What sort of animation do you prefer?

Traditional or Computer

• Total voters

Eldorado

Do you prefer traditional animation where they animate on paper or computer animation (CGI/flash or whatever it's called nowadays)?

Pooky

Staff member
I'm less sure about the split between pencil and paper and "tradigital", but I certainly prefer traditional animation to CGI. I think there's a nuance to drawn acting, particularly comedic acting, that I still don't think CG has yet quite matched, certain practices like squash and stretch that CG can't do as well, a beauty to hand drawn backgrounds that I've rarely if ever seen matched by computers, and a certain visual appeal to a well done drawn character CGI usually falls short of too, particularly human characters. Plus about 95% of all animation for the first 90 years of animation's 115 year history was traditional, so it has that going for it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a preference either. Yes, there are CG animations I like more than a lot of hand drawn animation, but that doesn't stop me from preferring traditional on the whole. (I think I also prefer stop-motion to CG)

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
2D Animation for me. I only like CGI if it’s done well enough like in Disney, Dreamworks movies.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
Story time: years ago on this very forum there was a guy who loved so-called traditional Disney and hate hate HATED CGI, Flash, basically anything that wasn't classic Disney feature type animation. I get the preference for that, but not every artist or studio has Disney dollars or a giant staff overseas that they can outsource their work to. Expecting everyone to crank out something along the lines of The Little Mermaid all the time is just plain silly, especially since there are also examples of eye popping CG works out there (e.g. Puss in Boots The Last Wish or The Bad Guys).

TL, DR version: I don't get caught up in 2D vs 3D or hand drawn vs Flash or whatever; I only care if it's GOOD. I've seen good and bad examples of each. It's quality that matters.

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
Story time: years ago on this very forum there was a guy who loved so-called traditional Disney and hate hate HATED CGI, Flash, basically anything that wasn't classic Disney feature type animation.
Honestly, this type of nostalgia bias needs to be a case study at this point.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I said “both” because it depends a lot on my mood. I also really like the painted CG look that many movies like Wish and Puss in Boots have.

-batmat-

Both can be great, but old school traditional animation had much more expression on the characters that I haven't seen done with CGI.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I don't know where to post this...
but Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is in development of Disney.

I guess Nick is officially done with this franchise for now.
Happy 20th Birthday to the Cartoon Network City Era!

Watching this clip from the Princess Power special "Princess Royal Wedding", where Queen Ryung & Queen Olivia get married, makes me glad that the show was picked up by a streaming service. If it was picked up by the Junior 3 (Disney Jr, Nick Jr , & PBS Kids), an episode like this either wouldn't be made or if it,would come when the show was went to a less available channel
Happy 20th anniversary to my favorite CN logo and CN City.
Today marks the 20th Year Anniversary of Cartoon Network's "City Era". This era ties with the "Powerhouse Era" as my favorite era through out the channel's history.

Featured Posts