Walt Disney Pictures president Sean Bailey exits; Disney Live-Action and 20th Century Studios consolidated

DogBoneController

From Deadline Hollywood:

Effective immediately, Walt Disney‘s President of Motion Picture Studios Sean Bailey, who turned the company’s animation vault into a multibillion-dollar live-action movie business, is departing after 15 years on the lot. Searchlight co-president David Greenbaum is stepping in to replace him.

Greenbaum’s new title will be President, Disney Live Action and 20th Century Studios. He’ll report to Disney Entertainment co-chairman Alan Bergman. Steve Asbell will continue to serve as President, 20th Century Studios, a role he’s had since March 2020. He will report to Greenbaum.

For those not in the know, Sean was the chief architect for all those live-action Disney remakes we've been seeing. For him to leave suggests Disney is realizing those remakes aren't gonna keep printing money.

What's more interesting imo is that the Disney live-action unit and 20th Century Studios are now under one roof. More cost-cutting? Or something else?

PinkieLopBun

That's so interesting!
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Since this concerns the live action side of the company, I moved it to the entertainment board.

DeanBurrito25

I'm not opposed to live action movies from Disney (the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie is an especially good example), it's the adaptations of their animated classics that are trite. If this change means we'll see less of those going forward, I'm okay with it.

Tempering my expectations when I say "less" because I doubt Disney are pumping the brakes on them entirely. Even a reduced amount would be a step forward.

Pooky

Staff member
Tempering my expectations when I say "less" because I doubt Disney are pumping the brakes on them entirely. Even a reduced amount would be a step forward.

I think it will depend on how well Snow White does; Little Mermaid wasn't a flop, but it wasn't exactly a hit either relative to its budget, and it made about half of what Aladdin, Lion King and Beauty & the Beast made.

Though even if it's a smash they're also running out of titles with that kind of recognition to plunder, I don't see The Sword in the Stone with Liam Neeson or whoever as Merlin being a blockbuster.

Moe

From Deadline Hollywood:

For those not in the know, Sean was the chief architect for all those live-action Disney remakes we've been seeing. For him to leave suggests Disney is realizing those remakes aren't gonna keep printing money.

What's more interesting imo is that the Disney live-action unit and 20th Century Studios are now under one roof. More cost-cutting? Or something else?
I think that is more of cost-cutting and it is common to see corporations to shakeup and/or restructuring years after merger and acquisition finalized.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
From Deadline Hollywood:

I don’t think Disney and 20th Century Studios are merging/consolidating, because Steve Asbell, the president of the latter, will continue in his current position.

NOTE: Reposted following thread split.

harry580

maybe the end of live action remakes era is near, I rather have more original films like moe said in entertainment wish list, and also, more films like harry potter & charlie and the chocolate factory would do great in the new era of walt disney pictures now they gotten 20th century studios people involved
(at least disney would not make live action versions of ice age & rio now)

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
maybe the end of live action remakes era is near, I rather have more original films like moe said in entertainment wish list, and also, more films like harry potter & charlie and the chocolate factory would do great in the new era of walt disney pictures now they gotten 20th century studios people involved
Disney doesn't own the film rights to Harry Potter or Willy Wonka. That's Warner Brothers Discovery.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
That's a reach.

We've been over this before, but Disney isn't going to stop making live-action remakes as long as people keep paying money to see them. Anyway, you always have the option of simply not these movies if they're not to your liking.

Also, I don't pretend to know "the biz", but I'm pretty sure that making live-action versions of Ice Age and Rio aren't on anybody at Disney's Bingo card.

Last edited:

harry580

Disney doesn't own the film rights to Harry Potter or Willy Wonka. That's Warner Brothers Discovery.
no, I'm just talking about a film like harry potter & willy wonka

@Silverstar, this referred to a joke on reddit & other communities that disney is gonna make ice age & rio into live action so that why im having fears over it

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
That's a reach.

We've been over this before, but Disney isn't going to stop making live-action remakes as long as people keep paying money to see them. Anyway, you always have the option of simply not these movies if they're not to your liking.

Also, I don't pretend to know "the biz", but I'm pretty sure that making live-action versions of Ice Age and Rio aren't on anybody at Disney's Bingo card.
I beg to differ.

See, I doubt he’s gonna approve more live-action remakes.

Last edited:

GRPHX

I support Peltz, I think Disney should make room for more, but especially TV-MA IPs.
Constant Marvel and Star-Wars productions or Live Action remakes are boring. That was Chapek's mistake too. I hope Peltz doesn't repeat Chapek's mistake.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
@Silverstar, this referred to a joke on reddit & other communities that disney is gonna make ice age & rio into live action so that why im having fears over it

If you know it's just a joke, then why waste your time worrying about something that you know isn't real? Seems pointless to me. Spend your time thinking about positive things instead.

-Anyways, getting back on-topic: Okay guys, point taken, but I never watched any of these live-action remakes and have no intention to start, so Disney making less of them doesn't mean anything to me. I'm not going to celebrate this news because it's not something I was ever actively engaged in.

But Disney making more TV-MA stuff that ain't Star Wars or Marvel? Nah, I don't see that happening. This is Disney we're talking about here. They may dip their finger in the MA pool once in a blue moon, but they can't alienate the families that go to the parks; that's where the bulk of Disney's money comes from. That's what they have Star and Hulu for.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?
Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.
I watched the first episode of Yuru Camp this morning on a whim, though I did have slight influence from a Twitter friend who really likes it. Can't believe I waited until now to give it a shot, because I really enjoyed it.
I've said this before, but the Ignore button is a life saver.

Featured Posts