Unconventional or unpopular opinions you have (re: animation)

khuddle

I think "The Legend of Vox Machina" is one of the best animated shows on TV at that moment. However, the one problem I have with it is I think the party is slightly too big. The show could stand to lose one character. But which one?

Vex
Vax
Grog
Percy
Keyleth
Pike
Scanlan

Vex is the undisputed leader, Grog is the muscle, Scanlan is comic relief, Vax and Keyleth have an on-again / off again romance, so it comes down really to Pike and Percy. Percy brings an impressive intellect and technological know-how. I like Pike (a lot), but you already have a gnome in Scalan, and you are not touching Scanlan (the biggest personality of the group). So IMO Pike would be the odd man out.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
Remember this scene from Freakazoid?

I actually find what Fanboy's talking about to be pretty interesting.
Yeah, that was when control of Disney was pretty much being fought over by two different groups within the company, and this rivalry pretty much went into overdrive after the success of Star Wars, because films like the Herbie movies and The Apple Dumpling Gang weren't going to cut it as family fare anymore,

As Fanboy said, Eisner and Katzenberg came in, so neither side ended up winning control of Disney, really.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I got one, the Grundel from Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters is one of the most creepy Sat morning cartoon villains ever.

His dialog is a thousand times more sinister than the average supervillain rant:

He was scary as an kid, he is still skin crawling today as an adult.

His design is great too, the cominibation of frog demon and a creep in a trench coat.

Though the Vathek from Extreme Ghostbusters can give him a run for his money, they look like they are from Hellraiser:

It's amazing the horror based villains that appeared in these shows.

Last edited:

Nobodyman

I really enjoyed the second half of Death Note (spoilers ahead).

Yeah, it's not quite as good as first half and L is certainly missed, but I think we needed to see Light go down after his ascension to the top (kind of like season 5 of Breaking Bad). I think the story still does a great job with the intellectual strategy battles and, honestly, I like Near. I don't see why people hate him.

Also, forget the anime ending. The manga ending was the end that Light deserved.

90'sKid

I'm not a big fan of thinner line animation. Maybe it's just nostalgia but I miss the thicker line animation you used to see back in the early 00's.

Thin line animation is doubly bad on shows that feature a very pastel color pallet or when characters and backgrounds are similar in style.

Sent from my 5004S using Tapatalk

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I'm not a big fan of thinner line animation. Maybe it's just nostalgia but I miss the thicker line animation you used to see back in the early 00's.

Thin line animation is doubly bad on shows that feature a very pastel color pallet or when characters and backgrounds are similar in style.

Examples. I need examples, unfortunately - to understand what you're getting at here.

Ace

Ace
I never liked Frozen.

The Elsa stuff is awesome. It's mysterious. It's a great use of animation. Although it's sad she's not the focus of the movie considering that stuff is one of the main reasons people like the movie. They should have developed on her further rather than not use her for about half the movie.

Other than that it is a cliche romance about someone who falls in love with a jerk and marries her best friend. The romance feels forced and the action scenes feel generic (aside from ones with Elsa in it) and that's not even talking about the two unfunny comic relief characters they bring along for the ride.

It isn't groundbreaking. It's just generic kids movie stuff. I found it boring watching it when I was younger and I still find it boring as an adult.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
I’ve watched Clerks TAS and while it has amusing and pretty funny stuff in it , I’m not overtly crazy about it.

I guess I’m so close to Clerks 1 & 2 that the cartoon is still weird to me.

It’s supposed to be the most underrated piece of art ever but I see so many people that prefer TAS over the movies. I’m not even that big of a Kevin Smith guy to begin with but still.

Zorak Masaki

I’ve watched Clerks TAS and while it has amusing and pretty funny stuff in it , I’m not overtly crazy about it.

I guess I’m so close to Clerks 1 & 2 that the cartoon is still weird to me.

It’s supposed to be the most underrated piece of art ever but I see so many people that prefer TAS over the movies. I’m not even that big of a Kevin Smith guy to begin with but still.
I do like it, but I'll admit there's some stuff (mainly the constant gay jokes) that dont really hold up. I wouldnt compare it to the movies though, it's more or less meant to be its own thing. At least it's better than the sitcom pilot.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
I do like it, but I'll admit there's some stuff (mainly the constant gay jokes) that dont really hold up. I wouldnt compare it to the movies though, it's more or less meant to be its own thing. At least it's better than the sitcom pilot.
Yeah, and that’s part of what I mean too.

People don’t like the gay jokes in the movies, but the animated series is also full of them. That is a reasonable complaint to have for both.

I respect TAS for being it’s own thing, but I feel like you’re missing out if you don’t watch at least the original movie first to get a feel of it.

My major problem is the tone drift. I’m so used to the series being obscene and raunchy to the fullest extent that it’s actually surreal to me when the characters aren’t swearing their heads off or being too nasty.

Last edited:

Zorak Masaki

Yeah, and that’s part of what I mean too.

People don’t like the gay jokes in the movies, but the animated series is also full of them. That is a reasonable complaint to have for both.

I respect TAS for being it’s own thing, but I feel like you’re missing out if you don’t watch at least the original movie first to get a feel of it.

My major problem is the tone drift. I’m so used to the series being obscene and raunchy to the fullest extent that it’s actually surreal to me when the characters aren’t swearing their heads off or being too nasty.
I did see the original movie before this, so I did know what I was getting into (however, that one, Mallrats, and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back are the only "askew-iverse" film's I've seen). I didnt mind the toned-down language that much though, made them work harder to be funny and still be clean. In retrospect it should have been pitched to MTV or Comedy Central though.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
A more general one I have is that I wish people weren’t so cruel and harsh towards the more obvious below average animated shows. They do have a place.

Someone showed me Kevin Spencer awhile ago and it has some of the funniest storytelling I’ve ever seen despite its looks.

At times there’s just no defending The Nutshack, but I’m glad it exists when I am drunk and want to laugh at the line deliveries.

I remember Cleveland Show as it was premiering and I believe the first season is still solid. I still love that pilot’s structure, and it was a nice slice of life approach when Cleveland was adapting to his new family. The rest of the series is still not very good, but all that hate just feels wrong now.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I wish SOS Croco had an English dub as I remember watching the show when I was a kid in Portugal and was surprised that it was never dubbed in English.

user313856

I never liked Frozen.

The Elsa stuff is awesome. It's mysterious. It's a great use of animation. Although it's sad she's not the focus of the movie considering that stuff is one of the main reasons people like the movie. They should have developed on her further rather than not use her for about half the movie.

Other than that it is a cliche romance about someone who falls in love with a jerk and marries her best friend. The romance feels forced and the action scenes feel generic (aside from ones with Elsa in it) and that's not even talking about the two unfunny comic relief characters they bring along for the ride.

It isn't groundbreaking. It's just generic kids movie stuff. I found it boring watching it when I was younger and I still find it boring as an adult.
I like Frozen. Nothing griundbreaking, but it has a certain charm. I specially love Anna's character actually.

Pooky

Staff member
I have no strong feelings about Frozen, saw it on its release the once, didn't see the sequel, but I think it's familiarity, the qualities that arguably make it generic, is a large part of why it caught on. There was a growing audience who wanted to take their children to the kind of Disney movies they saw in the 90s (as we've seen with the remakes, where they've taken kids to see movies that are really like the Disney movies they saw in the 90s). If (either) Frozen and/or Tangled had utilised traditional animation rather than The Princess and the Frog, I suspected we'd be seeing annual (or close to it) traditionally animated Disney movies to this day.

khuddle

I thought Frozen was a decent Disney movie. The soundtrack, however, was brilliant (I know the songs have been played to death by now, but at the time of their release, they were magical).

Frozen 2 was I think the worst animated sequel I have ever seen. I couldn't believe it was made by the same team who wrote the original.

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Tangled was better than Frozen. Although I don't think THAT is exactly unpopular opinion (at least to me), at the end of the day.

90'sKid

Examples. I need examples, unfortunately - to understand what you're getting at here.
Examples of thick line or thin line?

Powerpuff girls, Dexter's laboratory, Fairly Oddparents, season 1 of SpongeBob. For a few examples.

Of newer shows with thinner lines and an emphasis on pastel colors, Steven Universe springs to mind.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts