Unconventional or unpopular opinions you have (re: animation)

khuddle

Just something that came to me: I don't really hate Harley Quinn, but I don't really like her either. She's just a rather, just there "meh" character to me. I got a bunch of DC Bombshells keychains for my collection, but nary a Harley one, and that's okay.

What I struggle with in the DC Universe is that while some characters are uber-powerful (eg. Superman, Wonder Woman, the Martian Manhunter), others are not so-powerful, bordering on pathetic (Harley Quinn falls into this latter category). And so how are these characters supposed to co-exist? To give Marvel credit, you don't get quite the same power imbalance in their universe.

(And don't bring up Hawkeye and Black Widow. Ok, they don't have any powers, but they are not insane, like Harley Quinn is).

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I'm just getting a bit tired of Compare the Meerkat. Don't get me, I still like the ads but it's just that Aleksandr and Sergei have overstayed their welcome.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I feel like both DC and Marvel should do more CGI animated shows, considering that both only have one each so far with DC's Beware the Batman and Marvel's What If?

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
I feel like both DC and Marvel should do more CGI animated shows, considering that both only have one each so far with DC's Beware the Batman and Marvel's What If?
You forgot Green Lantern: The Animated Series and Iron Man: Armored Adventures...and much much earlier than those 2 - Spider-Man: The New Animated Series

Rhaynebow

I hate that Disney and Pixar seem to be the only animation studios that consistently make good to great films. It annoys me whenever their films sweep up awards because nowadays, you don’t really need to see their films to know you’re making a good choice, or at least an understandable one. Trying to see this from a non-animation fan’s perspective, if you had to choose between 5 restaurants, are you gonna go for a joint that occasionally gives you a good meal, or the place that always gives out good meals and occasionally a slam dunk?

It doesn’t even feel like a competition anymore. You can pick between Disney/Pixar’s latest character-driven think-piece that will make you cry or some other studio’s trendy comedy adventure starring celebrities who can’t voice act, comic relief characters that just scream “say whaaaat” to slap on the ads, a crap ton of Happy Meal toys and a dance party ending featuring pop music that will be more popular than the film.

This isn’t saying that I want Disney and Pixar to start to suck, I’m saying that I want the other studios to do better. Disney doesn’t have exclusive rights to good storytelling, so what’s stopping the other guys from making their own Inside Outs or Frozens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
so what’s stopping the other guys from making their own Inside Outs or Frozens?
unpopular opinion thread
Frozen sucked - happy to not get any genuine big studio imitators
Inside Out was overhyped - Trolls has a similar character dynamic and journey to the unknown vibe; I enjoyed this one more

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Unpopular opinion: I did not like Inside Out. I’m an overly nostalgic person, & it seemed to be an anti-nostalgic movie. Besides that, I picture the mind working differently, so I had trouble suspending disbelief.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Tangled is so many times better than I can count than Frozen; doesn't help that Tangled's animated series only adds fuel to that fire (flaws and all of that aside!).
THE END.

Inside Out is simply forgettable as all-get-out. Forget me, I have more fond memories of Dreamworks' Home, and that film sucks - the animated series (Adventures with Tip & Oh), however? Better use of my time when I need it, especially for Lucy (and all her character development that I only wish Tip & Oh had gotten alongside her, honestly.)!

Now, it's not the best cartoon adaptation of something (that was otherwise crappy like the film unfortunately was.) I've ever seen, but I gain far more inspiration, heartfeltedness, and encouragement from it in my daily life, than any & all of the boredom and annoyance Inside Out ever left me with!

I haven't kept up with anything Pixar in a long time, simply because they're overrated. And I'm almost a much happier & better off person for it, too.

I, too, just wish their competiton didn't overall lack/stink at the moment. Only then can I truly be happier with the state of Western animated film, which I most definitely am not, as of late.
Disney/Pixar need actual competition worth being proud of/worth giving a fair shake to balance everything out for the better, not to be some monoply that thinks it's synonymous with "family values".

In fact, monopolies on anything in general? They. Just. Plain. Suck. No matter what it is!

the greenman

I guess my unconventional opinion would be that Laika has been beating both Disney and Pixar at the game in the past decade.

...At least in terms of quality. Obviously not in terms of commercial success, otherwise this opinion would be less unpopular.
I would say they have had very creative efforts. It's unfortunate that they rarely get credit. Kubo was one of my faves that year.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

khuddle

I enjoyed both Frozen and Inside Out (sorry), however I hated Frozen 2.
I thought it was the worse movie of 2019, a year that included "Rise of Skywalker".

I really should have demanded my money back, both from Frozen 2 and Rise of Skywalker.

harry580

I think disney should revive touchstone as a fox atomic and hollywood pictures replacement studio and maybe revive blue sky studios as just a label for teens and adult animated films

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I feel like Universal should restructure Universal Animation Studios as the third main theatrical film animation studio for them, after Illumination and Dreamworks instead of having them being relegated to direct-to-video films.
You forgot Green Lantern: The Animated Series and Iron Man: Armored Adventures...and much much earlier than those 2 - Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
So I did. Still, I would like to see both doing more CGI shows during this decade after four shows during the past two decades.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Tangled is so many times better than I can count than Frozen; doesn't help that Tangled's animated series only adds fuel to that fire (flaws and all of that aside!).
THE END
I agree, Tangled is way more interesting to me as movie, there's so much fun to it and takes a classic story and has a fun to it. I don't dislike Frozen, but wasn't as fun to watch as Tangled.

khuddle

I utterly hate vulgar cartoons. "South Park" is easily at the top of the list. "South Park" is like watching animated vomit slide down your TV screen. The two buffoons who made that show should be deported from the country.

I would add "Beavis and Butthead" to the list, as well as "King of the Hill" and "American Dad". "Family Guy" I initially hated with a passion, but the writing has improved over the years and here and there they have had some good shows. Still not in the same league as (in its prime) "The Simpsons" though.

the greenman

I agree, Tangled is way more interesting to me as movie, there's so much fun to it and takes a classic story and has a fun to it. I don't dislike Frozen, but wasn't as fun to watch as Tangled.
I completely agree with this. I saw Frozen with my Ex-gf. Not really certain how she felt about it, but I was miserable. Tangled was much better.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Pooky

Staff member
I utterly hate vulgar cartoons. "South Park" is easily at the top of the list. "South Park" is like watching animated vomit slide down your TV screen. The two buffoons who made that show should be deported from the country.

I would add "Beavis and Butthead" to the list, as well as "King of the Hill" and "American Dad". "Family Guy" I initially hated with a passion, but the writing has improved over the years and here and there they have had some good shows. Still not in the same league as (in its prime) "The Simpsons" though.

I'm not all the way with you but I'm part way there. I quite like or don't mind most of the shows you mention, but I have no real fondness for most Adult Swim shows (including Rick & Morty), or Archer or Big Mouth or Bojack or most Adult shows that have come along in the past 15 years of so. For me South Park is redeemed (somewhat and sometimes) by an underlining innocence in its childhood themes and arts and crafts artstyle, most adult shows since to me are just ugly inside and out.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
The problem that I have with many adult TV cartoons is that often the creators seem to feel that in order for a cartoon to appear more "grown up", the designs have to be as ugly as possible and the characters need to be as unlikable as possible. Just because a series skews to an audience older than children that doesn't mean that it's characters have to be phugly and mean-spirited jerks.

Of course, there have been some exceptions. The Simpsons being the most obvious (although I personally feel that series is way past it's prime and that FOX is ultimately causing more harm than good to the overall brand by refusing to let the OG series come to an end, but that's a whole other thing). King of the Hill and Mission Hill (a very underrated show, in my opinion) have had some decent episodes and characters who are (or can be) relatable to their audience. An animated series can be geared to older viewers and still have some charm to it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Here's an Intel Pentium MMX commercial featuring the voice of Casey Kasem, along with a certain disco hit song:

Boomerang might as well join Nicktoons and TeenNick now.

Featured Posts