Toonzone/Anime Superhero 2021 Battle of the Brackets- Nickelodeon vs Cartoon Network

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Welcome to:

Toonzone's "Battle of the Brackets" Tournament (2021 edition!):
Nickelodeon Vs. Cartoon Network!!

Welcome to the 8th Annual Toonzone "Battle of the Brackets" event! Done in the style of the NCAA basketball tournament, this event will pit 64 classic cartoon shows against each other in a battle to the death! (or something like that).

For the 1st year's main tournament thread, click here. (Theme: American Action Cartoons)
For the 1st year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Batman the Animated Series)
For the 2nd year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Sci-Fi/Fantasy Animated Movies)
For the 2nd year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Spirited Away)
For the 3rd year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Adult Swim 15th Year Anniversary)
For the 3rd year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Full Metal Alchemist / FMA: Brotherhood)
For the 4th year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Toonami 20th Year Anniversary)
For the 4th year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Dragon Ball Z)
For the 5th year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Best of the 90's Animated Shows)
For the 5th year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Hey Arnold!)
For the 6th year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Best of the 2000's Animated Shows)
For the 6th year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Justice League / Justice League Unlimited)
For last year's tournament thread, click here. (Theme: Warner Bros. vs Disney)
For last year's tournament results, click here. (Winner: Batman Beyond)

How it works:

There will be two threads a day, with battles (aka voting) lasting for 24 hours, one thread for the "Splat" conference (aka Nickelodeon), and one for the "Checkerboard" conference (aka Cartoon Network). I will update the threads each night, listing that day's contenders. Voting is done by posting in the thread which of the two shows you support. Just one vote per forum member please, per day.

For current tournament standings, click here.

"So what's eligible to appear in the tournament, and what's not?"

This year's tournament is being done in celebration of this year being the 30th anniversary of the premiere of the first 3 "Nicktoons" ("Doug", "Ren & Stimpy", and "Rugrats") and 25th anniversary of the first "Cartoon Cartoon" ("Dexter's Lab"). So the contenders included for Cartoon Network start in 1996, though "pre-Cartoon Cartoon" (shows like "2 Stupid Dogs") may be eligible for the "Bonus Round".

Also, no 3rd party properties that were not owned by Cartoon Network or Nick (so no "Teen Titans", no the new versions of "Garfield" or "Alvin and the Chipmunks" that aired on Nick, etc).

Beyond that, is there a show missing from the tournament that you feel that was overlooked? Drop a line here, maybe that show will get in as a "Bonus" addition later on in the tournament!

And now for the actual tournament (voting) threads:

Round #1 of the "Splat" Conference!
Round #1 of the "Checkerboard" Conference!

Last edited by a moderator:

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Space Ghost: Coast to Coast? 2 Stupid Dogs? Squirrel Boy?

I edited in a "So what's eligible to be included, and what's not?" section in the initial post above.

So yes: All 3 of those shows you mentioned are possible candidates for the "Bonus Rounds", when we get around to them! :)

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I've noticed... the opening post's link to both respective Round 1s leads to the 2018 tournament main thread instead of this one!

You're referring to the 2 links at the bottom of the opening post above? (for the "Splat" conference and "Checkerboard" conference?). They're working for me, they take me to the current tournaments for this year. (unless another mod fixed it recently, but I tested them earlier in the week, and they worked then....)

At any rate, if all else fails, the tournament threads for this year's tournament are at the top of the "Nick" and "Cartoon Network" forums!

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Hey everyone, how did you all feel about this year's tournament? Did things go the way you like, or were you hoping for different results?

Any suggestions for what we can do next year, or maybe even something while we still have this theme going on?

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
Made my epilogue in the finals thread just cause, when usually I think I do them here, huh... the tl;dr below might be another one. Maybe.

I mainly came here solely to look at the winners of the past tournaments... only to find unintentionally, I own Spirited Away, and own the complete series to all of them (inc. both FMAs and both JLs)... but... one exception happens to be the newly crowned champion Ed boys in which I only have Season 1. I couldn't say that a year ago when I owned no Batman series. During an off time I had here, I bought all of the ones that won the tournament. Perhaps in May, I should give myself a day where I watch those winners. (Why May? Good question. A few years ago I started my own Ani-MAY-tion thing where that month when applicable I devote to watching animated series and movies)

I'll be honest, sure, I like that EEnE won, but even if I didn't get big into Avatar, wouldn't have cared in the slightest if it won - giving me a future possibility of voting the Eds again. I think the tournament went well either way. Seemed to still keep up well with voting turnouts as far as I could tell. Getting near 20 most or some matches (did very little tallying)

I liked how later there was a day we only voted for one conference and then another the next day. Made me think of how MLB plays their post-season schedules to where one league will play its first games Day 1, while the other waits another day. Not as many days early to where no games are seen, which usually mainly occurs between series. Wouldn't mind that happening again, but still don't mind if one particular day has it off.

On the day off subject too, I think maybe should Sundays for example be 'off days', should those matches Saturday only be given the same 24 hours instead of 48? Mainly because many other early matches keep to that 24 hour limit to where either way someone may still miss out if they're unavailable. It can be a treat for those 48-hour opportunities, but it still allows two random shows (that may not win anyway and one could be very low-favored) to have an extra day. I also did consider if more people showed up on weekdays over Sat/Sun - I really don't know.

If adding a bonus pick into the main tournament, I'd suggest maybe leave a spot open for the final match of the first round in both brackets, and start the bonus plenty before then, so no show is bumped out having won - even if that show also may not likely win. Then even days before that final first round match occurs, it's officially in the tournament in the first round. The discretion still sits with the one(s) making the tournament as what shows don't initially make the cut to what's to be voted for in the bonus. I have no issue whatsoever in that planning. Mainly, I think all the lower-tier shows are the ones in that bonus round anyway for the respective topic (like Splat vs. Checkerboard this year), and not necessarily likely to win. It's simply a fun way though to allow voters to have that one/two-time control of who plays in the main tournament.

Was great to see @wonderfly vote this year, but still wouldn't mind, if it'd work out for you both and you wanted to, to split divisions next year and vote just in the others'. I'd say your vote means a lot too @Darklordavaitor! I know this isn't the first I'm suggesting this, but, maybe I'll be pushy this time. :D Either way though Dark, thanks for putting on this year's tourny!

Lastly, I think as of next year, whomever wins the tournament, the creator(s) should be sent a check for one million as a congratulatory prize. . . . . . . or just ignore this idea completely, that'd be okay too. I wouldn't be upset.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
On the day off subject too, I think maybe should Sundays for example be 'off days', should those matches Saturday only be given the same 24 hours instead of 48? Mainly because many other early matches keep to that 24 hour limit to where either way someone may still miss out if they're unavailable. It can be a treat for those 48-hour opportunities, but it still allows two random shows (that may not win anyway and one could be very low-favored) to have an extra day. I also did consider if more people showed up on weekdays over Sat/Sun - I really don't know.

That's something we'll keep in mind.

If adding a bonus pick into the main tournament, I'd suggest maybe leave a spot open for the final match of the first round in both brackets, and start the bonus plenty before then, so no show is bumped out having won - even if that show also may not likely win. Then even days before that final first round match occurs, it's officially in the tournament in the first round. The discretion still sits with the one(s) making the tournament as what shows don't initially make the cut to what's to be voted for in the bonus. I have no issue whatsoever in that planning. Mainly, I think all the lower-tier shows are the ones in that bonus round anyway for the respective topic (like Splat vs. Checkerboard this year), and not necessarily likely to win. It's simply a fun way though to allow voters to have that one/two-time control of who plays in the main tournament.

We like to wait a few days before plotting out the Bonus thread, giving you guys a chance to toss out suggestions of shows you feel were wrongly overlooked (like JoeMabbon's post above). Between suggestions here and stuff sent to me in private (along with a dash of my own input), that's how I usually create the Bonus competition.

The timing of it usually results in the "Bonus Round winner" taking on a show in the 2nd round (like Transformers: Animated vs. Camp Lazlo or "Penguins of Madagascar" vs. "El Tigre"). Usually the show that's strong enough to win through a slew of Bonus Round contenders is "good enough" to go up against a 2nd round contender in the main tournament.

It makes for interesting match ups, at any rate.

Lastly, I think as of next year, whomever wins the tournament, the creator(s) should be sent a check for one million as a congratulatory prize. . . . . . . or just ignore this idea completely, that'd be okay too. I wouldn't be upset.

Maybe the show creators should be sending us a check for a million, for spreading the fame of the show. ;)

Light Lucario

Staff member
I was hoping for Steven Universe to make it a bit further into the tournament, but it might not be as popular here as I thought it was. I'm still happily surprised with how well received Craig of the Creek was and how far it got in the tournament though. I don't see many people talking about it, but to be fair, I don't think the episodes generate a ton of material for discussions. The episodes are just usually fun with some heartfelt and funny moments thrown in. It's still nice to see how many people like it though.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I was hoping for Steven Universe to make it a bit further into the tournament, but it might not be as popular here as I thought it was. I'm still happily surprised with how well received Craig of the Creek was and how far it got in the tournament though. I don't see many people talking about it, but to be fair, I don't think the episodes generate a ton of material for discussions. The episodes are just usually fun with some heartfelt and funny moments thrown in. It's still nice to see how many people like it though.
About Craig of the Creek..... Yeah. You and me both.

Heck, when it comes to the Splat (Nicktoon) Conference side of things... I'm more pleased to see more people wanting to give Welcome to the Wayne a chance around here - I felt like I was alone in that and that feeling sucked, knowing how (IMHO) just how criminally underrated said show (WTTW) is, as well.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I mainly came here solely to look at the winners of the past tournaments... only to find unintentionally, I own Spirited Away, and own the complete series to all of them (inc. both FMAs and both JLs)... but... one exception happens to be the newly crowned champion Ed boys in which I only have Season 1. I couldn't say that a year ago when I owned no Batman series. During an off time I had here, I bought all of the ones that won the tournament. Perhaps in May, I should give myself a day where I watch those winners. (Why May? Good question. A few years ago I started my own Ani-MAY-tion thing where that month when applicable I devote to watching animated series and movies)

I'll be honest, sure, I like that EEnE won, but even if I didn't get big into Avatar, wouldn't have cared in the slightest if it won - giving me a future possibility of voting the Eds again. I think the tournament went well either way. Seemed to still keep up well with voting turnouts as far as I could tell. Getting near 20 most or some matches (did very little tallying)

I liked how later there was a day we only voted for one conference and then another the next day. Made me think of how MLB plays their post-season schedules to where one league will play its first games Day 1, while the other waits another day. Not as many days early to where no games are seen, which usually mainly occurs between series. Wouldn't mind that happening again, but still don't mind if one particular day has it off.

Was great to see @wonderfly vote this year, but still wouldn't mind, if it'd work out for you both and you wanted to, to split divisions next year and vote just in the others'. I'd say your vote means a lot too @Darklordavaitor! I know this isn't the first I'm suggesting this, but, maybe I'll be pushy this time. :D Either way though Dark, thanks for putting on this year's tourny!

Ah, it's funny, I own most of the winners on DVD or Blu myself. I think that FMA: B is the only one I don't have in any capacity, but I've just never vibed with it. I also only have the Shout Factory DVD release of Hey Arnold!, not the recent Nickelodeon set with both movies. I'm still wishing for the rest of Ed, Edd n Eddy to be released on DVD, since they only have the first two seasons. But yeah, Ani-May-tion sounds like a good time!

Yes, I think taking a day or two off worked out well for us, but that mostly happened so wonderfly and I could set up some events. Life got in the way for both of us this year, otherwise I think we could have ran even more smoothly. But I did very much want to have the final match over the weekend, which is why we considered and ultimately went with putting the final four matches one at a time. I'm glad it worked out well!

It was my decision last year to do two matches over a 48 hour on the weekend, as we were running a little behind schedule. And while that was going well this year, I did want to experiment to see if we could sustain enough momentum to have a match go on for just Sunday, which seemed to go okay. If it's most people's preference to leave Sunday as a day of rest like in year's past, I'll consider it. But I prefer to only allow for 48 hour matches if we have more than one match, or if it's the finals.

Yes, I think in the past, we've tried to have bonus matches that seep into the main tournament occur for the first round, but we didn't have the time to do that this year. I do prefer keeping series which already proven their worth around, but I do also like the special feeling of last-chance additions coming in and spoiling things. We'll try to start the bonus matches a little earlier next year!

You're welcome, and thank you for the kind words! I'm all for tag-teaming with wonderfly next year, but it's all depending on both of our availability next year.

Ha, how about we set up a "Bruce Timm and/or Danny Antonucci, please send us money" page.

I think Steven Universe has had some backlash hit against it over the past couple of years, which is why it didn't do all so well this year. Craig, however, did somewhat surprise me with how well it did, beating Adventure Time and nearly stopping the eventual winner! I'm glad that it did so well, though, and I think that both it and SU will have at least one other chance to win in the near future.

About Craig of the Creek..... Yeah. You and me both.

Heck, when it comes to the Splat (Nicktoon) Conference side of things... I'm more pleased to see more people wanting to give Welcome to the Wayne a chance around here - I felt like I was alone in that and that feeling sucked, knowing how (IMHO) just how criminally underrated said show (WTTW) is, as well.
I feel bad about leaving out Welcome to the Wayne, as I was only somewhat familiar with it before the tournament started. But if more people get into it because of this tournament, that's cool!

Maybe next year, I'll get to see it.

Dr.Pepper

I agree with this. Even though I love, love, love the show, I feel like there is not much to talk about.

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
Ah, it's funny, I own most of the winners on DVD or Blu myself. I think that FMA: B is the only one I don't have in any capacity, but I've just never vibed with it. I also only have the Shout Factory DVD release of Hey Arnold!, not the recent Nickelodeon set with both movies. I'm still wishing for the rest of Ed, Edd n Eddy to be released on DVD, since they only have the first two seasons. But yeah, Ani-May-tion sounds like a good time!

Yes, I think taking a day or two off worked out well for us, but that mostly happened so wonderfly and I could set up some events. Life got in the way for both of us this year, otherwise I think we could have ran even more smoothly. But I did very much want to have the final match over the weekend, which is why we considered and ultimately went with putting the final four matches one at a time. I'm glad it worked out well!

It was my decision last year to do two matches over a 48 hour on the weekend, as we were running a little behind schedule. And while that was going well this year, I did want to experiment to see if we could sustain enough momentum to have a match go on for just Sunday, which seemed to go okay. If it's most people's preference to leave Sunday as a day of rest like in year's past, I'll consider it. But I prefer to only allow for 48 hour matches if we have more than one match, or if it's the finals.

Yes, I think in the past, we've tried to have bonus matches that seep into the main tournament occur for the first round, but we didn't have the time to do that this year. I do prefer keeping series which already proven their worth around, but I do also like the special feeling of last-chance additions coming in and spoiling things. We'll try to start the bonus matches a little earlier next year!

You're welcome, and thank you for the kind words! I'm all for tag-teaming with wonderfly next year, but it's all depending on both of our availability next year.

Ha, how about we set up a "Bruce Timm and/or Danny Antonucci, please send us money" page.
A complete series release (+ movie) of the Eds would be great. Less shelf space, but had willingly bought S1 as (what I think was) a re-release though upon searching, discovered the packaging was the same as the initial release (whether or not it had a slip cover like the one I got had) and just wanted it - especially when I still like S1 the most.

It wouldn't matter to me either way if the various matches had those extra days as even pro sports have off days in between, so I will admit it's good to have it here too! Adds something of a realism. Not that I heard it from another source, but I think the cartoons being voted for like to take their nights on the town before a match, too!

Understandable on the bonus matches. Do whatever works for both of you as it'll still be fun anyway!

Could - but wonderfly did have a good point in you guys being compensated for spreading the fame!

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I'm still wishing for the rest of Ed, Edd n Eddy to be released on DVD, since they only have the first two seasons.

A complete series release (+ movie) of the Eds would be great.

........Didn't I see the whole series is on HBO Max recently? *(goes and checks)* Yep, the whole series is on there. Welcome the world of streaming, guys, get with the times! ;)

EDIT: Actually, I don't see the "Big Picture Show" movie, and they somehow missed including a couple of the stand alone "specials" (They have "The Eds are Coming" inserted in with Season 5, but overlooked including the other 3 specials)......still, that's basically a better job than what they've released on DVD/Blu-ray. ;)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Today I found out there is a new PBS Retro FAST channel available on The Roku Channel. I also learned that I can access it when I thought I wouldn't be able to. PBS Retro has a lot of great shows I never thought I'd see again. Awesome!
It looks like Bob Backish may be out as CEO of Paramount. Can David Zaslav be next? Please?
nick.com has banner (since past few weeks) has KCA 2024 on July 13 at 8pm. But no further news, nor any promos for it yet.

I thought Nick would get new promos for other shows or new episodes, but still NOTHING.
Why is it automatically assumed that if a person were to suddenly gain super powers they'll put on tights and either immediately decide to save the world or conquer/destroy it?
the sports junkie in me really loves playing Sports Reference's Immaculate Grid games. nice way to start off each morning.

Featured Posts