite. Over the course of the series, Rainbow Brite and the Color kids set out to spread color across the universe, although their missions are often threatened by gloom bringing villains such as Murky Dismal and his sidekick, Lurky."

Read the full article here.

And here's the Youtube livestream:

Pooky

Staff member
Was going to say I hope they stream the movie, but I see from the full article it's unlikely.

Still cool.

Mandouga

Considering that Warner Bros. owns the rights to the movie (while Hallmark owns the rights to the show*), there's absolutely no chance, unfortunately.

The previous DVD release was based on what the show looked like in the U.K. when it was released on home video there. I'm wondering what the YouTube uploads will be like...

Incidentally, the first five episodes are actually five TV specials. I don't know if they aired in one week, but I do know they aired in 1984 and are considered the first season. The other 8 episodes aired with the five specials in 1986 as part of a block called "Kideo TV" that aired in first run syndication. The complete series was also released as a series of VHS releases as well.

*It's not in the DIC library, so Wildbrain can't do anything about it. Hallmark owns it directly.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Incidentally, the first five episodes are actually five TV specials. I don't know if they aired in one week, but I do know they aired in 1984 and are considered the first season.
The first season was indeed one of those 1980's mini-series that aired over a week in syndication.

Mandouga

So I'm watching the show on the official channel, and it appears to be based on the U.K. home video version again, but the colors are improved, and there aren't any sound issues like before. Also, considering that this version has the Cookie Jar logo plastered on it, I'm guessing that Hallmark and Wildbrain co-own the rights to the show, meaning that both companies have to be talked to, but I'm just guessing really. I don't know for sure, so don't quote me...

SanaaDean

Banned
Celebrating the 40th anniversary of Rainbow Brite is a wonderful opportunity to remember and celebrate the history of this vibrant and magical animated series. Over the years, "Rainbow Brite" has become not only a popular cultural icon, but also a part of the childhood of many people around the world. Its colorful characters, fun adventures and important lessons about friendship and tolerance have left an unforgettable mark on the hearts of many fans.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Looking at the Boomerang Imaginary Rebrand pitch really makes me wish that we get this rebrand instead of what we got in 2015.

I was at my local Wal-Mart, and they had merchandise out for the new Garfield movie. There's a plush doll of Baby Garfield that meows, and you have to feed him a piece of lasagna or pizza.
I want to thank both Silverstar and Goldstar for their awesome posts and great presence in this forum. Love ya!
Hey, internet: You all owe Natasha Klein (creator of Primos) an apology. It doesn't matter if you want to watch the show or not. There was no logical reason to unleash that level of vitriol over just a few words, especially before the show has even aired. Now all of y'all line up and tell her you're sorry.

Featured Posts