"Robot Dreams" News and Discussion

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Surprised this hasn't really been discussed yet.

Robot Dreams is arriving in theaters in the U.S. on May 31st:

Last edited:

DeanBurrito25

I look forward to seeing this, especially so soon after my birthday. The animation looks appealing and it was cool to see it get so much Oscar buzz...even if it's being released in the States two+ months after the Oscars.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The News Team's Golden Geek has a new review on the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Review: “Robot Dreams”: This Bot’s Got Plenty Of Heart"​

Robot-Dreams-3.jpg

"Robots are on the collective mind of the public right now. What they’re doing, how much they should be doing for people, if they have the same creative capabilities as humans, and so on. As such, Robot Dreams might be a turnoff for some just based on the title – however, it separates itself far from the current discourse just in period. Beyond the date, the charming fun of the film, managing to pull off the balancing act between heartwarming and heartbreaking masterfully, makes it a must-see for animation fans of all ages.

Dog lives a simple life in 1980s Manhattan – a couch, television set, and frozen dinners seem to be all he needs. Yet even the rocking allure of a brand-new MTV begins to lose its fizz after a while, as Dog looks in on strangers holding hands or resting their heads on each other’s shoulders in envy. No doubt about it, he craves companionship. An infomercial for the brand new “Amica 2000” catches his attention, and with a quick assembly, he’s got a new robotic best friend brightening life up. As quickly as they come together, they are unfortunately separated by an accident on the beach. Through the messy situations their time apart creates, the two never forget one another, yet evolve as life carries on.

An interesting note about the film’s presentation is that, like the graphic novel it’s based on, there is no spoken dialogue. This puts even more emphasis and a need for quality visuals than your typical animated film – thankfully, Robot Dreams’ endearing 2D design delivers. The film’s animation is relatively simplistic in its character designs but has some very endearing looks at the scenery of 80s New York throughout. There are plenty of details for viewers of the period to catch as well, from Dog’s constant Tab-sipping to the Dark Side of the Moon poster above his bed."

Read the full review here.

Pooky

Staff member
This came out in the UK over the Easter Holidays (side note; do students in the US get 2-3 weeks off over Easter?) and did play in at least one of my local cinemas, I did want to see it but it didn't fit in.

Dr.Pepper

This came out in the UK over the Easter Holidays (side note; do students in the US get 2-3 weeks off over Easter?) and did play in at least one of my local cinemas, I did want to see it but it didn't fit in.
Off topic: in my expirence no. Schools get a week off in late March/early April, but it’s not associated with Easter. In my district we always get the first week of April off regardless of when Easter lands.

On topic: this movie looks totally adorable.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Looking at the Boomerang Imaginary Rebrand pitch really makes me wish that we get this rebrand instead of what we got in 2015.

I was at my local Wal-Mart, and they had merchandise out for the new Garfield movie. There's a plush doll of Baby Garfield that meows, and you have to feed him a piece of lasagna or pizza.
I want to thank both Silverstar and Goldstar for their awesome posts and great presence in this forum. Love ya!
Hey, internet: You all owe Natasha Klein (creator of Primos) an apology. It doesn't matter if you want to watch the show or not. There was no logical reason to unleash that level of vitriol over just a few words, especially before the show has even aired. Now all of y'all line up and tell her you're sorry.

Featured Posts