Cartoon Network International News Thread 12.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegularCapital

Staff member
I would expect channel management to be more unified and the channels will start to look more identical in every country. In the same way that the remaining Disney Channels in Europe are now similar, and Nickelodeon using different types of pan-feeds.

In Italy and Spain, I would expect Warner Bros. Discovery to buy out Mediaset's half of Boing (and Cartoonito Italy), the company depended on Mediaset for Digital Terrestrial Distribution, as Discovery has a presence on DTT in both countries (and Frisbee and K2 are likely to go), the partnership is probably no longer needed.

Francisque

I would expect channel management to be more unified and the channels will start to look more identical in every country. In the same way that the remaining Disney Channels in Europe are now similar, and Nickelodeon using different types of pan-feeds.

In Italy and Spain, I would expect Warner Bros. Discovery to buy out Mediaset's half of Boing (and Cartoonito Italy), the company depended on Mediaset for Digital Terrestrial Distribution, as Discovery has a presence on DTT in both countries (and Frisbee and K2 are likely to go), the partnership is probably no longer needed.
Probably, but maybe not as far as Paramount.

Discovery's are more heavily "localized", so that'll give them an option to better localize the channels.

So, for instance, I wouldn't be surprised if CN in Poland was moved from German management to Polish management, the same one as TVN and the Discovery channels, Poland being an important centre for Discovery CEE/EMEA.
CN Poland should likely look "more original" than now

Countries like Italy, France, Spain (+Portugal) are probably hardly going to be controlled by a "northern" team, Discovery has a heavy local presence in Italy (especially) and Spain.

But interesting times, we should see a consolidation

Last edited:

Walker

Completely agree with RA

They're useless because the channels don't broadcast in Russia anymore, they're completely unneeded as they're not subject to Russian control, which forced the channel to put ratings
You said they don't broadcast in Russia, but I guess they shared a video with Russian audio on YouTube a few days ago.
It's useless because the channel isn't broadcasting in Russia right now.
You said they don't broadcast in Russia, but I guess they shared a video with Russian audio on YouTube a few days ago.

Francisque

Russian doesn't mean Russia.

Russian is spoken as a second language in many CIS (Central Asia etc.) countries and beyond.

But ratings are not needed.

I realize it's simpler to broadcast a feed with a Czech licence (or insert another EU country) inside of the EU and the countries that signed the European Convention on Transfrontier Television, but ratings are not required by many international jurisdiction outside, at least not on external feeds.

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony TV channels

If Frisbee and K2 would go, what would fill the void? We already have Boing Plus that is just a timeshift of Boing sitting here since POP closed. At at first, Boing Plus seemed to be a temporary channel.

Francisque

Meh, speaking of Italy, I don't know whether K2 and Frisbee will both go, they're relatively successful, in a kind of "sick way".

But one should go, 4 free channels is too much, and undermines Cartoon Network and Boomerang as paying TV channels.

Speaking of them, another thing they could do, is to move Boomerang on DTT, replacing K2 (shutting down Frisbee), leaving CN as the only paying TV channel.

Boomerang and Cartoonito Italy already kind of overlap, they'd stop doing so, Boomerang becoming sort of "classics + new" more mature mixture, and Cartoonito focusing on a preschooler audience.

But I don't know what their plans are, to be honest. I doubt they would want to drop completely the Cartoon Network brand, following the Spanish mistake anyway. I'd be kind of sad too if that happened.
Cartoon Network as a FTA channel would probably lose its premium feeling, but I prefer it Boing eventually taking over...

Anyway, time will tell, anything can happen.

As for Poland and CEE, I wouldn't be surprised if, given Discovery's current structure where CEE feeds (the also MENA and Africa) are controlled in Poland, would become the home for the CEE and RSEE Cartoon Network feeds and maybe Boomerang CEE.
Discovery has a localized team in the Benelux too, they'd gain local control over all the former Warner Media feeds
"Munich" would eventually become a local player for GAS only.

But it has to be seen, literally everything has to do about restructuring plans, which WILL happen for sure, also in Europe.

But so far, the plans seem more inclined towards Discovery way, probably since internationally they have a bigger local expertise on local markets

If Frisbee and K2 would go, what would fill the void? We already have Boing Plus that is just a timeshift of Boing sitting here since POP closed. At at first, Boing Plus seemed to be a temporary channel.
I'll give you one secret: nobody cares inside of these companies about filling voids about closed channels, just make more money!

A consolidation of the number of channels is inevitable, K2 and Frisbee are relatively poor channels anyway

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Why useless? Is it because of recent events or because of the size of the russian rating symbols?
Russian ratings are too strict. Lots of Warner Media cartoons are 12+ in Russia, which is insane (especially for Boomerang, because it targets age 4-9) and definitely makes European parents think Boomerang and CN are unsafe for their children.

Francisque

That's true, indeed.

People think these ratings should be universal, but they're not. Boomerang CEE Germany, which starts from a raw feed, never had them, I don't understand why non-Russia RSEE and non-Russia CEE Boomerang feed have to have them

Markus Nelis

Do you realize that Russian isn't only spoken in Russia. There are a lot of Russians in the Baltics and people there learn the language.

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony TV channels
Meh, speaking of Italy, I don't know whether K2 and Frisbee will both go, they're relatively successful, in a kind of "sick way".

But one should go, 4 free channels is too much, and undermines Cartoon Network and Boomerang as paying TV channels.

Speaking of them, another thing they could do, is to move Boomerang on DTT, replacing K2 (shutting down Frisbee), leaving CN as the only paying TV channel.

Boomerang and Cartoonito Italy already kind of overlap, they'd stop doing so, Boomerang becoming sort of "classics + new" more mature mixture, and Cartoonito focusing on a preschooler audience.

But I don't know what their plans are, to be honest. I doubt they would want to drop completely the Cartoon Network brand, following the Spanish mistake anyway. I'd be kind of sad too if that happened.
Cartoon Network as a FTA channel would probably lose its premium feeling, but I prefer it Boing eventually taking over...

Anyway, time will tell, anything can happen.

As for Poland and CEE, I wouldn't be surprised if, given Discovery's current structure where CEE feeds (the also MENA and Africa) are controlled in Poland, would become the home for the CEE and RSEE Cartoon Network feeds and maybe Boomerang CEE.
Discovery has a localized team in the Benelux too, they'd gain local control over all the former Warner Media feeds
"Munich" would eventually become a local player for GAS only.

But it has to be seen, literally everything has to do about restructuring plans, which WILL happen for sure, also in Europe.

But so far, the plans seem more inclined towards Discovery way, probably since internationally they have a bigger local expertise on local markets

I'll give you one secret: nobody cares inside of these companies about filling voids about closed channels, just make more money!

A consolidation of the number of channels is inevitable, K2 and Frisbee are relatively poor channels anyway
They can always close one between Frisbee and K2 and make Cartoonito Plus at its place. I'm joking, the Boomerang option is better.

BlooMac

Russian ratings are too strict. Lots of Warner Media cartoons are 12+ in Russia, which is insane (especially for Boomerang, because it targets age 4-9) and definitely makes European parents think Boomerang and CN are unsafe for their children.
Barely anything on CN RSEE has been 12+ for the past few years. Adventure Time is pretty much the only show and it only comes back for a special occasion (either for a new Distant Lands episode or a marathon). The only other instances lately have been last year's brief reruns of The Looney Tunes Show and Regular Show fillers that still pop up during breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I watched the first episode of Yuru Camp this morning on a whim, though I did have slight influence from a Twitter friend who really likes it. Can't believe I waited until now to give it a shot, because I really enjoyed it.
I've said this before, but the Ignore button is a life saver.
Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.

Featured Posts