The Official DC Animation DVD News Talkback, Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
It's time for the 13th Installment of the DVD news threads, folks! Please keep all DVD talk in here!

Current news - Updated July 12th, 2006:
-WHV Announces New 'Justice League Unlimited' and 'Batman Beyond' Season Sets on DVD

To check out the newest information, look for the newest post in this thread for any updates. For the latest information on what's coming to DVD from the Animated DC Universe, check out the links below:

-The World's Finest
-Toon Zone News
-The World's Finest - Releases Section

Archive:
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 12
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 11
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 10
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 9
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 8
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 7
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 6
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 5
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 4
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 3
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 2
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 1

Note: Thread title changes from The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback to The Official DC Animation DVD News Talkback beginning with this installment, due to expanding DVD coverage.

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
Wow! 13th installment, eh?

I'm personally hoping to hear that at least two more commentaries have been done for the JLU set...I'm rather worried that 2 is all we're getting, for 26 of the most DCAU-shattering episodes.

Duke

Truer Words Were Never Spoken
I wonder how much the coverart's gonna change between now and the final release...

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
savetheprincess said:
If they are going to put seasons 1 and 2 together why don't they just throw in season 3?

Because then there wouldn't be anything to release alongside Batman Beyond, Season 3. That and it'd jack up the cost of the set by another $20 and theres no way the common shopper would pay $60 for a set. Hell I won't even pay that much...

-BB

Duke

Truer Words Were Never Spoken
Bird Boy said:
Because then there wouldn't be anything to release alongside Batman Beyond, Season 3. That and it'd jack up the cost of the set by another $20 and theres no way the common shopper would pay $60 for a set. Hell I won't even pay that much...
But I thought WB loved over-pricing their boxsets?

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
Duke said:
But I thought WB loved over-pricing their boxsets?

They do? They charge what any other company charges.

Aside from Sopranos, WHV doesn't really put out any extravagantly priced sets for little product. Everythings pretty sanely priced...

-BB

Shadowmask

Stultos libenter non patior
Pretty awesome they're releasing seasons 1 and 2 of JLU at once. Season 1 was good, but I've been eager to get the Cadmus arc on DVD. Also, it makes sense to release them together, since the Cadmus arc arguably really started with JLU season 1, in "Fearful Symmetry."

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I take it the specs aren't final as of yet?

Plus, has there been any word on the extended cut of Kevin Conroy's Am I Blue? from This Little Piggy? I'm sure I remember reading that they were going to have more of Conroy singing on the disc...

Kudo's though, the cover art is great!

Anarky

Team Conan
savetheprincess said:
The Gilmore gils discs I bought for my wife was about 45 for 6 discs

it depends on the show and its following
programs like Sopranos, Sex in the City, etc... can get away w/ high-priced dvds because it has an adult audience and said audience feels justified for paying a premium to own the series. It's sort of like a status symbol. If you tell your "peasant" friends you have the Sopranos, the guys will wanna come over, play Poker, and watch the show on your 52" plasma widescreen.

you can say the same for The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone DVD sets are pricey but it's target audience is the affluent baby-boomer generation who faithfully tuned in for the premieres when television was a new medium. The Definitve volumes retail for $90+, which is chump change for Boomers.

The same could be said of The X-Files. The series was very popular w/ sci-fi buffs and frankly "nerds". I'm willing to wager a lot of the show's fans have gone through college and are earning salaries over $45K. Hence they can bite the bullet and purchase the $100 Season sets from a few yrs back. Since then, FOX has released economy season sets for those fans w/ more modest incomes.

The DCAU collections fall into the middle tier. True, the shows have an adequate fanbase...most of which have not reached the earnings peak in their careers, hence WHV has to moderately price these at about $30 each. The new programs (TT, TB) are targeted at younger audiences, therefore a parent is more apt to purchase a $20 Season Set over a set nearly double the price.

I'm curious to see how well the Avatar Book One sets sell. MSRP is $80-$90, a steep price to pay in one lump sum. Parents will likely stick to the single-disc volumes which sell for $12 at discount retailers. Chances are only hardcore fans and grandparents looking for a holiday gift will purchase Book One.

jimmymiro12

Yeh it seems the more adult shows and the ones featured on hbo have a higher price. some times this can be avoided. When I went to fye before easter i got king of queens sets buy one get one free. So basically i paid $20 a set which was better than ebay.

jim

Shadowmask

Stultos libenter non patior
Anarky said:
The same could be said of The X-Files. The series was very popular w/ sci-fi buffs and frankly "nerds". I'm willing to wager a lot of the show's fans have gone through college and are earning salaries over $45K. Hence they can bite the bullet and purchase the $100 Season sets from a few yrs back. Since then, FOX has released economy season sets for those fans w/ more modest incomes.
The other thing about The X-Files is that it was the first TV show to be released on DVD, so there weren't really lower prices to compare it to.

John Cage

Mystery Man, 666+ Posts Strong
DisneyBoy said:
Wow! 13th installment, eh?

I'm personally hoping to hear that at least two more commentaries have been done for the JLU set...I'm rather worried that 2 is all we're getting, for 26 of the most DCAU-shattering episodes.

I hope there's enough lead time to do this. I know Dwayne McDuffie's said that they assumed they were only releasing the first thirteen as a set, so I'd imagine the team would want to go back and talk about the 'second season' if they had the chance. And I've got to say, I'd be extremely surprised and disappointed if there wasn't a commentary for "Epilogue", and at least some discussion of the Cadmus arc.

Have a good day.
John Cage

LazyReaper

I'm weird. You wanna doubt it?
Atleast the cover art seems to be getting better by every release. I didn't care for the first season's cover for Batman Beyond, but this one is an improvement. They should use one of the better action poses for the final set.

And Superman seems to stick out the most on the Justice League cover (in a bad way). It seems like they just popped him in there for the sake of it. :shrug:. Every other character on the cover flows out well with the rest of the layout though.

Noukon

Deep Blue
Shadowmask said:
The other thing about The X-Files is that it was the first TV show to be released on DVD, so there weren't really lower prices to compare it to.

The fact that they're now repackaging the sets and repricing them down to less than half their previous MSRP is testament to that.

shadowstrain

a new day
Justice League Unlimited Season !

I don't know if this is old news, but amazon has the box-art and a new release date (October now, not December) for JLU Season 1.

BlueRocketBoy

Awesome! (I know this is total nit picking, but would it have been too much for them to use a Superman illustration without the JL season 1 old-and-fatigued cheekbones?! Ah, well ...)

Last edited by a moderator:

A.J

BlueRocketBoy said:
Awesome! (I know this is total nit picking, but would it have been too much for them to use a Superman illustration without the JL season 1 old-and-fatigued cheekbones?! Ah, well ...)

Yup, some of us noticed it as well, just like Hawkgirl (no Shayera!) being in that cover ;)

nate3po

In case anyone hasn't noticed, the price of BB 2 and JLU 1 has been reduced in priced to 30% of the retail price from 10%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why is it automatically assumed that if a person were to suddenly gain super powers they'll put on tights and either immediately decide to save the world or conquer/destroy it?
the sports junkie in me really loves playing Sports Reference's Immaculate Grid games. nice way to start off each morning.
Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?

Featured Posts