Adult Swim's New Kid-Friendly Direction

harry580

I wonder why didn't adult swim had a channel in usa, but than again, moe would complain that something like that would fail due to cable companies being greedy just like the hub network did

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Let's not be that punctual. I checked the schedule and they're airing now only two animes. Similarly to how other feeds showed just one or two Cartoon Cartoons for a time. In general, WTV does not air cartoons anywhere anymore (anime is not a cartoon) and the little they might air is basically zero in the pool of other shows.

Checkerboard

I never understood the 24/7 argument. Other feeds overseas with less content had AS as a channel, but USA which has the most content can't? Heck even that SGC2C stream had 5000 viewers at one point.

As for anime and cartoons, well... yes and no. I guess you could simplify it as western/eastern animation.

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
I never understood the 24/7 argument. Other feeds overseas with less content had AS as a channel, but USA which has the most content can't? Heck even that SGC2C stream had 5000 viewers at one point.
Well, other countries had different standards compared to US. What else do you want me to say?
As for anime and cartoons, well... yes and no. I guess you could simplify it as western/eastern animation.
Okay fair enough.

Checkerboard

Well my point was that with even literally a handful of shows they ran AS 24/7, so why can't US when they don't have think about dubbing etc. and literally own everything. They do have hundreds of shows just sitting in the vault. Goes for all the networks. They aren't doing much with it. Count how many shows there are on CN or Boomerang right now. In US and abroad. It's not really many. 10-20 at one given time ie month. With literally 500+ shows at their disposal they have more than enough to air them 24/7 for years. They really need only a few acquisitions. They have HD content. They just need to pay for the channel space mainly and staff.

As for the channel, I've settled on WB Toons. I've even come up with a branding idea for it.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Well my point was that with even literally a handful of shows they ran AS 24/7, so why can't US when they don't have think about dubbing etc. and literally own everything. They do have hundreds of shows just sitting in the vault. Goes for all the networks. They aren't doing much with it. Count how many shows there are on CN or Boomerang right now. In US and abroad. It's not really many. 10-20 at one given time ie month. With literally 500+ shows at their disposal they have more than enough to air them 24/7 for years. They really need only a few acquisitions. They have HD content. They just need to pay for the channel space mainly and staff.

As for the channel, I've settled on WB Toons. I've even come up with a branding idea for it.
Since when does Adult Swim have "hundreds of shows"? Half of the shows on AS were acquisitions from FOX and The WB Network. Most of the FOX shows are now off-limits thanks to Disney purchasing Fox Entertainment. And most of the anime that aired on Toonami in the 90s and 00s Williams Street doesn't have the rights to anymore.

There's also the issue that Adult Swim can't run TV-14 and TV-MA rated shows during that day. They would need to air more family-friendly programming during the daytime, which would defeat the entire purpose of a 24 hour Adult Swim channel.

Checkerboard said:
(anime is not a cartoon)

That's like saying that a turkey isn't a bird. Yes, it is. A turkey is a specific species of bird, while anime is a specific style of cartoon.

Last edited:

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
I mean, they could run TV-14 programs during the day. Lots of channels do, IIRC. But yeah, TV-MA is off limits. And AS barely has TV-14 programming either. There’s the Fox shows, which have become increasingly slim pickings. There’s a few anime series that barely qualify. And Rick and Morty, which is practically on the verge of TV-MA. (Maybe “verge” programming could make it, since Comedy Central airs censored South Park reruns during the day.)

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
On the topic of international Adult Swims, the Latin American version airs the Green Lantern cartoon and the Canadian Adult Swim airs Pelswick so I guess the international versions are having kid stuff on their schedules too. Don't know if those markets have as much backlash. In America's case, it seems like the USA version is getting the worst of the kiddification.

aegisrawks

On the topic of international Adult Swims, the Latin American version airs the Green Lantern cartoon and the Canadian Adult Swim airs Pelswick so I guess the international versions are having kid stuff on their schedules too. Don't know if those markets have as much backlash. In America's case, it seems like the USA version is getting the worst of the kiddification.
Seriously, Cartoon Network and or Adult Swim should just cut to the chase and make the channel for adults but still air cartoons that could appeal to children. Win Win.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Another way to offset this direction is to air Game of Thrones reruns after midnight.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Some of these suggestions are things that already happened. If you rewind the tape, it’s going to play out the same way. If you shrink adult swim down to the hours it had in 2002, with three hours each on Saturday and Sunday, those hours will still do better than the CN hours. AS will end up expanding to weekdays again, and then gaining 2-5 am again. Eventually they’ll end up regaining 5-6 am and the evening hours too. AS getting big isn’t some conspiracy against CN. It is a result of businessmen prioritizing the parts of the network that are succeeding over the parts of the network that are failing to make money. This is a process that played out over decades, with many corporate mergers happening in that time. Every regime regarded AS as a success, and it has gradually expanded under numerous presidents of CN and AS. In fact the process of regaining the lost hours would play out far faster than the original process, since the ratings of CN are dismal now compared to the past.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
Angry hot take: Adult Swim was a mistake
I don't think the concept behind Adult Swim (designating a special space for stuff like Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, O Canada and other fringe stuff that didn't fit on mainstream Cartoon Network) was a bad idea, but expanding it into nearly a separate entity unto itself probably was. They probably also should've chosen a different name for the block; by stamping the label Adult Swim onto it, it basically sealed the notion that standard CN was just for kids, and the Powers That Be ran with that premise, and now here we are.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I don't know where to post this...
but Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is in development of Disney.

I guess Nick is officially done with this franchise for now.
Happy 20th Birthday to the Cartoon Network City Era!

Watching this clip from the Princess Power special "Princess Royal Wedding", where Queen Ryung & Queen Olivia get married, makes me glad that the show was picked up by a streaming service. If it was picked up by the Junior 3 (Disney Jr, Nick Jr , & PBS Kids), an episode like this either wouldn't be made or if it,would come when the show was went to a less available channel
Happy 20th anniversary to my favorite CN logo and CN City.
Today marks the 20th Year Anniversary of Cartoon Network's "City Era". This era ties with the "Powerhouse Era" as my favorite era through out the channel's history.

Featured Posts