"Spider-Man Untitled 4th MCU Movie" News & Discussion

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Kind of a minor point, J.K. SImmons teases his future in the MCU. Apparently he signed on to appear in sequels to Far From Home, but the studio isn't obligated to bring him back.

(mod-note-to-self: checked as far back as page 16/January 2020 of Part 6 MCU news thread)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Kind of a minor point, J.K. SImmons teases his future in the MCU. Apparently he signed on to appear in sequels to Far From Home, but the studio isn't obligated to bring him back.
Kind of expected he'd be in future Spider-Man movies, although it would be pretty great to see him pop up and comment on other MCU films :p.
Right, so on an as needed basis. Interesting.

I think it would be funny to have him do some web shorts like those WHiH ones a couples years back. It seemed like they were going to then it stopped after FFH.

Frontier

Staff member
Right, so on an as needed basis. Interesting.

I think it would be funny to have him do some web shorts like those WHiH ones a couples years back. It seemed like they were going to then it stopped after FFH.
I'm always down for more JK Simmons Jonah ;).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer

Frontier

Staff member
Sony and Marvel have reportedly extended their Spider-Man MCU deal. Not official yet but it sounds legit:

I guess that's reassuring in some respects...

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, they probably don't want to delay it too much before Holland ages too much. Strike while the iron is hot :p.
Well, they can continue with Holland as Peter in his 20s, 30s, so on without recasting with an older actor granted Sony and all that works out.

the greenman

They simply need to stop playing Holland as a weird geeky kid (we have Star Lord for that). They need to start maturing him slowly. As they have been with basically copying his Tony Stark ways. However, let's not make the same mistake as the older S-M films.

Personally, with the lack of the Bugle team they are not concentrating too much on Peter's personality with others. They've given him a bff in Ned and have created a group of teen foils including Flash who I simply don't believe will go too far in this franchise. Of course "MJ" as the love interest for some reason.

Right now, I'm betting Feige wants to get him out of school and have him be in charge of his own labs. I hope not. There are far too many stories and characters to concentrate on in the interim. Goblin and Doc Ock in particular are very important to Peter's future.
WEB Open House Goes Haywire

Embark on an action-packed adventure alongside the amazing Spider-Man! When Peter Parker’s helpful but otherwise buggy Spider-Bots get stuck in replication mode and escape from a WEB Workshop, Spider-Man must stop the rampaging robots before they wreak total techno-havoc across Avengers Campus. Problem is, they’re rapidly leveling up and becoming tough to beat!
Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Another Spider-Man trilogy reportedly in the works.

They simply need to stop playing Holland as a weird geeky kid (we have Star Lord for that). They need to start maturing him slowly. As they have been with basically copying his Tony Stark ways. However, let's not make the same mistake as the older S-M films.

Personally, with the lack of the Bugle team they are not concentrating too much on Peter's personality with others. They've given him a bff in Ned and have created a group of teen foils including Flash who I simply don't believe will go too far in this franchise. Of course "MJ" as the love interest for some reason.

Right now, I'm betting Feige wants to get him out of school and have him be in charge of his own labs. I hope not. There are far too many stories and characters to concentrate on in the interim. Goblin and Doc Ock in particular are very important to Peter's future.

1/19: Yeah, well, I figured the 2nd trilogy would be the college years but after FFH and what's transpiring in the 3rd one in terms of rumors and news, idk what could be next at this point.

2/24: Holland says a deal is already worked out so there won't be another dust up between Marvel Studios and Sony in the future and says No Way Home is his last movie for his current contract.

Holland announces his contract is up for Spider-man as of "No Way Home":
2/25: Strange part of this quote is back when the 'new deal' was 9/10: struck in September 2019, it was for one more Spider-Man movie and a non-solo Spider-Man MCU movie. Guess the trades were wrong or Holland is mis-remembering.

11/15: Yeah, it was back in February - Sony and Marvel already worked things out in private so another public debacle doesn't happen again. It's just that Holland's current contract has not been renewed yet (or has not been revealed to be renewed). And in addition, his current contract still has him on the hook to appear in a non-Spider-Man movie (we still don't know what, i.e. Multiverse of Madness or Avengers or something else).

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
As a follow up, an interesting pattern seems to be emerging after I did a little searching for old links.

-November 9, 2016: Holland says he signed on to a 6 movie contract, 3 solo Spider-Man movies and 3 non-solo-MCU movies.

-July 2019: Feige says the 3rd Spider-Man will feature a story never done on film before.

-August 2019: Development on a 4th Spider-Man also begins.

-August 21, 2019: Schism between Marvel and Sony breaks out. (So Holland's contract is unfulfilled, he had 1 more solo movie to do which later becomes NWH).

-September 27, 2019: It was announced Marvel was to produce a third solo Spider-Man movie for Sony, and for the character to appear in at least one additional Disney-Marvel film.

-June 30, 2020: Questionable WGTC claims Marvel Studios' overall plan is to do 3 Spider-Man trilogies total. 1 in high school, 1 in college, 1 in adult life.

-July 13, 2020: Marvel Studios reportedly trying to sign Holland to 6 more movies - 3 more solo Spider-Man movies and 3 more non-solo-MCU movies.

-February 24, 2021: Holland says a third deal has already been worked out so another fiasco doesn't happen.

-September 26, 2021: Reportedly Holland wants $20 million to renew contract.

-October 18, 2021: Holland calls No Way Home a conclusion, the end of the Homecoming trilogy, and if he made more, should give it time and make it tonally different.

-November 15, 2021: A new Spider-Man trilogy reportedly in development with the new Disney+ animated series to air between movies and fill in gaps.

-November 17, 2021: Holland now appearing less resolved to reprise the role, suggesting it could be time to move on and Marvel should do Miles Morales next OR he might keep doing Spider-Man 4, 5, 6 into his early 30s.

So, after filming for NWH ended in March 2021 - seems like Marvel made its move to negotiate a new contract with Holland, he asked for more money, the studio(s) balked at the amount, Holland has either soured on his stance on reprising and is deciding to exit the franchise OR is making such statements this month publicly as a coy negotiating tactic.

And there's still the question is the "one additional Disney-Marvel film" still in play.

the greenman

Well, even though the site WGTC is highly questionable, I actually hope that rumor is true. Personally, I do question the whole idea of what they do with Spidey.

This MCU Spider-man is mostly rushed (as usual), the question is to where? I'm not really feeling the Spider-man and his not-so-amazing friends aspect of MCU Spider-man. I long for the older style of Spider-man films. Solo teen angst, Bugle characters, and a villain. I guess they overstayed their welcome.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
It's been theorized that Tom Holland was totally game for doing more Spider-Man and made a big point about "oh I don't want to keep doing these movies for THAT much longer" as a way to get Sony and Marvel for a higher paycheck for these films. Which if they announced officially a full trailer seems pretty obvious that's what happened. Also seems more obvious Sony and Marvel have managed to make an agreement for the long haul for this take on Spider Man in the MCU which if he's supposed to be the main face of it would make sense due to not only Spider man's popularity but well Holland's as well. It's hard to know where exactly these films would got at all but I think Sony was fine admitting there are more plans since they knew at the very least they weren't going to kill off this take of Spidey in No Way Home so might as well say "there's more to do with the character". I admit I wasn't the biggest fan of Far From Home but No Way Home still has me hyped and I'm fine with Holland so yeah on board for whatever plans they have for him going forward.

Frontier

Staff member
I just have to put this here:

kevin-feige.gif

the greenman

Yeah, Holland was apparently the one who tried to help negotiations. I would love both Mary Jane and Stacy in a film someday.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

MAW Superman and Unicorn WE seem to have done well, and Invincible Fight Girl and Iyanu: Child of Wonder sound interesting. It's good to see CN embracing action again, but I hope they haven't forgotten comedy.
I've watched a few more episodes of Yuru Camp since I first posted about it. It's definitely great and it might end up becoming one of my favorite anime series ever.
Today I found out there is a new PBS Retro FAST channel available on The Roku Channel. I also learned that I can access it when I thought I wouldn't be able to. PBS Retro has a lot of great shows I never thought I'd see again. Awesome!
It looks like Bob Backish may be out as CEO of Paramount. Can David Zaslav be next? Please?

Featured Posts