"X-Men '97 (Disney+)" Animated Series News & Discussion, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Who would have known that sitting through my grandma's soaps was just preparation for my cartoons and comics?

Vulcan? Oh no... Don't tell me they're doing Deadly Genesis. I really wasn't expecting them to include so much from post 97 storylines.

It's nice seeing Deathbird, Gladiator, Ronan and the Imperial Guard anyways.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
An "Assembled" episode premieres on May 22, after the season is over.

Wednesday, May 22

Marvel Studios' Assembled: The Making of X-Men '97 - Premiere

In the early 1990s, few beyond those who journeyed into the pages of Marvel comics had ever heard of “Rogue,” “Beast,” “Gambit,” or even “Wolverine.” But that sad state of affairs changed forever when “X-Men: The Animated Series" debuted on television and touched millions hungry for something different. The series was unlike any cartoon that had come before it, exploring themes of prejudice and social justice. The characters were super, but they were also outsiders, underdogs. Kids everywhere could relate – as well as adults. “Assembled” recalls the birth of “X-Men: The Animated Series” and its revival thirty years later as “X-Men ’97.” Spend time with the original cast members, along with new voices, as they reveal the stories behind the classic show and its uncompromising continuation.

Frontier

Staff member

Wednesday, May 22

In the early 1990s, few beyond those who journeyed into the pages of Marvel comics had ever heard of “Rogue,” “Beast,” “Gambit,” or even “Wolverine.” But that sad state of affairs changed forever when “X-Men: The Animated Series" debuted on television and touched millions hungry for something different. The series was unlike any cartoon that had come before it, exploring themes of prejudice and social justice. The characters were super, but they were also outsiders, underdogs. Kids everywhere could relate – as well as adults. “Assembled” recalls the birth of “X-Men: The Animated Series” and its revival thirty years later as “X-Men ’97.” Spend time with the original cast members, along with new voices, as they reveal the stories behind the classic show and its uncompromising continuation.
It's cool they're even doing these for cartoons :).

Ed Nygma

Wednesday, May 22

Not to take away from what I'm sure is sincerity on the part of whoever made this special, but the idea that X-Men was "unlike any cartoon that came before it" is kind of nonsense. It was a slightly better done Captain Planet; in many ways it was like the cartoons behind its time like GI Joe, just a bit more preachy while basically not teaching all that much besides "buy Avi Arad's toyline."

It reminds me of when someone was praising BTAS in one of those mainstream articles like on Vulture, and god bless the show, but they were talking about the adult themes it supposedly tackled until the author eventually ran out of legitimate ideas and resorted to 'old people/gentrification' from Paging the Crime Doctor.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Not to take away from what I'm sure is sincerity on the part of whoever made this special, but the idea that X-Men was "unlike any cartoon that came before it" is kind of nonsense. It was a slightly better done Captain Planet; in many ways it was like the cartoons behind its time like GI Joe, just a bit more preachy while basically not teaching all that much besides "buy Avi Arad's toyline." It reminds me of when someone was praising BTAS in one of those mainstream articles like on Vulture, and got bless the show, but they were talking about the adult themes it supposedly tackled until the author eventually ran out of legitimate ideas and resorted to 'old people/gentrification' from Paging the Crime Doctor lol.
This post will not be well-received. It is also not wrong. Spot-on.

Frontier

Staff member
Not to take away from what I'm sure is sincerity on the part of whoever made this special, but the idea that X-Men was "unlike any cartoon that came before it" is kind of nonsense. It was a slightly better done Captain Planet; in many ways it was like the cartoons behind its time like GI Joe, just a bit more preachy while basically not teaching all that much besides "buy Avi Arad's toyline." It reminds me of when someone was praising BTAS in one of those mainstream articles like on Vulture, and got bless the show, but they were talking about the adult themes it supposedly tackled until the author eventually ran out of legitimate ideas and resorted to 'old people/gentrification' from Paging the Crime Doctor lol.
I think there's some merit to it. The show was heavily serialized, included multiple story arcs and sub-plots, dealt with a lot of real life issues, a lot of characters had depth, etc.

I'm not saying it was perfect or "timeless" but it definitely raised the bar for storytelling to some degree.

Ed Nygma

I think there's some merit to it. The show was heavily serialized, included multiple story arcs and sub-plots, dealt with a lot of real life issues, a lot of characters had depth, etc.

I'm not saying it was perfect or "timeless" but it definitely raised the bar for storytelling to some degree.
Oh absolutely, but I think people mistake/conflate the notion that X-Men deals with prejudice, that every project about them necessarily has some important message to the betterment of society. The films made since 2000? For the most part, yes. The 1992 cartoon? Ehhh not so much.

I still love it in its kitschy way but it was like the Ninja Turtles only with colorful humans; people loved the characters and deep world building. BTAS was where it was at for more serious stories about human nature, at least as much as a cartoon can realistically tackle.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member

Not to take away from what I'm sure is sincerity on the part of whoever made this special, but the idea that X-Men was "unlike any cartoon that came before it" is kind of nonsense. It was a slightly better done Captain Planet; in many ways it was like the cartoons behind its time like GI Joe, just a bit more preachy while basically not teaching all that much besides "buy Avi Arad's toyline."

That wouldn't exactly be a winning sales pitch from the company to use in a fluff piece way.

I always joke about Captain Planet being my absolute favorite superhero cartoon before I saw Batman and X-Men. I have pictures of my first trip to Disney World, where my wardrobe was heavily reliant on TMNT and Captain Planet. I tend to look at Batman as the cartoon that brought cinema to TV animation, and X-Men really brought the feel of bronze age superhero comics to superhero cartoons. It feels that much amplified when the comics, games and merchandise were as popular as they were at the time. It wasn't the first serious cartoon, or serial cartoon, or anything but it was part of the early 90s wave and was the first Marvel cartoon to really break from the cute and cuddly superhero cartoons that were available in the 80s and 70s.

Last edited:

GRPHX

The resurrection of X-Men:TAS was done entirely out of commercial concerns. The impact of Invincible and The Boys caused MCU garbage to lose credibility. They don't care about quality or Fox Kids legacy, otherwise they wouldn't fire Beau DeMayo. This guy really tried to produce something of quality. I'm worried about the future of X-Men '97. I think Disney will disrupt the dark-adult tone of the series and insert a social message to the extent that it disrupts the plot or spoils the character development story of the series by basing everything on multiverse nonsense. I hope they fix their mistakes and rehire this guy before it's too late.

If we're talking about '90s works, both X-Men TAS and SM:TAS followed the path blazed by BTAS. In fact, as a series, XTAS is definitely more inspired by BTAS than SM-TAS inspired BTAS. Perhaps the only examples of Captain Planet are Iron Man TAS or 94 FF. But these two GOAT's could never be described as such with their top places. Even though today's superhero shows are few in number, they are far behind from capturing the sincerity of the 90s. I don't understand why there are so many lighthearted superhero/antihero shows. The colors and shadows are very bright, the character temperaments are childish, there are no dramatic arcs in the events described. There were three exceptions to this, surprisingly Carmen San Diego, Invincible and finally X-Men 97. This took me back in time. Superhero shows need to be dirtier, darker, more chaotic, and more dramatic, just like comic books. More serious, cooler. That's why I've never liked nonsense like Across the Spider-Verse or the Wokist MCU. .

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I don't understand why there are so many lighthearted superhero/antihero shows. The colors and shadows are very bright, the character temperaments are childish, there are no dramatic arcs in the events described. There were three exceptions to this, surprisingly Carmen San Diego, Invincible and finally X-Men 97. This took me back in time. Superhero shows need to be dirtier, darker, more chaotic, and more dramatic, just like comic books. More serious, cooler. That's why I've never liked nonsense like Across the Spider-Verse or the Wokist MCU.

You're can prefer whatever style your prefer, but every single superhero thing can't be just nonstop DBZ battles and every superhero doesn't need to be Batman. No offense, but that sounds like angry teenage boy logic. We need the lighter superhero fare as well as the dark stuff; the two styles compliment one another. If all superhero media were exactly the same, then the genre would be boring since there'd be no variety. BTW, 'wokist' isn't a word.
Even though today's superhero shows are few in number, they are far behind from capturing the sincerity of the 90s.
That's because it's not the 90's anymore. That was the past. Best not to live in it.

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
The resurrection of X-Men:TAS was done entirely out of commercial concerns. The impact of Invincible and The Boys caused MCU garbage to lose credibility. They don't care about quality or Fox Kids legacy, otherwise they wouldn't fire Beau DeMayo. This guy really tried to produce something of quality. I'm worried about the future of X-Men '97. I think Disney will disrupt the dark-adult tone of the series and insert a social message to the extent that it disrupts the plot or spoils the character development story of the series by basing everything on multiverse nonsense. I hope they fix their mistakes and rehire this guy before it's too late.

If we're talking about '90s works, both X-Men TAS and SM:TAS followed the path blazed by BTAS. In fact, as a series, XTAS is definitely more inspired by BTAS than SM-TAS inspired BTAS. Perhaps the only examples of Captain Planet are Iron Man TAS or 94 FF. But these two GOAT's could never be described as such with their top places. Even though today's superhero shows are few in number, they are far behind from capturing the sincerity of the 90s. I don't understand why there are so many lighthearted superhero/antihero shows. The colors and shadows are very bright, the character temperaments are childish, there are no dramatic arcs in the events described. There were three exceptions to this, surprisingly Carmen San Diego, Invincible and finally X-Men 97. This took me back in time. Superhero shows need to be dirtier, darker, more chaotic, and more dramatic, just like comic books. More serious, cooler. That's why I've never liked nonsense like Across the Spider-Verse or the Wokist MCU.
It's almost amazing how wrong this post is, I mean even the first few sentences you make it clear you really don't know what you're talking about.
Because for one the idea the Boys or Invincible somehow made the MCU lose credibility is hilariously incorrect and then Disney was already having talks about bringing back X-Men before either of those shows premiered, back in 2019.

And the idea Disney will disrupt the show to add a social message is insane because the X-Men are already a social message, like you're over here complaining about "woke" stuff like the X-Men aren't already about racism.

GRPHX

And the idea Disney will disrupt the show to add a social message is insane because the X-Men are already a social message, like you're over here complaining about "woke" stuff like the X-Men aren't already about racism.
I already know this, but stop using it as leverage. What I mean here is that the creative engine dies and the plot loses its functioning and the series becomes a tool rather than an production. Either you don't understand me or you have bad intentions. That's why I said Beau DeMayo should be re-employed. I think Disney has bad intentions and will ruin the show. I'm just interested in honoring the legacy of Fox Kids and the memory of TAS. That is all. As you said, X-Men gives enough social messages. I don't want to see the series lose its gritty, adult tone and turn into something childish. I want a series that gives enough social messages within its own scenario and plot but I don't want to have social messages gushing out from every corner like a pop-up. What's weird about this? To me, what is beautiful is that everything exists in balance. It is good when social message, social justice, action, drama and comedy are in a certain balance. DeMayo, in my opinion, was the man who achieved this balance.

You're can prefer whatever style your prefer, but every single superhero thing can't be just nonstop DBZ battles and every superhero doesn't need to be Batman. No offense, but that sounds like angry teenage boy logic. We need the lighter superhero fare as well as the dark stuff; the two styles compliment one another. If all superhero media were exactly the same, then the genre would be boring since there'd be no variety. BTW, 'wokist' isn't a word.

That's because it's not the 90's anymore. That was the past. Best not to live in it.
Of course, I think there should be diversity. My complaint is that while I love hamburgers, they are always served salad or rarely hamburgers.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Let's please tone it down with the "woke" comments since such discussions usually only lead to pointless and unnecessary arguing between users. X-Men '97 doesn't seem to have anything "forced" in it, and I doubt that will change. If anything I find it weirder some of the stories they're adapting rather than squeezing in any gratuitous social messages.

It's fine if people disagree, don't like the show or anything else, but remember to keep things civilized, respect each other's opinions and try not to start arguments out of nothing.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
X-Men 97 crew want to do a X-Men Animated Movie:
My dream is the show reviving the Marvel Animated Universe for a good ten years and THEN spawning off into movies. Like in a couple years Spider-Man '98 debuts and then relaunches for Iron Man TAS, Fantastic Four TAS, and Incredible Hulk TAS (that don't suck for once). And finally some animated series for heroes in that Universe that need them like Captain America, Thor, and the Avengers, as well as perhaps a Marvel Universe show spotlighting everything else. And after these shows have run their course THEN to bring them to the big screen for a Marvel Animated Cinematic Universe.

Give Marvel credit for knowing how much fans wanted these Universes and versions of the characters. DC never really got how important the DCAU was to us and now with Kevin Conroy gone it's too late.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 80th birthday to George Lucas. The Star Wars Franchise has been one of my favorites since childhood.
There were apparently whispers at Universal of a Jaws remake a few years ago.
Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Featured Posts