"Tomb Raider I–III Remastered Collection" Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Fall in love all over again!

tombraiderremastered.jpg

Tomb Raider 1, 2 and 3 (Remastered)
Platform:
Playstation 4 and 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S/X, Nintendo Switch and PC
Studio: Aspyr Media, Crystal Dynamics
Release Date: February 14th, 2024

Description: The first three Tomb Raider games are being remastered and they are set to arrive on February 14, 2024.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered Starring Lara Croft will not only feature updated visuals, but they will include all of the expansions and secret levels for each game. Players will also be able toggle between the original polygon look of the games and the updated visuals whenever they desire.

Anyone else picking up this game?

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
I've already pre-ordered the digital version for XB Series and can't wait for tomorrow to be here already!

I love the concept of being able to switch between old and new graphics on the fly- we also saw it recently with Gargoyles Remastered, which, say what you will about the game itself but the presentation and ease of switching back and forth was generally solid.

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
Staff member
I love the concept of being able to switch between old and new graphics on the fly- we also saw it recently with Gargoyles Remastered, which, say what you will about the game itself but the presentation and ease of switching back and forth was generally solid.
this was also in Asterix & Obelix XXL: Romastered (sadly not in the remaster of its sequel though), which even had the option of playing the original graphics in either 16:9 (a first for this title) or its original 4:3.

for no good reason, the regular game was only in 16:9 (as are its remasters and modern sequels, but thats another problem), meaning playing it in a 4:3 ratio and setting the original graphics to 4:3 just double letterboxes it.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
So, this game is amazing, well worth the wait. Seriously, if you've never played any classic TR games, there is no better way to start than this compilation. Especially since this is the first time since their original release that the expansion packs have been officially released. You're getting a lot of bang for your buck.

Graphics switching is as easy as pressing Start, and is instantaneous. I find myself using the modern look more often, simply because it's 60 fps and has better textures and Lara model. However, for some reason modern mode is a bit darker so I switch to classic mode whenever it gets a little too hard to see what I'm doing.

In-game cutscenes now have moving character mouths and eyes, a big plus. FMV cutscenes are upscaled and look quite nice.

Modern controls make certain aspects easier but I'm sticking with tank controls because that's what I'm used to.

Unlike the first and third PS1 versions, you can save anywhere, cutting down on the frustration factor.

Highly recommended!

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I collect Nintendo 64 era games on the Switch (whether they be ports, remasters, or remakes). So that includes all of the "Turok" games, the "Star Wars: Episode I: Racer" game, "Doom 64", "Quake" etc

I've started branching out to other games of that era (not just ones on the Nintendo 64). That includes the remakes of the first 3 "Crash Bandicoot" games, the original "Final Fantasy VII", and the upcoming "Star Wars: Dark Forces" remaster.

So yeah, I'm picking the "Tomb Raider" trilogy up. Eventually.

I just love that late 90's aesthetic.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
I've said this in another thread but if you like that era's aesthetic, you've gotta check out Powerslave Exhumed. Definitely an underappreciated FPS.

the_joker

Apparently, the very first game sort of got remade as Tomb Raider: Anniversary. I wonder if that could've gotten something of a remaster and been bundled in this collection. Looks like I'll just have to wait for a number of old games to get re-released.

Still, I plan on playing the Survivor Trilogy before getting to these games. I know they play differently, but they're still Tomb Raider, and I want to make my time with them last.

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Totally decked out physical edition announced:

Not sure if I'll go for it because I already have it on digital on Xbox One/Series, but if you haven't taken the plunge yet and have money to spare, this is definitely the way to go.

the_joker

Thankfully, the base game will also be getting released by itself as that's the only thing I would want.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
The latest patch includes an outfit selector (yay!) and restores the pin-up posters that were excised from the start of Sleeping With the Fishes in HD mode, among other various fixes.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Here's adult animation category ballot for Emmy Awards 2024. I'm hoping that Praise Petey will get in the final line-up.

I don't know where to post this...
but Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is in development of Disney.

I guess Nick is officially done with this franchise for now.
Happy 20th Birthday to the Cartoon Network City Era!

Featured Posts