General International TV Channels Thread

RegularCapital

Staff member
Hello and welcome to the General International TV Channels thread. :)

Here you can discuss other channels from around the world including TV Shows, Promos, Rebrands (Past, Present and Future), Advertisements, Channel Launches and Removals, Schedules and other technical aspects such as DOG's (Digitally Originated Graphics), Aspect Ratios, ECP's (End Credits Promotion), Encryption, Broadcast Tests, Broadcast Licences and Interactive Services.

You can also talk about different Cable, Satellite, IPTV and OTT (Over the Top) providers.

You are allowed to make comparisons to channels that air animated shows such as Cartoon Network and Disney Channel.

I'm hoping that this thread will become a mini "DigitalSpy" :D

To get the ball rolling, I particularly like this schedule screen on E4 in the UK (at 0:32), I like the way the schedule "steps" in, the promo and ECP's also work in a similar fashion.

[video=youtube;V1xwhd-bTtc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1xwhd-bTtc[/video]

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
My first contribution to this thread is the fact that MEO is about to get a new movie channel: Cinemundo. This channel is not new (it has been around for two months in Angola and Mozambique) and is an alternative movie channel. By "alternative" I mean it airs movies that are less frequently seen on basic cable channels, or the kind of movies AXN Black airs.

The channel will come to Portugal on September 18th and will be a MEO exclusive. Unfortunately I have NOS and I can't watch it, but this new channel looks interesting by the look of things.
The channel has a Facebook page but not a website.

RegularCapital

Staff member
My first contribution to this thread is the fact that MEO is about to get a new movie channel: Cinemundo. This channel is not new (it has been around for two months in Angola and Mozambique) and is an alternative movie channel. By "alternative" I mean it airs movies that are less frequently seen on basic cable channels, or the kind of movies AXN Black airs.

The channel will come to Portugal on September 18th and will be a MEO exclusive. Unfortunately I have NOS and I can't watch it, but this new channel looks interesting by the look of things.
The channel has a Facebook page but not a website.

That channel looks pretty good and airs some films I know, kind of reminds me of Film4.

dcbanners

Fox Sweden will be finally launched in Sweden this month (There's currently a Finnish & Norwegian version of the channel)
TastePR | Pressmeddelande

Also, from 1st September 2014 our National Geographic became fully Swedish (before we got the Norwegian version but with the ad break being split). Also the Coming up next banner used to be in Norwegian but that's finally fixed now :)
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=698413523570144&set=vb.118653498212819&type=2&theater
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=693585827386247&set=vb.118653498212819&type=3&theater

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
That channel looks pretty good and airs some films I know, kind of reminds me of Film4.
It may be the Film4 of Portugal (but probably without the occasional arthouse film).
In fact the channel launched on July 22nd on DSTV's "Bué" packages in Angola and Mozambique. I consider ZAP "the NOS of Angola and Mozambique" and the Portuguese-speaking channels on DSTV "the MEO of Angola and Mozambique", especially because they launched CMTV and Cinemundo to those countries, then ZAP started carrying it.
Speaking of DSTV, they have a movie channel spoken entirely in Brazilian Portuguese: DSTV Pipoca. The channel probably airs kids movies in EU-PT, but I'm not sure. All I know is that it airs in Brazilian Portuguese (Angolans and Mozambicans are exposed to Portuguese dubs (and subtitles) and Brazilian dubs to a lesser extent) but, according to Notícias TV a couple of months back, they said that the channel would start airing movies dubbed into Angolan Portuguese:eek:!

RegularCapital

Staff member
Fox Sweden will be finally launched in Sweden this month (There's currently a Finnish & Norwegian version of the channel)
TastePR | Pressmeddelande

Also, from 1st September 2014 our National Geographic became fully Swedish (before we got the Norwegian version but with the ad break being split). Also the Coming up next banner used to be in Norwegian but that's finally fixed now :)
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=698413523570144&set=vb.118653498212819&type=2&theater
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=693585827386247&set=vb.118653498212819&type=3&theater

Well at least Fox International Channels have the right idea, I hope that Turner (Warner Bros) and Disney will get the hint.
Also every version of FOX outside the USA will broadcast The Walking Dead within 24 hours of the USA broadcast.

The Walking Dead Season 5 Premieres Worldwide Just 24 Hours After US Broadcast

dcbanners

Well at least Fox International Channels have the right idea, I hope that Turner (Warner Bros) and Disney will get the hint.
Also every version of FOX outside the USA will broadcast The Walking Dead within 24 hours of the USA broadcast.

The Walking Dead Season 5 Premieres Worldwide Just 24 Hours After US Broadcast

They wrote about that on the article, very interesting.
Fox Sweden launched their official Facebook page today, and they will start broadcasting on Monday, September 22: https://www.facebook.com/FOXSverige :D
Also, here's the official website: http://www.foxtv.se
I guess they will launch the channel with a brand new look:
Sk_rmavbild_2014_09_10_kl_15_32_10.png

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
There will be changes at AMC Networks over here:
-It was predicted that bio. had it's days counted and it will be replaced by A&E in European markets like Spain and Portugal. (My mother used to watch the channel before it decayed a lot.) The change will take place at the start of October.
-MGM will be replaced by AMC. This version is controlled by Latin Americans and used to air with PT-BR dubs in the past. The change will take place in Novmeber.

RegularCapital

Staff member
There will be changes at AMC Networks over here:
-It was predicted that bio. had it's days counted and it will be replaced by A&E in European markets like Spain and Portugal. (My mother used to watch the channel before it decayed a lot.) The change will take place at the start of October.
-MGM will be replaced by AMC. This version is controlled by Latin Americans and used to air with PT-BR dubs in the past. The change will take place in Novmeber.

Here Bio became Lifetime, even though History, CI and Lifetime are owned by A&E Networks, we never had the A&E Channel, probably because A&E is a famous acronym in the UK for the Accident & Emergency department at the Hospital. :D
Yeah, I know it really means Arts and Entertainment. Also AMC brought Chellomedia, which co-operates the CBS channels in the UK and some other channels around Europe such as Crime and Investigation.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Here Bio became Lifetime, even though History, CI and Lifetime are owned by A&E Networks, we never had the A&E Channel, probably because A&E is a famous acronym in the UK for the Accident & Emergency department at the Hospital. :D
Yeah, I know it really means Arts and Entertainment. Also AMC brought Chellomedia, which co-operates the CBS channels in the UK and some other channels around Europe such as Crime and Investigation.
We are very new to the brand. It seems that the name will probably become very familiar to who watched bio. in Portugal and Spain.

Francisque

Here Bio was supposed to launch back in 2003 with the launch of Sky Italia along History, but we never saw it! History until recently has been, just like NG Italy, been owned by Fox International Channels, something "odd"
However recently an A&E Italian division has been launched, inaugurated with the launch of C&I Italy (& HD); later, History (& +1, & HD) have switched to the new company
C&I used from day one the new C&I UK graphics

Francisque

Milkshake (probably) has it's days counted, @RegularCapital said that it might be replaced with a Nick Jr. block, but we're not sure about that.
VIVA will probably become 5's sister channel.
I think there'll be a shake up for sure, similar to the one Sky did when it bought the Virgin channels
I don't get C5+24 on Freeview and I hope it'll be replaced by something better; I could see 5* and VIVA merging (BTW Viva is becoming weak in Germany)

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I think there'll be a shake up for sure, similar to the one Sky did when it bought the Virgin channels
I don't get C5+24 on Freeview and I hope it'll be replaced by something better; I could see 5* and VIVA merging (BTW Viva is becoming weak in Germany)
VIVA used to be powerful in the past, it eventually turned into a terrestrial MTV following the announcement that MTV DE was moving to pay TV.
VIVA will now broadcast only in the evenings in Germany.

Francisque

VIVA used to be powerful in the past, it eventually turned into a terrestrial MTV following the announcement that MTV DE was moving to pay TV.
VIVA will now broadcast only in the evenings in Germany.
But since MTV Germany since the pay-TV switch has become the "nobody's channel", they have realised their mistakes; MTV Germany becomes an HD only channel on HD+
The switch has already happened on the 8th of Sept.; BTW it's the opposite.. Viva is shown during daytime (6am to 5pm), the stronger CC during the rest (5pm to 6am), but the online schedules are very confusing

You can see there are many similarities when comparing the German-speaking, Dutch-speaking, "Scandinavian-speaking" and Polish-speaking operations, that's because they are all controlled by "Viacom North" which recently has also been cutting costs and has shared operations all around N Europe (for example, the playout is done in Amsterdam); MTV Live HD used to be broadcast from Poland until the more recent switch to London

RegularCapital

Staff member

It's about time, they brought Channel 5 months ago and Viacom was waiting for the transaction to go through.
Nickelodeon will tie-up with Milkshake which is to be expected anyway. I would expect Channel 5 to move to MTV's/Nick's studios in Camden, they are currently based at Northern and Shell (their old owners).
I expect to see some schedule changes next month and possibly even a rebrand next year (there's nothing wrong with the current branding, it's just a possibility).

RegularCapital

Staff member

Yes, I agree, a +24 service is already crazy enough, having it on Freeview is a step too far.
5* or 5USA could become Spike TV, there was really no reason why Sky should close Bravo, I can see the reasoning of why they closed Virgin 1/Channel One though.
Who knows, even CMT could make a comeback, but I highly doubt it though. :D

Francisque

Fox Italia has just announced that it'll launch two new channels: Fox Animation and Fox Comedy
The second one, I could understand (and it's more comp'etition for Comedy Central, which here sucks bad), but Fox Animation will just be repeats of Simpsons, Family Guy etc. they already had this channel as a replacement of Fox +2 for Christmas, but now it's permanent..
The logos: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxKxqNXIMAADo-D.jpg , https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxKwcf6IUAAP2A8.jpg

It's possible that this will be the end of the +2 Fox, Fox Life and Fox Crime channels
Fox Retro I think it's here to stay

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts