Mufasa pre-release and discussion

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
I mean, it could be cool to add more lore to the Lion King story. I just wasn't a fan of the first live action remake, so I'm leary of this film. If the reviews are good, I may check it out.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Mufasa Leaps Into Action In Prequel Trailer"​

mufasa.jpg

"Whether you loved or hated Disney’s 2019 Lion King, the one thing that everyone can agree on is that its claims of being “live-action” were dubious. Photorealistic CG is still CG. It was technically an animated film, no matter how badly it wanted to pass off as something else.

But since it made infinity money for Disney, a sequel was immediately pursued. The 2D-animated (and in this reporter’s opinion, superior) original had sequels of its own: the direct-to-video Simba’s Pride and Lion King 1 1/2, which were some of the better DTV efforts thrown out there. There were also TV show spinoffs: Timon & Pumbaa and, more recently, Disney Junior’s The Lion Guard.

The 2019 movie was basically a carbon copy of the 1994 one beat for beat. But the sequel is a prequel, telling the story of Mufasa and how he rose to become king of the Pride Lands. There’s nothing here to lean on — none of the sequels or extra material ever pondered how Mufasa got to where he is. Director Barry Jenkins is going this one alone, with no safety net."

Read the full article here.

Last edited:

Pooky

Staff member
I do wonder how well it will do; I don't think the general audience has anywhere near the distain for the 2019 film you see on the internet, but I do think the commercial fortunes of these live action remakes are largely built on the affection audiences feel for the original films rather than any unique charms they posses themselves. This is a little like a band doing a stadium tour where they play their most popular album in full and then they follow it up by touring an album of re-recorded B-Sides, book the same venues and expect it to be equally successful.

Although for me personally it will probably be at least a little more interesting.

Marble

Worms and plastic minnows!
Making it a prequel was probably the best thing they could have done. They can at least infuse some creativity into the project with an original story, rather than rigidly sticking to the beat of its betters.
So, it's pretty much guaranteed to be a better movie, if only on that technicality. It's still going to have that awful "realistic" CG style which alone makes it an instant pass for me.

Light Lucario

Staff member
As much as I love The Lion King, I'm not really sure what the point is having a prequel story about Mufasa. It does provide them a new story to tell instead of going for a remake of The Lion King 2, but Mufasa's role is to give Simba's wisom, to be murdered and then inspire Simba to return to The Pride Lands. I don't know if it's really necessary to learn about how he became King. There's also the issue of how engaging the story can be when we know where it goes, but to be fair, that's an issue with prequels in general.

If this was from the original animated movie, I'd probably be way more into it, despite still feeling ultimately unnecessary, but since I've never seen this live-action remake, I'm not too into this prequel. A part of me almost would have preferred seeing them doing Simba's Pride just to see more attention on Kiara and Kovu, but they would be given the hyper realistic designs that weren't well received among a lot of people, that probably would have come with its own issues. I'm also not sure if I could see Disney starting to remake their direct to DVD sequels, even though The Lion King 2 is one of the better received sequels.

Pooky

Staff member
So I actually watched the teaser. (Something I probably should have done before I commented. Twice. Sorry) There are actually some promising elements, and some beautiful shots. But any positive impression was pretty much ruined when I saw the list of names at the end. So Timon and Pumbaa are being shoehorned into this, somehow. And "and Introducing Blue Ivy Carter", ugh! Some are expressing hope based on Barry Jenkins' record, which is fair, but this whole thing just reeks of negotiation meetings.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I want to thank both Silverstar and Goldstar for their awesome posts and great presence in this forum. Love ya!
Hey, internet: You all owe Natasha Klein (creator of Primos) an apology. It doesn't matter if you want to watch the show or not. There was no logical reason to unleash that level of vitriol over just a few words, especially before the show has even aired. Now all of y'all line up and tell her you're sorry.
I'm thinking about leaving animesuperhero forums in the future. I don't know if I want to continue posting much if nobody else is interested.
Also another thing is I have lot of stuff to do and too busy. I'll still be around.

Featured Posts