Why is Discovery Family/The Hub no longer doing original animated programming?

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
On another note, how likely is it that Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs 1993 will air on Discovery Family?
Probably not. Tiny Toon Adventures and Animainiacs are both co-owned by Amblin Entertainment, so Warner Brothers would have to pay for the broadcasting rights. Boomerang can't afford to run TTA or A!, so I'd say the chances of either airing on Discovery Family are slim to none.

Stumpos

That would be nice to see, but considering that MeTV Toons is on the horizon, I's rather have them move over there.
They can easily air on both networks. After all, the Looney Tunes shorts are also airing on MeTV Toons in addition to Discovery Family and Boomerang. And I'm sure The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries could air o MeTV Toons also.
They're apparently out of the question for Boomerang, so I don't see Discovery Family getting them either.
Wait I'm confused, I thought Warner Bros owned Tiny Toons and Animaniacs. How was Cartoon Network allowed to air Tiny Toons Looniversity now if rights issues with Amblin are a thing?

Moe

They can easily air on both networks. After all, the Looney Tunes shorts are also airing on MeTV Toons in addition to Discovery Family and Boomerang. And I'm sure The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries could air o MeTV Toons also.
MeTV Toons is likely to have more viewers than Boomerang, Cartoon Network and Discovery Family combined.

Weigel said Looney Tunes shorts are extremely successful and higher rating on their network.

Wait I'm confused, I thought Warner Bros owned Tiny Toons and Animaniacs. How was Cartoon Network allowed to air Tiny Toons Looniversity now if rights issues with Amblin are a thing?
See @Goldstar! response above - TTA and Animaniacs are co-owned by Amblin.

Since Boomerang and Discovery Family have much lower ads revenues when compared to Cartoon Network, so they cannot afford to air those shows on Boomerang and Discovery Family.

Tiny Toons Looniversity got backer from Cartoon Network and Max, so WBD can afford to air their shows, so Boomerang and Discovery Family aren't lucky.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
WB co-owns Tiny Toons Adventures and Animaniacs, as opposed to Looney Tunes which WB owns outright. Amblin owns 50% of those shows because Amblin co-produced them. Like @Moe already mentioned. The cost of ad revenues for Boomerang and Discovery Family are much lower than those for Cartoon Network because the former are only in a select number of homes.

Last edited:

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
I doubt it. Boomerang and Discovery Family has less amount of views and as revenue compared to MeTV. Why take that risk to air them?

Stumpos

I doubt it. Boomerang and Discovery Family has less amount of views and as revenue compared to MeTV. Why take that risk to air them?
That is true. Though it makes me question why Discovery Family is even airing The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries, Baby Looney Tunes, and The Smurfs at all. Like, wouldn't it make more sense for those three to also air on MeTV since they'll get better ratings and views that way instead of on a cable network that's been on autopilot for a couple years now?

Or is it possible Discovery Family airing the Looney Tunes shorts, The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries, Baby Looney Tunes, and The Smurfs is only temporary and they'll stop airing those shows once MeTV starts up and takes the broadcast rights for those? I don't blame them if this turns out to be the case, but just curious is all.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
That is true. Though it makes me question why Discovery Family is even airing The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries, Baby Looney Tunes, and The Smurfs at all. Like, wouldn't it make more sense for those three to also air on MeTV since they'll get better ratings and views that way instead of on a cable network that's been on autopilot for a couple years now?

Or is it possible Discovery Family airing the Looney Tunes shorts, The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries, Baby Looney Tunes, and The Smurfs is only temporary and they'll stop airing those shows once MeTV starts up and takes the broadcast rights for those? I don't blame them if this turns out to be the case, but just curious is all.
It's probably easier getting shows WB owns outright. Also, cable and broadcast rights are separate and I doubt they'll stop airing them just because MeTV Toons is a thing. As it is, the main MeTV channel is already airing Looney Tunes.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?

The Smurfs will be airing on MeTV Toons. Warner Brothers doesn't own the Smurfs (Studio Peyo does), but the 1980s Saturday morning cartoon was produced by Hanna-Barbera, which WB owns now. WB can't do anything new with the Smurfs, but they can air the stuff that H-B has already produced.

Moe

Launch of MeTV Toons don't affect lineup on Boomerang and Discovery Family.

Weigel handles with MeTV Toons, not WBD.

Remember, MeTV Toons are not available in some metros, even likely not on cable and satellite if it isn't under must carry status, so Boomerang and Discovery Family are alternative.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
^Also, I don't think any of the WB/HB shows pre-2000 will stop airing on Discovery Family once MeTV Toons launches. Like @PinkieLopBun mentioned, cable and broadcast rights are different and WBD shouldn't have any problem with the shows they own outright. @Moe also makes a good point: MeTV Toons, like DF, won't be available in some metropolitan areas, plus it's Weigel who will be handling MeTV Toons, not WBD.

Moe

I heard Sinclair starts to sell 30% of local stations, so I hopefully Weigel buy one of Sinclair owned station in Birmingham, so finally we can access to MeTV Toons with clean picture if used large outdoor antenna.

I hopefully Philo and Frndly have MeTV Toons at launch because I want to see on launch day.

Stumpos

Okay then, just wanna make one last ask. How likely is it for the DCAU series such as Batman the Animated Series, Superman The Animated Series, and Batman Beyond could air on Discovery Family? They're also fully owned by Warner Bros and Amblin wasn't involved in those. Bonus for having aired on the channel before during The Hub era.

If the DCAU shows aren't likely either, then is it safe to say that once Hasbro's contract with the channel ends next year, there will be no more of The Hub era shows airing anymore? I know it shouldn't matter since it's just a dead channel by now (honestly wonder how long it'll even survive after 2025) but it still marks the official end of an era.

Eldorado

My guess after the contract expires, they'll just stop airing Hasbro shows altogether and just play the shows they already play.

FirePuppy

Where's the source on the weekends no longer having MLP stuff? They're still airing Equestria Girls content on weekends.
I did not mention the Equestria Girls specials no longer airing on weekends. Yes, they'll still be there for a while, but the full-length movies and Rainbow Roadtrip probably won't, due to their running times with commercials.
My guess after the contract expires, they'll just stop airing Hasbro shows altogether and just play the shows they already play.
Good, because Hasbro's shows no longer belong on this channel anymore now.

By the way, Baby Looney Tunes will be removed from Discovery Family after May, with The Smurfs taking its place on weekends, and more broadcast time for the classic Looney Tunes being added on weekdays.

Moe

Okay then, just wanna make one last ask. How likely is it for the DCAU series such as Batman the Animated Series, Superman The Animated Series, and Batman Beyond could air on Discovery Family? They're also fully owned by Warner Bros and Amblin wasn't involved in those. Bonus for having aired on the channel before during The Hub era.

If the DCAU shows aren't likely either, then is it safe to say that once Hasbro's contract with the channel ends next year, there will be no more of The Hub era shows airing anymore? I know it shouldn't matter since it's just a dead channel by now (honestly wonder how long it'll even survive after 2025) but it still marks the official end of an era.
DC shows haven't air on Boomerang at all, so it is unlikely.

I don't know about reason about why WBD don't bother to air those shows but I do know that they are suitable to air on Toonami due to action shows.

Ultimately, Discovery Family may end up become Boomerang 2 or Boomerang Lite after all Hasbro shows disappears.

Stumpos

The big question is now, how many years do you all think Discovery Family has left after Hasbro pulls out next year? Cause let's be real, it seems Zaslav has no interest keeping the channel and there's no plans for more original content anymore so it makes me wonder if there's any point of this channel existing anymore after Hasbro pulls out.

Kinda reminds me of what happened with Fox Family in the late 1990s where it also tried to be a fourth major kids cable network alongside Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Disney Channel, but failed even harder with the channel getting sold to and rebranded by Disney just 3 years into its run. At least The Hub/Discovery Family had a longer run compared to that other attempt at a fourth cable channel for kids. Bonus for Margaret Loesch being involved in both (she was head of Fox Kids from 1990-97 and The Hub from 2010-14).

I did not mention the Equestria Girls specials no longer airing on weekends. Yes, they'll still be there for a while, but the full-length movies and Rainbow Roadtrip probably won't, due to their running times with commercials.

Good, because Hasbro's shows no longer belong on this channel anymore now.

By the way, Baby Looney Tunes will be removed from Discovery Family after May, with The Smurfs taking its place on weekends, and more broadcast time for the classic Looney Tunes being added on weekdays.
Okay, you really seem to have strong opinions about Discovery Family still airing Hasbro shows. Did you like The Hub when it premiered those shows?

Last edited:

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
The big question is now, how many years do you all think Discovery Family has left after Hasbro pulls out next year?
Give it two years max.
Cause let's be real, it seems Zaslav has no interest keeping the channel and there's no plans for more original content anymore so it makes me wonder if there's any point of this channel existing anymore after Hasbro pulls out.
As long as this channel still making ad revenue, of course he's not gonna care.

Moe

The big question is now, how many years do you all think Discovery Family has left after Hasbro pulls out next year? Cause let's be real, it seems Zaslav has no interest keeping the channel and there's no plans for more original content anymore so it makes me wonder if there's any point of this channel existing anymore after Hasbro pulls out.

Kinda reminds me of what happened with Fox Family in the late 1990s where it also tried to be a fourth major kids cable network alongside Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Disney Channel, but failed even harder with the channel getting sold to and rebranded by Disney just 3 years into its run. At least The Hub/Discovery Family had a longer run compared to that other attempt at a fourth cable channel for kids. Bonus for Margaret Loesch being involved in both (she was head of Fox Kids from 1990-97 and The Hub from 2010-14).
Worst scenario if it isn’t going to shut down so Zaslav could replace with rerun of Discovery shows and walk away until it become unprofitable so they are going to shut it down.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
One thing Warner Discovery could conceivably do is turn Discovery Family into a Cartoonito channel, since Cartoonito currently only occupies a mere 90 minutes on Cartoon Network. I don't see WBD taking that much interest in the channel, but that's something they could do.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

This fall I will get 24 new VHSs, with that the number of cassettes will increase to 41. I need to re-digitize the ones I already have since my old Youtube channel was terminated in 2022, along with the new ones. As I left Youtube, the digitized VHS archive will be given to other people.
Minor gripe with the otherwise fine Yurikuma Arashi dub: "But also, we loved from the beginning as well." Using "also" and "as well" in the same sentence is redundant.
1 decade, 1 month and 1 fortnight ago, Shrek got a series of shorts titled New Shrek on DreamWorksTV.

Like the rest of Shrek, it has its fair share of memes, like a One Direction parody called Wrong Direction, an episode where he literally just burps Happy Birthday, a Freestyle Rap, and (from the very first second no less) of course:

Featured Posts