Who will buy Paramount?

lowell

Sony should be disqualified to avoid a repeat of what happened after Disney-Fox.

I prefer Sony buy AMC Networks, Lionsgate, Starz, and the non-news assets of Fox to create something comparable to the other media conglomerates that own a major movie studio.

Paramount Global should be acquired by Skydance for now then after Charter takes care of its debt Skydance can buy them out giving them access to numerous regional news and sports channels that can be integrated into the CBS Entertainment Group, including two RSNs in LA co-owned with the Dodgers and Lakers, with those teams being bought out do that Skydance has full ownership of those RSNs.

Spectrum subscribers can also have free P+ under the arrangement I am proposing.
If you can say that, then I can also say why can't Comcast go buy Lionsgate (with Starz) & AMC Networks? They do have the Hulu money.

Charter is solely focused on their phone, internet, and TV operations just like Verizon. If you remember they bailed on their Spectrum Originals program as well.

One of the advantages for Sony is that they didn't spend a lot of money at all in recent years so they actually have more purchasing power at this point, compared to others like Comcast.

Plus, Sony has global reach to actually help Paramount+ with its international expansion compared to Charter, which is only in the U.S.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
If you can say that, then I can also say why can't Comcast go buy Lionsgate (with Starz) & AMC Networks? They do have the Hulu money.

Charter is solely focused on their phone, internet, and TV operations just like Verizon. If you remember they bailed on their Spectrum Originals program as well.

One of the advantages for Sony is that they didn't spend a lot of money at all in recent years so they actually have more purchasing power at this point, compared to others like Comcast.

Plus, Sony has global reach to actually help Paramount+ with its international expansion compared to Charter, which is only in the U.S.
Charter under Skydance ownership would have brand new management.

lowell

Charter under Skydance ownership would have brand new management.
Why would Skydance want Charter at all?

As far as we know, Skydance is bringing in private equity firms like Saudi-backed RedBird Capital and KKR and even Tencent while Sony is partnering up with Apollo.

The reasons why the Ellisons aren't spending so much on this is because they're saving up money in case Tiktok ends up on the selling block (which may end up happening) and for political contributions.

PF9

Why would Skydance want Charter at all?

As far as we know, Skydance is bringing in private equity firms like Saudi-backed RedBird Capital and KKR and even Tencent while Sony is partnering up with Apollo.

The reasons why the Ellisons aren't spending so much on this is because they're saving up money in case Tiktok ends up on the selling block (which may end up happening) and for political contributions.
The regional news and sports networks Spectrum operates could be used to expand CBS News and Sports.

lowell

The regional news and sports networks Spectrum operates could be used to expand CBS News and Sports.
RSNs are slowly fading due to pivot from cable to streaming.

If the leagues and their teams see more money in licensing the content rights to major networks and even online streaming platforms, they won't see a need to continue to prop up RSNs. Some of those leagues and teams also have started their own streaming service as well.

It's all about the money generated by the content rights here, hence you see why the leagues make sure they get the highest price possible every time the contracts expire.

News is pretty much an okayish business, there's an effort to make it go more digital because that's where the ad revenue is trying to go these days.

There's really not a lot that Charter can put in that Paramount Global can't do by themselves if they wanted.

lowell

I think the byline "A Skydance Company" could be in play if this is true, would restore a byline to the Paramount Pictures and Television Studios logos.
Depends on what happens, though. There was already a combined sentiment of the tanking stock, threat of numerous lawsuits, and the exit of board directors already a few weeks ago. I think overall, this is going to take a while to play out.
It's merely cosmetic, but I do think the current Paramount logos feel empty without a byline.
I mean, technically, they'll get a byline anyway in either scenario.

Last edited:

lowell

so. skydance is that close. hopefully they do manage to fix the issues that paramount has (and keep stuff working fine outside the states)
Technically, at the current moment, Bakish just really needs to finish getting Paramount+ through the break-even point and reach profitability.

That's basically his work to prepare the company for the future, regardless of what happens.

Everything else would be left to the next suitor, whichever it may be.

PF9

If Skydance buys Paramount Global they should go after IDW Media Holdings to give the company a comic book subsidiary (much like WBD's DC and Disney's Marvel).

IDW already has comic book rights to some of the company's franchises, notably Star Trek and TMNT.

lowell

Paramount is considering to remove the existing CEO Bob Bakish.

Apparently, there's been some internal turmoil over deal talks so that's why this is dangling right now:

"Bakish has told investors that executing the Skydance deal would be challenging."

"Redstone also has placed blame on Bakish for the company’s overall predicament and what she views as missed chances to strike sound deals."

Last edited:

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Apparently, there's been some internal turmoil over deal talks so that's why this is dangling right now:

"Bakish has told investors that executing the Skydance deal would be challenging."

"Redstone also has placed blame on Bakish for the company’s overall predicament and what she views as missed chances to strike sound deals."

Gonna help you out with the link, since it's paywalled, unless you use MSN MSN

Moe

I'm just reported a news and not interested to make an additional comment.

Gonna help you out with the link, since it's paywalled, unless you use MSN MSN
I was consider to paste a source from MSN but notice that they have some glitches, so I went with Variety.

lowell

I'm just reported a news and not interested to make an additional comment.

I was consider to paste a source from MSN but notice that they have some glitches, so I went with Variety.
But yeah, the WSJ article is the original source where Deadline and Variety reported from.

Moe

But yeah, the WSJ article is the original source where Deadline and Variety reported from.
and Cord Cutters News (CCN) as well but I had to avoid CCN as possible after several complaints about poor writing.

As for myself as deaf member, I have no way to screen if writing is bad or not, and hearing members relies on phonic to determine about what writing quality looks like.

Please pardon me if I share flawed articles.

There is archived version of WSJ - https://archive.ph/WW8RC

lowell

and Cord Cutters News (CCN) as well but I had to avoid CCN as possible after several complaints about poor writing.

As for myself as deaf member, I have no way to screen if writing is bad or not, and hearing members relies on phonic to determine about what writing quality looks like.

Please pardon me if I share flawed articles.

There is archived version of WSJ - https://archive.ph/WW8RC
The weirdest thing is that Monday is their earnings call day so it's going to be awkward for them to explain his exit.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

They should file a lawsuit against MeTV Toons for stealing the classic cartoons away from Boomerang. Boomerang found the classic cartoons first.
Shiloh Otter wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
I will miss your use of Mouse as your pfp, but since your name is LinusFan303, having Linus as your pfp only makes sense.
I haven't seen a channel launch as promising as MeTV Toons since The Hub. Let's hope their similarities don't extend to fate.
Happy 8th Anniversary to the Loud House! I still enjoy the show, mostly.
I don't care what anyone says, The Super Friends version of the origin of Batman was pretty effective for 1980s Saturday morning TV. Plus, Alfred telling young Bruce Wayne it's time to go when visiting his parents' graves just tugs at the heartstrings.

Featured Posts