"The Wonderful World Of Mickey Mouse" Talkback (Spoilers)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Wonderful World Of Mickey Mouse "Bellboys"

Failing grade.

The cartoon posits a classic Mickey, Donald, and Goofy scenario. And I got really worried when the circus showed up. The stars of these kinds of cartoons are actually supposed to be Mickey, Donald and Goofy. And the circus people were bright and flashy, and driving an unacceptable amount of focus away from them.

In the middle of the cartoon the hijinks resettled with the main characters again. But it was STILL wrong because the characters were mostly on their own instead of brushing up against each other. I seem to recall the characters' had their share of solo scenes in those old cartoons too, but this felt like too much.

All this being said, Bill Farmer's Goofy continues to be the best thing in Paul Rudish's iteration of Mickey Mouse. Tony Anselmo's Donald was the best thing about DuckTales 2017. The Mickey Mouse reboot is Goofy's time to shine. Farmer is a revelation and better in the role than he has ever been.

But on the whole, I still think that was a misfire. **.

The Wonderful World Of Mickey Mouse "I Heart Mickey"

It's a great premise. But it doesn't start off well. Mickey seems less like a romantic hero and more like an off-putting creep.

But once the hearts escape things turn fun. My favorite bit was Kaitlyn Robrock's amazing fast-paced, Micro-Machines Guy-level confession to Mickey in the sewer. Somehow I don't think Russi Taylor could have done that. If she could have, she would have done it in one of her other roles by now. Let me just say that it turned out Robrock was a wise replacement and leave it at that.

That was cute. ***1/2.

The Wonderful World Of Mickey Mouse "Untold Treasure"

Oh my God! This one actually had a plot!

And about time Peg-Leg Pete was used as a pirate. Although his leg was a hook here.

I loved Mickey and Minnie's unfriendly rivalry because it is so far outside of every other Mickey and Minnie relationship we've ever seen. The parting of the ways at the end was similarly refreshing and unusual, and if you ask me perfectly sets up a sequel to the episode.

I really liked it. ****1/2.

The Wonderful World Of Mickey Mouse "Disappearing Act"

So sweet that gave me cavities.

Magic is an admittedly alluring profession, but I've always found card tricks the least interesting thing about it. Can't understand why that's the thing that's driven Mickey wild.

I love that Mickey is properly mad that the dude sold him a buck fifty wand for twenty dollars. Mickey is pissed for the correct reasons.

All the cameos from the Disney Feature magical characters were wonderful, especially because they seemed to be more drawn in the classical art style rather than the Rudish art style. That all brings me back.

Cute. ****.

The Wonderful World Of Mickey Mouse "Once Upon An Apple"

Delightful. I don't agree that Mickey gave the witch a happy ending. But she believed it, which is enough.

For the record, it's easier to believe the Witch wants to be the fairest of them all when she's in the Evil Queen guise, rather than the Witch guise. Even if she knocked off Snow White and Mickey, she'd never be the fairest in the land when she's the crone.

I liked the Magic Mirror singing the Mickey Mouse Club Theme Song.

Besides Snow White I also spotted cameos for Horace Horsecollar, Mr. Toad, Cinderella, and the Cheshire Cat. Did I miss anyone?

That was great. *****.

The Wonderful World Of Mickey Mouse "Game Night"

The footage of Donald and Walt Disney was amazing, as was him as Steamboat Willie and the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

The slow-motion climax was also very cinematic and exciting even if I couldn't quite pinpoint what movie they were making an homage to.

Funny episode. ****.

The Wonderful Winter Of Mickey Mouse

I thought the Narrator wraparound was quite dull.

First Cartoon:

Cute premise and role for Craig Robinson.

Sort of in the spirit of The Sorcerer's Apprentice for Mickey. ***1/2.

Second Cartoon:

Bill Farmer continues to be a revelation as Goofy. I maintain the Paul Rudish shorts are Farmer's career highpoint.

I laughed at the snow spilling out of the teapot.

Cute: ***1/2.

Third Cartoon:

The musical number at the end was beyond cheesy.

There's no crying in ice dancing!

Like the cameos for Chip and Dale, Friend Owl, and Thumper.

I laughed at Mickey silently mouthing "I love you." It was animated perfectly.

Pretty good, but the end was a little too saccharine. ***.

Special Overall: ***1/2.

The Wonderful Spring Of Mickey Mouse

Keith David made a much better Narrator that the lady who did the winter special.

First Cartoon.

Was that cameo the first animated appearance of Bucky Bug? A pity the cartoon was silent. I would have liked to have heard him rhyme.

I love that the sun was Dopey from Snow White. He's animated like a Spumco character.

Any gripes? Yeah, and this is a problem for MANY of the silent cartoons on the show. With no dialogue, what the plot or struggle of the characters are isn't actually evident. I had no idea what was actually happening. Good silent cartoons make you understand the plot even without words. Paul Rudish's Mickey Mouse is just a loud, fast mess that you hopefully won't think too hard on. ***.

Second Cartoon:

Liked the cameos for Alice from Wonderland, Chip and Dale (who are somehow squirrels at the beginning of the cartoon) and Humphrey the Bear. ***.

Third Cartoon:

Tons of Easter Eggs in the one. I'll mention as many as I noticed.

Tigger cameo.

Mary Poppins reference.

Possible Pinocchio reference, although the guy driving Jiminy's truck wasn't Jiminy Cricket.

A reference to something called "Splashdance" which is I believe an 80's Mickey fad that I (thankfully) missed.

Brief appearance of the Sorcerer's Hat.

T-shirt from Potatoland.

Cameo from Mrs. Potts from Beauty and the Beast.

Some clear Star Wars and Muppets IPs can be seen in the garbage monster at the end.

It wasn't a good cartoon, but it was a nerdy one, which makes it PASS for good. ***1/2.

Special Overall: ***.

The Wonderful Summer Of Mickey Mouse

I like that this felt more like an actual special instead of an anthology. I especially like how the stories complimented and crossed over with each other as the events were happening concurrently. It took very careful comic timing to keep all of that straight, especially six times.

Old school Scrooge McDuck voice. I love David Tennant as an actor. Ultimately, I think he's all wrong for Scrooge. John Kassir is not as pitch-perfect as Alan Young was. But I appreciate that that's what he was actually going for here.

Mickey and Daisy simply CANNOT make small-talk. There is a reason those two characters never share scenes with just each other.

I like that Goofy's cartoon shifted in and out of a "How To" outing.

Better than the Winter and Spring specials. ****1/2.

The Wonderful Autumn Of Mickey Mouse

"Let give 'im pumpkin to talk about!" is like the worst action movie line ever.

I like that it's not an anthology, and they simply decided to do a half-hour cartoon. Really, the anthology format of the first two specials actually took away the selling point of making them a half hour to begin with. They might as well have been individual Wonderful World episodes.

Cool seeing Humphrey the Bear.

I liked it. ***1/2.
'

The Wonderful World Of Mickey Mouse "Steamboat Silly"

Out of all of the Paul Rudish Mickey Mouse cartoons, that was the best. Bar none. I'm also wondering if it's the last. It was so perfect and definitive that it felt to me that a series finale vibe was attached. I could be wrong. But I'm thinking it might be the last cartoon in this continuity, because there would never need to be another one.

Or is it? This suggests all Mickey Mouse cartoons actually take place in the SAME continuity! I love the idea that Mickey claims the round eyes latter years Mickey has are "contact lenses".

And we don't just get the Steamboat Willie whistle tune. We get The Mickey Mouse Club Theme Song too! Definite series finale vibes with THAT for sure.

I loved the orchestrals, and if the animation wasn't able to completely mimic the classic black and white cell animation in every respect, at least the old-timey music felt authentic.

That was a perfect Mickey Mouse cartoon, and a wonderful way to celebrate his entire legacy. *****.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?
Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.

Featured Posts