"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

RunoMisaki573

Dragonball Z KaI was/is dubbed by Funimation/ Crunchyroll not Viz mind you

Make that Sony Pictures Television, considering their ownership of FUNimation and crunchyroll.

Of all the series crunchyroll failed to snag from FUNimation, does this mean the distribution rights will be transferred over to Sony Pictures Television, parent company of FUNimation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Of all the series crunchyroll failed to snag from FUNimation, does this mean the distribution rights will be transferred over to Sony Pictures Television, parent company of FUNimation?

Crunchyroll owns the rights to everything Funimation. The reason so many Funimation titles are in streaming limbo is because the streaming contract was for the Funimation service. Whenever those contracts expire, they can go on Crunchyroll. I don't know when Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo, Eureka 7, or other Toonami/ASA classics will be on Crunchyroll, but it's been a long wait.

Conttactt

Yep, that's exactly right.

I have a problem, though: This Toonami Rewind block only has shows with 100+ episodes in every slot, and with it airing only once a week, it would take a couple of years before we see ANY new shows in rotation.

Replacing one of the DBZ Kai slots (since it airs for a full hour) would only be a temporary fix, since the rest of the block would be hogged with long-runners for a very long time, and if one of the replacements is yet ANOTHER long-runner...well, that would be a problem, wouldn't it?
I’d say that’s by design. As we see with regular Toonami, it’s a huge struggle for them to land content. I’d imagine they want to “set and forget” this block so they don’t have to shop for new content for a long time. The extra episode of Kai is their flexibility zone, so if this block does better than they expect they can grab another show to keep people engaged.

RunoMisaki573

I suggested Knights of the Zodiac (1986) on Demarco's BlueSky post, and I chose this one since Toei's involved, a more complete dub (courtesy of Sentai) is available, and the SVES never completed the broadcast past episode 32.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluebaron

Seems doable. It’s a discotek title with a dub made by Toei, after all. However, I don’t think an uncut dub exists. When I bought the blu ray it seemed to be the Toonami TV edit.
Toei dubbed Bobobo uncut. The one that aired on tv was near uncut as well.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Toei dubbed Bobobo uncut. The one that aired on tv was near uncut as well.
The main thing that seemed edited to me was that Softon is still based on ice cream in the anime on the blu ray. However, looking this up now, apparently that was even a thing in the Japanese version of the anime. I remember in the manga he was more blatantly a poop head with brown swirls. Weirdly the anime has some jokes alluding to this even in the dub, but it seemed like they decided to slightly disguise it by having ice cream as plausible deniability. I am sure the double meaning is obvious in Japan because his purple head looks just like the purple poop on a stick that Arale often has in Dr. Slump.

Bobobo seemed like one of those series like Ultimate Muscle which have a lot of humor which is very sophomoric (like Jacqueline smacking Kid Muscle around with her breasts) and quite a bit of bloodspray. Toei seemed to sanitize both somewhat for TV even in Japan so they could sell them internationally, and they actually did better globally than in Japan. Ultimate Muscle did so well that 4kids commissioned more episodes. If Toonami hadn’t been reduced to two hours the week Bobobo ended, I wouldn’t have been surprised to see Toonami commission it to continue as well. It is one of very few series to actually premiere every episode on Toonami in the CN Saturday era. It seemed to be one of the only Toonami series that could perform with the young kids CN wanted, because of all the random fast paced humor and fart jokes.

Otakuninja2006

The main thing that seemed edited to me was that Softon is still based on ice cream in the anime on the blu ray. However, looking this up now, apparently that was even a thing in the Japanese version of the anime. I remember in the manga he was more blatantly a poop head with brown swirls. Weirdly the anime has some jokes alluding to this even in the dub, but it seemed like they decided to slightly disguise it by having ice cream as plausible deniability. I am sure the double meaning is obvious in Japan because his purple head looks just like the purple poop on a stick that Arale often has in Dr. Slump.

Bobobo seemed like one of those series like Ultimate Muscle which have a lot of humor which is very sophomoric (like Jacqueline smacking Kid Muscle around with her breasts) and quite a bit of bloodspray. Toei seemed to sanitize both somewhat for TV even in Japan so they could sell them internationally, and they actually did better globally than in Japan. Ultimate Muscle did so well that 4kids commissioned more episodes. If Toonami hadn’t been reduced to two hours the week Bobobo ended, I wouldn’t have been surprised to see Toonami commission it to continue as well. It is one of very few series to actually premiere every episode on Toonami in the CN Saturday era. It seemed to be one of the only Toonami series that could perform with the young kids CN wanted, because of all the random fast paced humor and fart jokes.
How would a new Bobobo-Bo-Bobo season look like?

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
How would a new Bobobo-Bo-Bobo season look like?
Well there are a bunch of manga chapters that were never adapted. But it has been so long that they would probably remake it from chapter one. I have no idea if the series is even still popular or well known in Japan, but the manga did outlast the anime by a while.

Conttactt

Well there are a bunch of manga chapters that were never adapted. But it has been so long that they would probably remake it from chapter one. I have no idea if the series is even still popular or well known in Japan, but the manga did outlast the anime by a while.
It’s a product of an old era, there is no way it has enough traction these days to get a new anime.

Toonami Rewind shows are going to be chosen like Checkered Past shows. It will only be the absolute gems of the era that are still hits even today. Niche titles like Bobobo have almost zero chance of airing.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
It’s a product of an old era, there is no way it has enough traction these days to get a new anime.

Toonami Rewind shows are going to be chosen like Checkered Past shows. It will only be the absolute gems of the era that are still hits even today. Niche titles like Bobobo have almost zero chance of airing.
Bobobo is from too late in the original Toonami run to air, too. It premiered a little after Naruto in fall 2005. You mentioned before that Naruto may be a weak link here. It does stick out like a sore thumb compared to Sailor Moon and DBZ which came to Toonam in *1998* and aired on weekday afternoons for years. Naruto came along seven years later, and mainly aired on Saturday nights.

Plus those early episodes are really tough to watch. We will have to wait six months before they even make it to the forest of death. Before that there’s lots of really cringe episodes like the Konohamaru one or the one where Naruto drinks spoiled milk. Ugh.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I loved Bobobo, but I remember it being an extra guilty pleasure. It was a very dumb style of humor, but hilarious to middle/high school me. Aside from Naruto and IGPX, we probably won't get any Saturday era shows because it seems like every Saturday show except Naruto flopped so hard they are all in license limbo. Want to legally watch MAR, Rave Master, Zatch Bell, and Mega Man Star Force? Well, you can't because Tokyopop/Viz, whoever dropped the license they apparently flopped so hard. These shows appear to have some fans I'm seeing some request for the Saturday era shows, but they flopped probably because they were significantly tamer than the weekday era shows. I remember teenage me loved Naruto and thought "blood=cool," but dismissed Rave Master and Zatch Bell as kiddy crap. Part of me wonders if I made the right decision to overlook those shows as now I have to find overpriced out of print DVDs to ever check out those shows.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
I loved Bobobo, but I remember it being an extra guilty pleasure. It was a very dumb style of humor, but hilarious to middle/high school me. Aside from Naruto and IGPX, we probably won't get any Saturday era shows because it seems like every Saturday show except Naruto flopped so hard they are all in license limbo. Want to legally watch MAR, Rave Master, Zatch Bell, and Mega Man Star Force? Well, you can't because Tokyopop/Viz, whoever dropped the license they apparently flopped so hard. These shows appear to have some fans I'm seeing some request for the Saturday era shows, but they flopped probably because they were significantly tamer than the weekday era shows. I remember teenage me loved Naruto and thought "blood=cool," but dismissed Rave Master and Zatch Bell as kiddy crap. Part of me wonders if I made the right decision to overlook those shows as now I have to find overpriced out of print DVDs to ever check out those shows.
The problem with airing IGPX is it got removed halfway through its run at 2:30 am. If it can’t survive there, could it survive in a higher stakes slot between 5-7 pm? If they air season 2 remastered at some point, I suspect they’ll air it at 2 or 3 am once they have a free slot. That could be a few months. I am still not even fully convinced we will have a free slot opening up from DBZ Kai moving to Rewind. It seems like they still plan to air it on both Toonami blocks, until we get a schedule update saying otherwise…

Conttactt

Bobobo is from too late in the original Toonami run to air, too. It premiered a little after Naruto in fall 2005. You mentioned before that Naruto may be a weak link here. It does stick out like a sore thumb compared to Sailor Moon and DBZ which came to Toonam in *1998* and aired on weekday afternoons for years. Naruto came along seven years later, and mainly aired on Saturday nights.

Plus those early episodes are really tough to watch. We will have to wait six months before they even make it to the forest of death. Before that there’s lots of really cringe episodes like the Konohamaru one or the one where Naruto drinks spoiled milk. Ugh.
I don’t think it’s age that will hurt Naruto, but rather as you said, it’s extremely garbage first stretch of episodes at 1 per week. If instead, they were doing curated episodes, for example starting immediately with the Chunin exams, I would have more confidence in the show’s success. But Demarco has such an antiquitated mindset on “every episode matters :)” that it will never happen that way.

This is a nostalgia block, which means anyone tuning in already has watched these shows. They want to see the good parts, not the garbage. And when it comes to Naruto, there is a lot of garbage.
The problem with airing IGPX is it got removed halfway through its run at 2:30 am. If it can’t survive there, could it survive in a higher stakes slot between 5-7 pm? If they air season 2 remastered at some point, I suspect they’ll air it at 2 or 3 am once they have a free slot. That could be a few months. I am still not even fully convinced we will have a free slot opening up from DBZ Kai moving to Rewind. It seems like they still plan to air it on both Toonami blocks, until we get a schedule update saying otherwise…
I still think Kai is currently just a placeholder for MHA, somewhere around mid June. It will take 12:30, then midnight when Superman ends. Then in July something will replace Zom and Shippuden.

Am I being too optimistic? Perhaps, but let me have the hope.

Bluebaron

I don’t think it’s age that will hurt Naruto, but rather as you said, it’s extremely garbage first stretch of episodes at 1 per week. If instead, they were doing curated episodes, for example starting immediately with the Chunin exams, I would have more confidence in the show’s success. But Demarco has such an antiquitated mindset on “every episode matters :)” that it will never happen that way.

This is a nostalgia block, which means anyone tuning in already has watched these shows. They want to see the good parts, not the garbage. And when it comes to Naruto, there is a lot of garbage.

I still think Kai is currently just a placeholder for MHA, somewhere around mid June. It will take 12:30, then midnight when Superman ends. Then in July something will replace Zom and Shippuden.

Am I being too optimistic? Perhaps, but let me have the hope.
You don't think toonami won't expand to weekdays?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Here's adult animation category ballot for Emmy Awards 2024. I'm hoping that Praise Petey will get in the final line-up.

I don't know where to post this...
but Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is in development of Disney.

I guess Nick is officially done with this franchise for now.
Happy 20th Birthday to the Cartoon Network City Era!

Featured Posts