Batman Under The Red Hood: Part of the DCAU?

Dallas Kinard

Could Under The Red Hood be part of the DCAU continuity if you wanted it to? I'd personally like to see if it could fit somewhere after JLU's "Destroyer" kind of like a bridge from JLU to Batman Beyond. I didn't do enough research yet to find any notable contradictions, but it doesn't seem to contradict anything that happened in BTAS or TNBA. Let me know!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Amazo is different in the DCAU continuity than the Amazo in the Red Hood for one, off the top of my head.

Dallas Kinard

Hm true but I guess we could say it's a different AMAZO, such as a new model or something......
According to Wikipedia:
Amazo appears in the 2010 Warner Bros. direct-to-DVD animation Batman: Under the Red Hood voiced by Fred Tatasciore who was uncredited for the role. He was being delivered to Black Mask's gang when some of Red Hood's henchmen took him away on a truck. Batman interfered and in the struggle Amazo was activated, apparently with the powers of Superman, Supergirl, Power Girl, or Martian Manhunter (i.e., invulnerability, super-strength, flight, and heat-beam eye blasts). He proved to be quite formidable, but was subdued after Nightwing showed up to aid his former mentor. Amazo's head was blown off with plastique and his remains were confiscated by Batman.

In the DCAU, Lex built a second AMAZO made like him so we could just say Black Mask ordered some AMAZO units from the black market that could have been stolen from Luthor's old plans or something.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
True, that would be a good way to shoe horn it in. But there was just not enough time for Batman to have taken on Jason, and evidenced by the Lost Years mini series, Bruce took only Batgirl on after Dick left. Alternatively, it would be weird if Jason Todd became Robin after "Destroyer" or the "Epilogue" flashback or the flashback in ROTJ.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
I would say a lack of direct contradiction isn't enough to say two stories are in continuity with one another. I guess one question I'd ask is what do you personally gain if the Red Hood and JLU were in continuity with one another.

Dallas Kinard

I'm developing a chronological viewing order for the DCAU for a first time viewer and was just wondering if I could add another feature length movie to enhance the DCAU saga.

CyberCubed

It fits in better with Young Justice than the DCAU. Not to mention the same Batman voice.

Dallas Kinard

Could any of the other Movies be fit in with Young Justice? Like JL Crisis on Two Earths and Doom? I mean I'd think YJ would take place before those two movies....

Wolf Boy2

@the OP: Have you seen "Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker"? It basically IS the DCAU's version of "Under the Red Hood." It's the same general storyline: Joker does something horrible to a Robin and
Robin returns as a villain
. "Red Hood" is more violent, but I think ROTJ is a much more satisfying story (and the Joker actually dies).

I cannot imagine UTRH and ROTJ being in the same universe, because the ROTJ flashback is presented as the worst thing Bruce has seen since his parents' murder. Furthermore, "Tim Drake" in the DCAU is more like Jason Todd anyway. Two very similar Robins both brutalized by Joker? It lessens the impact of ROTJ (which is THE turning point in DCAU Batman's life, changing him from JLU Batman into Old Bruce).

beyond94

Could any of the other Movies be fit in with Young Justice? Like JL Crisis on Two Earths and Doom? I mean I'd think YJ would take place before those two movies....
I really don't consider JL Doom a fit in with Young Justice or Under The Red Hood. It's more towards the continuity of The Superman Batman series of films, Green Lantern Emerald Knights and the upcoming Flashpoint despite some of the voices being different with the exception of Kevin Conroy and Nathan Fillion.

Dallas Kinard

Yea, I'm developing sort of a "loose" continuity between all of the DC original movies. I have an order I'll be showing them in to a first time viewer.

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths was originally written as a bridge movie between season 2 of Justice League and season 1 of Justice League Unlimited. I'm pretty sure someone said so explicitly during the PR run-up to the movie's release.

That's one reason why it ends with the JL considering an expansion of the membership roster and Wonder Woman keeping the Invisible Jet (which appears without explanation in JLU). To my mind, this is also why J'onn J'onzz makes the decision to return to Earth at the end of the movie, when it would make far, far more sense to me for him to have stayed on the alternate Earth with Rose and find what happiness he can with someone he knows is his soul mate while also helping the world get on its feet and aim for a more free and just society.

However, there are changes that can't be explained away, like Hal Jordan being GL instead of John Stewart. I'm pretty sure Aquaman also had both his hands. On the one hand, you can bleep over both of them pretty easily without much of a problem and fit it right where it was originally written to be. On the other hand, if you're enough of a continuity hound to try and fit the movies in when the production teams took some trouble to separate them from the older shows, it might not be so easy to bleep over those continuity issues.

Hanshotfirst1138

Morphinomenal!
I've always wondered how much of COTE was changed from the original DCAU script, and I've always been curious about what happened between " Starcrossed" and JLU. I mean, technically the movie does fill the gap in that that the Leaguers discover they were spread too thin and needed more members, they built a new Watchtower, etc. It would just be fun to see the DCAU version of events. Obviously, you can pretty much infer the big beats.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I've always wondered how much of COTE was changed from the original DCAU script, and I've always been curious about what happened between " Starcrossed" and JLU. I mean, technically the movie does fill the gap in that that the Leaguers discover they were spread too thin and needed more members, they built a new Watchtower, etc. It would just be fun to see the DCAU version of events. Obviously, you can pretty much infer the big beats.
The late Mr. McDuffie did talk here and now about the original story on his forums. Always was a side project I never to yet, to catalog his answers and maybe screen grab the posts since we don't know how long those forums will be kept up.

Wolf Boy2

Is it THAT hard to watch COTE and just tell yourself, "In the DCAU, it's the same but with John Stewart"? I don't even see why there's a need to explain it away. It's almost the exact same story they would've written for the DCAU version, and it's not hard to figure out how it would work in that universe.

However, I don't really care about in-universe continuity anyway. To me, "canon" is the canon of a creator or team's work. For example, "Fantastic Four" and "New Gods" would be filed in my mind as part of the canon of Jack Kirby's work. I couldn't care less about their universes ... the "continuity" for me is the progression of Kirby's art and storytelling techniques over the years, and how is art progressed between FF and Fourth World (and maybe even a heady debate over whether Sinnot or Royer was a better inker). I view Timm's DC animation the same way. I simply don't care about story contradictions or making things "fit," because when viewed as a canon of DC films it doesn't matter (and doesn't contradict).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I still feel The Casagrandes was a slipshod clone of The Loud House that didn't need to exist, but I have to admit its theme song is catchy. It's a bouncy little earworm.
there are many parts of my childhood I wish I could erase from my memories. so much bullying. I was mentally, emotionally and physically traumatized. really, my current personality is me trying to reclaim that part of my life.
Since it's May the Fourth, might as well post this bit of trivia:

DePatie–Freleng Enterprises- known for The Pink Panther, mid-60s Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, many Dr. Seuss specials, The Bod Squad, and Time for Timer- handled the lightsaber effects for Episode IV.
I wonder if the new Dexter's Lab set will have Rude Removal on it. They were okay with putting The Whoopass Girls on the PPG set many years ago that they were advertising on Cartoon Network (albeit they muted every time it was said in the pilot). This set's clearly for adults.
They should file a lawsuit against MeTV Toons for stealing the classic cartoons away from Boomerang. Boomerang found the classic cartoons first.

Featured Posts