"Batman: Caped Crusader (Amazon Prime)" Animated Series News & Discussion Part 2 (Spoilers)

#TeamMike

Aw that's a shame. I remember imdb said Kevin Conroy was voicing Thomas Wayne in the Caped Crusader which sounded believeable since it'd likely only be for a short flashback or something, but I guess not.

Hell the site still has Conroy credited for Caped Crusader:

I guess that needs to be removed.
IMDB credits are bogus until the actual movie or show comes out. I just sent a request to delete that bit.

I have no idea if the CRISIS part of IGN’s supposed scoop is true or not, but Kevin Conroy did not record a voice for CAPED CRUSADER. We were hoping to have him do a voice for the new show (and he was eager to do it) but sadly he passed away before we could make it happen.

As I have to do every so often, I will remind you all once again to take all un-sourced ‘news’ items in the sci-fi/comics/entertainment cybersphere with a huge grain of salt. Occasionally these ‘leaks‘ actually turn out to be true, but often as not they’re just cynical clickbait.
Kind of surprising to see IGN jump the gun like that. Their one of the biggest entertainment media websites out there.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I was so happy to read that article, so I was disappointed that it turned out to be false. Maybe something got mixed up when they were gathering information for their article or they wanted to attract buzz when I haven't heard much good things about that Suicide Squad game. It would have been so wonderful to hear Kevin Conroy voice a character in this show, even if it would be also bittersweet.

colomb

Kind of surprising to see IGN jump the gun like that. Their one of the biggest entertainment media websites out there.
They also helped spread the "Cartoon Network and Warner Bros cancelled shows because too many girls were watching" myth so I can believe it, they aren't like Deadline or Variety.

#TeamMike

They also helped spread the "Cartoon Network and Warner Bros cancelled shows because too many girls were watching" myth so I can believe it, they aren't like Deadline or Variety.
I'm pretty sure it was Paul Dini who said that, actually. It was about Young Justice.

Is this what you were talking about?

In December 2013, Kevin Smith and Paul Dini had a conversation in an episode of Smith's Fat Man on Batman podcast addressing the 2013 cancellation of Tower Prep (created by Dini), Young Justice, Green Lantern: The Animated Series, claiming that the network executives did not want girls watching the programs because "they don't buy toys," and wanted more boys watching. Greg Weisman denied that the show's female viewership was a factor in its cancellation.[52]

From wikipedia

colomb

I'm pretty sure it was Paul Dini who said that, actually. It was about Young Justice.

Is this what you were talking about?

In December 2013, Kevin Smith and Paul Dini had a conversation in an episode of Smith's Fat Man on Batman podcast addressing the 2013 cancellation of Tower Prep (created by Dini), Young Justice, Green Lantern: The Animated Series, claiming that the network executives did not want girls watching the programs because "they don't buy toys," and wanted more boys watching. Greg Weisman denied that the show's female viewership was a factor in its cancellation.[52]

From wikipedia
Yes, that's why I said they helped spread it, without clarifying that he wasn't talking about any superhero show with that rant, or engaging with the slightest fact checking regarding YJ's and TP's viewership numbers or actually asking anybody who actually worked on YJ or from CN to comment.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I kind of assumed WB "leaked" the info so I'm surprised it was inaccurate.
Things get embellished as they move along the grape vine. At best it sounds like someone on the periphery of production heard Conroy was going to record and told someone and as it spread around it became he voiced a role by the time it reached IGN.

Otaku-sempai

Aw that's a shame. I remember imdb said Kevin Conroy was voicing Thomas Wayne in the Caped Crusader which sounded believeable since it'd likely only be for a short flashback or something, but I guess not.

Hell the site still has Conroy credited for Caped Crusader:

I guess that needs to be removed.
Yeah, I've submitted an update for that. Now I need to send another one to delete the entry entirely!

JonnyQuest037

DCAU Historian
I have no idea if the CRISIS part of IGN’s supposed scoop is true or not, but Kevin Conroy did not record a voice for CAPED CRUSADER. We were hoping to have him do a voice for the new show (and he was eager to do it) but sadly he passed away before we could make it happen.

As I have to do every so often, I will remind you all once again to take all un-sourced ‘news’ items in the sci-fi/comics/entertainment cybersphere with a huge grain of salt. Occasionally these ‘leaks‘ actually turn out to be true, but often as not they’re just cynical clickbait.
Thanks for setting the record straight, Bruce! As the saying goes, a lie travels halfway around the world before the truth can get its batsuit on. It's good to nip these false rumors in the bud whenever we can. :)

ichorskeeter

Can't wait to see what you've been cooking up, b.t.!

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
It's obviously disappointing that Kevin Conroy sadly passed away before he could participate in this iteration of Batman. I'm sure whatever role they had in mind for him, he would have loved doing it and been exceptional as always.

However, I do hope this means that they lean away from the B:TAS connection (spiritual or otherwise) in the marketing/promotion of the show now. Both the show and the new voice actor under the animated cowl deserve to be free of those comparisons as much as possible.

EDIT: After two years (First as Thomas Wayne, then as the titular hero himself), Batman: Caped Crusader has now been removed from Conroy's IMDB page.

Last edited:

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Which goes to show that you shouldn't automatically believe what you see on IMDb about upcoming projects.

Absolutely. The initial cast they had on there was a bunch of anime voice actors (a fan with a lot of time on their hands, I guess?) and even Alice Lee as Lois Lane.

Basically everyone but the one voice actor we know will be on the show. Oh well... hopefully we will get a voice cast announcement soon.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Basically everyone but the one voice actor we know will be on the show. Oh well... hopefully we will get a voice cast announcement soon.
Although Amazon released the voice actors of Merry Little Batman through a press release (and in a later article by Animation Magazine), WBD does have an upfront in May if I remember right. Maybe Amazon might also have one around that time (I think it was April last year). We could get a first look then. Or of course San Diego Comic Con in July or New York Comic Con in October. Hmm, I'd guess by summer.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It's in the previous News & Discussion thread (here). But as mentioned no artwork surfaced online other than the promotional poster and a low-res look at another one from an Amazon event (also included in the post I linked). In a way it's pretty cool they managed to avoid any leaks for the show. Even some of the reports or rumors that showed up have been debunked.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

there are many parts of my childhood I wish I could erase from my memories. so much bullying. I was mentally, emotionally and physically traumatized. really, my current personality is me trying to reclaim that part of my life.
Since it's May the Fourth, might as well post this bit of trivia:

DePatie–Freleng Enterprises- known for The Pink Panther, mid-60s Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, many Dr. Seuss specials, The Bod Squad, and Time for Timer- handled the lightsaber effects for Episode IV.
I wonder if the new Dexter's Lab set will have Rude Removal on it. They were okay with putting The Whoopass Girls on the PPG set many years ago that they were advertising on Cartoon Network (albeit they muted every time it was said in the pilot). This set's clearly for adults.
They should file a lawsuit against MeTV Toons for stealing the classic cartoons away from Boomerang. Boomerang found the classic cartoons first.
Shiloh Otter wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
I will miss your use of Mouse as your pfp, but since your name is LinusFan303, having Linus as your pfp only makes sense.

Featured Posts