“Checkered Past” News & Discussion

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Could CP air any action shows (not anime)? I dont know which ones they still have the rights to (and certain ones like the DCAU are probably in the no chance category), but there must be some action shows from the 90s-2000s they still have the rights to (and if they get desperate, they can even go into the 80s vault and drag out some of those shows).
I highly doubt it. The whole point of Checkered Past was supposed to be Adult Swim's version of The Cartoon Cartoon Show. Airing action shows on the block just wouldn't really fit, IMO.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Could CP air any action shows (not anime)? I dont know which ones they still have the rights to (and certain ones like the DCAU are probably in the no chance category), but there must be some action shows from the 90s-2000s they still have the rights to (and if they get desperate, they can even go into the 80s vault and drag out some of those shows).
That would seem unnecessary, since Adult Swim already has a block for action shows: Toonami. And don't anyone tell me "That's an anime block!" It's not. It's an action cartoon block. It only became a prominently anime block after the ratings success of both Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z. There's no reason why CN couldn't air some retro action shows on AS Toonami if they wanted to.

parkersfan89

samurai jack is coming soon to CP! if ur expecting action shows!

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
That would seem unnecessary, since Adult Swim already has a block for action shows: Toonami. And don't anyone tell me "That's an anime block!" It's not. It's an action cartoon block. It only became a prominently anime block after the ratings success of both Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z. There's no reason why CN couldn't air some retro action shows on AS Toonami if they wanted to.
while technically true, lets be realistic
a) toonami = toon/anime tsunami
b) anime is more attractive for everyone
c) there's more anime to choose from than action toons

if they really cared about their content and not profit they would air at least the roulette shows (space ghost, birdman, dino boy, galaxy trio) or real adventures of jonny quest again, but they don't and won't

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Toonami is airing the new season of the Superman show soon… so it’s not all anime, just mainly anime. Primal season 3 will likely end up on Toonami too, even if they aren’t lucky enough to get premieres of it.

Airing 60 year old cartoons like original Space Ghost isn’t going to happen either on Checkered Past or Toonami. Most of those shows only have under 20 episodes. It was probably a mistake airing them so much in the Moltar era, since even then they seemed very dated and simple compared to shows like Robotech. They probably should’ve swapped out Roulette for a show like Silverhawks or Teknoman and gotten better ratings. Plus that would have helped them avoid the awkward :15 and :45 start times Roulette forced on the other shows.

They might work better on MeTV Toons which has a focus on older animation. But Byer has tweeted that he believes those shows are now adult swim only. I imagine this is because characters like Birdman and Space Ghost are associated with AS shows, even if they originated in family friendly programs.

Zorak Masaki

They might work better on MeTV Toons which has a focus on older animation. But Byer has tweeted that he believes those shows are now adult swim only. I imagine this is because characters like Birdman and Space Ghost are associated with AS shows, even if they originated in family friendly programs.

Space Ghost and his supporting cast showed up on Jellystone, which is definitely a family show.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
That is true. And surprisingly Cartoon Planet was able to return to CN for a while in the 2010s with a new series, despite the original series having moved over to AS in the 2000s. Maybe these rules are evolving. Jellystone was made by WB animation for Max so it could be different than a CN original doing something.

Edit: I also just remembered Space ghost was conspicuously absent in the 2010s Cartoon Planet. I think he was only in one skit where his face was randomly shown miniature inside of a coffee mug? The show was all Brak and Zorak shorts. I’m unsure if this is because George Lowe was not doing voiceover work at this time, or if there was an issue with using the Space Ghost character on CN.

Last edited:

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
lets be realistic
Counterpoints: My Adventures with Superman, Primal, Unicorn: Warriors Eternal and Samurai Jack.

if they really cared about their content and not profit they would air at least the roulette shows (space ghost, birdman, dino boy, galaxy trio) or real adventures of jonny quest again, but they don't and won't
Adult Swim not airing the Roulette shows on CKP has nothing to do with them not caring about their content, it's more to do with those shows being too dang old for either side of Cartoon Network's schedule. They'll likely only pop up on Adult Swim as a goof, like an April Fool's Day prank or something.

Conttactt

Counterpoints: My Adventures with Superman, Primal, Unicorn: Warriors Eternal and Samurai Jack.
Counterpoint: 3 of the 4 listed shows did not even premier on Toonami. 2 of them have a generally negative reputation among Toonami viewers.

It’s cool that 25 years ago Toonami aired western content. It’s a new era though, and most people coming to Toonami are doing so to watch anime since it’s the only place on cable to watch it.

Primal is an extreme minority among western action content that actually fits a midnight block. Stuff like MAWS and UWE was comically out of place on a midnight AS block.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
It’s cool that 25 years ago Toonami aired western content. It’s a new era though, and most people coming to Toonami are doing so to watch anime since it’s the only place on cable to watch it.
Then Warner Brothers should bring back Boomeraction for fans of non-anime action shows, although I still contend that Toonami doesn't need to be exclusively anime. That's a better idea to me than transforming Checkered Past into an action block. I wouldn't for action to take over CKP the way that anime took over Toonami.

Checkerboard said:
while technically true, lets be realistic

Points a and b are debatable, and c isn't rue at all. Hanna-Barbera alone has produced many actions cartoons in over 30 years, and that's not including the shows based on DC properties. If anything, the opposite is true. WB would have an easier time filling the airwaves with the American action properties that they already own than they would acquiring action cartoons from Japan.

Last edited:

parkersfan89

CP's schedule for 5/6/24-5/10/24 (Note: this week is SJ's debut on CP):​

May 6, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Ed, Edd n Eddy - "I Am Curious Ed / No Speak Da Ed"
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Ed, Edd n Eddy - "Cool Hand Ed / Too Smart for His Own Ed" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Spider's Little Daddy / Tricycle of Terror" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Dumb Luck / No Body Loves Grim" (repeat)

May 7, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Ed, Edd n Eddy - "Who's Minding the Ed? / Pick an Ed" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Ed, Edd n Eddy - "Truth or Ed / This Won't Hurt an Ed" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Lil' Porkchop / Skarred for Life" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "House of Pain / A Grim Prophecy / Mandy Bites Dog" (repeat)

May 8, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Ed, Edd n Eddy - "Tinker Ed / The Good, The Bad and The Ed" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Ed, Edd n Eddy - "Tight End Ed / 'Tween a Rock and an Ed Place" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Nursery Crimes / My Peeps"
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Bully Boogie / Here Thar Be Dwarves!" (repeat)

May 9, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Ed, Edd n Eddy - "All Eds Are Off / Smile for the Ed" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Ed, Edd n Eddy - "Run Ed Run / A Town Called Ed" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Nigel Planter and the Chamber Pot of Secrets / Circus of Fear" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Which Came First? / Substitute Teacher" (repeat)

May 10, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Don't Be a Baby / Dial M for Monkey: Peltra / G.I.R.L. Squad" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Sports a Poppin' / Koosalagoopagoop / Project Dee Dee" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - Samurai Jack - "The Beginning"
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - Samurai Jack - "The Samurai Called Jack"
In honor of SJ joining CP....

Attachments

• samurai utonium.png
    samurai utonium.png
    662.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Conttactt

Then Warner Brothers should bring back Boomeraction for fans of non-anime action shows, although I still contend that Toonami doesn't need to be exclusively anime. That's a better idea to me than transforming Checkered Past into an action block. I wouldn't for action to take over CKP the way that anime took over Toonami.
They aren’t turning Checkered Past into an action block. Jack is among the intended era of cartoons for this block. As has been discussed to death, there really aren’t that many options available for this block to air. It’s either slide Jack into the rotation to keep things a little fresher, or sit here and watch the same 4 shows on loop forever.

Some of you guys act like anime busted the door down and took Toonami away from western shows when in reality even way back at the start, people were asking for the western shows to be tossed off so they had more room for anime.
Points an and b are debatable, and c isn't rue at all. Hanna-Barbera alone has produced many actions cartoons in over 30 years, and that's not including the shows based on DC properties. If anything, the opposite is true. WB would have an easier time filling the airwaves with the American action properties that they already own than they would acquiring action cartoons from Japan.
It’s very true. Anime releases a swath of content every 4 months. Like at least 50 shows, maybe half of which are action. Western releases for action anime can be counted on one hand for an entire year. You aren’t gonna get people tuning in for old stuff. This even applies to the anime, any time the block has tried something old on the revived block, it’s flopped. Toonami needs new and relevant content at all times to stay afloat, and the west doesn’t provide that anymore.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
@Conttactt: You're correct. I'm not even an action cartoon fan. I like some action cartoons OK, but overall, I prefer comedy. I just get tired of Michael Ouleween acting like Adult Swim is the only thing that matters and all anyone ever asks for on Cartoon Network is action cartoons and anime. I'm not an anime guy. I don't actively dislike anime, I'm just not that into it.

Michael Ouleween's plan of turning CN into an all-ages channel is a good one, but overstuffing AS while starving CN isn't the way to do it. CN can't and shouldn't be nothing but action and anime. 24 hours is a long time and there's enough room on CN's schedule to accommodate all tastes. Adult Swim should go back to being an adult's only program block running on late nights on Cartoon Network.

Bringing this back to Checkered Past, the block is far from perfect, but at least on CKP the channel is offering something else besides edgy action shows and action anime and also something other than running reruns of The Amazing World of Gumball and We Baby Bears in a continuous loop.

harry580

@Conttactt: You're correct. I'm not even an action cartoon fan. I like some action cartoons OK, but overall, I prefer comedy. I just get tired of Michael Ouleween acting like Adult Swim is the only thing that matters and all anyone ever asks for on Cartoon Network is action cartoons and anime. I'm not an anime guy. I don't actively dislike anime, I'm just not that into it.

Michael Ouleween's plan of turning CN into an all-ages channel is a good one, but overstuffing AS while starving CN isn't the way to do it. CN can't and shouldn't be nothing but action and anime. 24 hours is a long time and there's enough room on CN's schedule to accommodate all tastes. Adult Swim should go back to being an adult's only program block running on late nights on Cartoon Network.

Bringing this back to Checkered Past, the block is far from perfect, but at least on CKP the channel is offering something else besides edgy action shows and action anime and also something other than running reruns of The Amazing World of Gumball and We Baby Bears in a continuous loop.
I think all of this can be blamed on things like not only streaming services but gaming & youtube

parkersfan89

will SJ's season 5 be included on CP?

ToonDude03

“Heavens to Murgatroyd!”

My honest opinion, they should just make the WHOLE thing Cartoon Network again. Maybe if they want to keep [as] around, make it air 11pm-5am Mon-Thu + Sunday. then don't have any [as] Friday or Saturday except for some Toonami on Saturdays.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Looking at the Boomerang Imaginary Rebrand pitch really makes me wish that we get this rebrand instead of what we got in 2015.

I was at my local Wal-Mart, and they had merchandise out for the new Garfield movie. There's a plush doll of Baby Garfield that meows, and you have to feed him a piece of lasagna or pizza.
I want to thank both Silverstar and Goldstar for their awesome posts and great presence in this forum. Love ya!
Hey, internet: You all owe Natasha Klein (creator of Primos) an apology. It doesn't matter if you want to watch the show or not. There was no logical reason to unleash that level of vitriol over just a few words, especially before the show has even aired. Now all of y'all line up and tell her you're sorry.

Featured Posts