Unpopular Opinions

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
This is probably only unpopular in certain parts of the world, but soccer >>>>>>>> gridiron football.

Your post would be controversial outside the US because you used the word "soccer" instead of "football" or "association football." My pet peeve is when non-US folks assume that Americans made up the word "soccer."

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
In my honest opinon, Executive Meddling as a whole gets too much hate. Sure, what it does to shows can be a huge weakness than a strength. But at times, they can help a show not go over the limit.
Correct. For example, Sherlock was originally going to be a series of six hour-long episodes but BBC One suggested to the showrunners that it should be retooled into a series of three 90-minute episodes, which they agreed as they felt that it worked better.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I'm currently watching Tracy Beaker, a BBC series about a girl with behavioral problems in an orphanage nicknamed The Dumping Ground. The series is so good and "genuine" (as far as fiction can be), it makes Hollywood tweencoms look even worse than they already are.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
This is probably only unpopular in certain parts of the world, but soccer >>>>>>>> gridiron football.
Soccer (or to some, real football) is pretty fun, there's a flow to it and less stoppages and stuff.
I'm currently watching Tracy Beaker, a BBC series about a girl with behavioral problems in an orphanage nicknamed The Dumping Ground. The series is so good and "genuine" (as far as fiction can be), it makes Hollywood tweencoms look even worse than they already are.
I've seen that show and some parts of the spinoffs its had. I think it's pretty good. I do have to say, that it's going for that kind of feeling, and the tweencoms are going for more escapist stuff and not actual genuine realness. At least most of them.

Mandouga

It was on the line. IT WAS ON THE LINE!!!

John McEnroe is an embarrassment to the sport of tennis. There, I said it.

It seems to me—and maybe I’m mistaken—that there wasn't a tournament he was in that didn't have this happen at some point:

Court violation: verbal abuse. Point (penalty) (Mr.) McEnroe

…among other violations, including at least one for racket abuse, and others for “unsportsmanlike conduct”.

Clearly fines and suspensions weren't enough for this guy, since he would go right back to doing it again. He honestly should have eventually been banned from the game for life for all the stupidity he pulled. The guy even had the nerve to lampshade/parody himself at a doubles match he was in a few years back. He was in no position to make of himself doing the stuff that, again, eventually should have gotten him banned from playing (professional) tennis for life.

Maybe, just maybe, if UTS (the “Ultimate Tennis Showdown”) had been a thing at the time, it might not have been a problem, or maybe it would have. As it stands, he’s now a tennis legend at least partially (put it that way) for the wrong reasons.

Also, before anyone brings it up, spare me all the “most entertaining part of his matches” explanations. He should not…I repeat, should NOT have been doing that stuff in the first place.

BTW, I’m told that Ilie Nǎstase from Romania (whom some people called “Nasty Nǎstase”) was just as bad…

EDIT: Made a slight change to the wording of a previous sentence. I meant to say that it seemed to me that there wasn't a tournament he was in where it “didn't” happen. I apologize for the confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I recently rewatched the "Please Don't Kill Me" episode of Mr. Show, and they parodied the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon really well, with the Dr. X Telethon. I think they agreed with me, how that would be the only thing on TV on Labor Day back in the age of when people only had 3-4 channels on TV, and how it was like a supervillain holding the world for ransom.

It was the little details, like Tom Kenney playing a Charlie Callas-like comedian, people coming in with money, and the chef's kiss, how Jerry Lewis would close each telethon by singing "You'll Never Walk Alone".

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't miss the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon at all. You younger people don't know what it was like and be thankful you don't have to.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
John McEnroe is an embarrassment to the sport of tennis. There, I said it.
He's been decent as an ambassador to the sport in retirement. Maybe if I watched him live I would've found him more embarrassing, but since his playing career is a little before my time, I know him mostly from commercials and as a live commentator. I think the only thing he really should've laid off was some of his comments on the Williams sisters's careers. We already know they wouldn't fare well on the men's tour, but speculating what's the lowest ranked man who could beat them just seemed to bring needless negative attention to all involved.

I will always appreciate his comments about pickleball, though.

Am I the only person who couldn’t care less about the roast of Tom Brady?
No, you're not alone. I'm an NFL fan and I couldn't be bothered to read about it or watch it.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Unideal back-to-back post here, but the topic came up and reminded me I have a pretty unpopular opinion. The book Moneyball aged like milk. Michael Lewis admitted to being intrigued in the story of how the Oakland A's and their $40 million payroll were able to hang tough with the Yankees and their $130 million, and he ended up trying to explain it through reverse engineering. Unfortunately, he liked the story so much while not really understanding baseball economics that his book gives too much credit to roster changes in the periphery while ignoring the team's actual six best players (in no order: Zito, Hudson, Mulder, Tejada, Chavez, Lidle). Also, the analysis of the 2002 draft prospects seems kind of silly in retrospect. Lewis's admiration for Beane really drowns out the sobering reality that drafting is such a crap shoot, while the praise for failed prospect Jeremy Brown and the dismissal of future All-Star Prince Fielder's weight sound really silly years later. Also, while I wouldn't have voted Tejada for MVP in 2002, the book is written in a way to suggest that Tejada became a superstar in spite of his flaws instead of because of his skills.

As for the movie, it's really more of a Brad Pitt Oscar vehicle than anything. It's based on a true story, and a lot of the names and events obviously took place, but it takes so many liberties that it's almost an admission that maybe what really happened in 2001-2002 wasn't really all that magical or noteworthy other than the 20-game win streak. The movie has you believe that Brad Pitt (almost not even worth calling the character "Billy Beane"; like I said, it's basically a movie written to get him Oscar consideration) put together a miracle to make the 2002 great even though many of their foundational players were acquired before Beane's tenure as GM. I am especially disappointed how many real life people got put down in attempt to win Brad's first Oscar.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts