Was the current 2009 Nickelodeon logo really that bad?

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Current Nickelodeon logo isn't bad, but more... kind of ok? The previous logo is much better

And speaking of logos, does anyone else miss specific Nickelodeon logos they made for Nicktoons during 1990s and 2000s? They was a certain charm attach to it. Here are few examples:
View attachment 285619
View attachment 285620
View attachment 285621
View attachment 285622
View attachment 285623
Yep! The old logo's multitude of different forms could not be replicated.
You and me both.

SG-17

I think the current logo is indicative of the corporatization of Nickelodeon and the loss of individuality and creativity it had during its creator-driven era.

when The 90s Are All That was rebranded as The Splat/NickSplat and they starting using the old logo again it gave me hope that there was a sea change coming, but alas it was not to be so.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I think the current logo is indicative of the corporatization of Nickelodeon and the loss of individuality and creativity it had during its creator-driven era.

when The 90s Are All That was rebranded as The Splat/NickSplat and they starting using the old logo again it gave me hope that there was a sea change coming, but alas it was not to be so.
Yeah, pretty much.

ToonsJazzLover

It’s a massive downgrade but it’ll grow on you...it’s too bad the logo change is associated with the mess that is the Cyma Zarghami era (who is the reason why this happened)

harry580

at least Cartoon Network logo changes in 2004 and 2010 has kept the checkerboard feeling while this rebrand for nick has remove the splat

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
It’s a massive downgrade but it’ll grow on you...i
Well, like I mention before, I still don't like the logo but I do appreciate the 2009 initial rebrand overtime and it did grew on me NGL. But then later on with other rebrands it's just became...ugh...

it’s too bad the logo change is associated with the mess that is the Cyma Zarghami era (who is the reason why this happened)

Yeah, it's no wonder why people hate her business practices (or her as a person in general) and honestly I don't blame them.

at least Cartoon Network logo changes in 2004 and 2010 has kept the checkerboard feeling while this rebrand for nick has remove the splat
Yeah, pretty much. As bad as Cartoon Network's business practices was, at least they kept their trademark checkerboard and hadn't forgotten their roots unlike Nickelodeon.

Last edited:

Maddiexx

Current Nickelodeon logo isn't bad, but more... kind of ok? The previous logo is much better

And speaking of logos, does anyone else miss specific Nickelodeon logos they made for Nicktoons during 1990s and 2000s? They was a certain charm attach to it. Here are few examples:
View attachment 285619
View attachment 285620
View attachment 285621
View attachment 285622
View attachment 285623
I remember these! They were so expressive and unique and it makes me wonder why they stopped doing things like this :(

Maddiexx

I think the current logo is definitely a downgrade. I don't hate it but the splat logo was unique and iconic, so much so that even if you just saw an orange splat, the first thing that would pop into your head would be Nickelodeon. I saw a picture a while ago of what the splat logo looked like on a business card and it looked decent. But even if it didn't, I don't think that's a valid reason to just completely redo all of the branding :/

harry580

I think the current logo is definitely a downgrade. I don't hate it but the splat logo was unique and iconic, so much so that even if you just saw an orange splat, the first thing that would pop into your head would be Nickelodeon. I saw a picture a while ago of what the splat logo looked like on a business card and it looked decent. But even if it didn't, I don't think that's a valid reason to just completely redo all of the branding :/
I agree with you that the new logo is a downgrade and welcome to the forums

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I remember these! They were so expressive and unique and it makes me wonder why they stopped doing things like this :(
Yup, I agree. That’s why I think rebranding into something like this compared to what came before is the antithesis of what made Nickelodeon’s splat logo so good.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
When the logo came out, I wasn't bothered , I though it was fine. I was more annoyed that Nick at Nite's logo at the time was chnaged , I really liked the 2007-09 Nick at Nite Logo. Also the N rebrand bugged me too, but the current logo was fine, the graphics they had with it, I didn't like, I do like the current graphics and they work pretty well, the updates to the Teenick logo and Nicktoons logo have been nice. I didn't like the Nicktoons network logo change at the time either. The splat was classic and iconic, but I don't hate the current logo. Funny enough, it's been around long enough, that kids grew up with this logo and probably like it.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
When the logo came out, I wasn't bothered , I though it was fine. I was more annoyed that Nick at Nite's logo at the time was chnaged , I really liked the 2007-09 Nick at Nite Logo. Also the N rebrand bugged me too, but the current logo was fine, the graphics they had with it, I didn't like, I do like the current graphics and they work pretty well, the updates to the Teenick logo and Nicktoons logo have been nice. I didn't like the Nicktoons network logo change at the time either. The splat was classic and iconic, but I don't hate the current logo. Funny enough, it's been around long enough, that kids grew up with this logo and probably like it.
Ok that's fair.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
While I don't like the current logo, I was pretty young (still in grade school) when the network rebranded, so I am kinda used to it.
I understand. I was 10 when it rebranded and I was trying to get used to it at first, but the appeal wears out very quickly.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
It's been several months since I made this thread, so I thought why not bring it back?

Around several months ago, I only made several Nickelodeon logo in Sketchbook. It has a mix between the pinball branding and the splat branding. I would showcase it here several months ago, but I didn't because I thought it didn't look that good. I only did it just for fun, not something I wanted to see Nick would this to replace their current 2009 logo.

Now, looking back on it, I'm more than okay to showcase the fanmade logos because they look like they can fit in the current landscape of Nickelodeon more so than the 2009 logo was.

So what do you guys think?

Nick1.jpg
Nick2.jpg
Nick3.jpg
Nick4.jpg
Nick5.jpg
Nick6.jpg
Nick7.jpg
Nick8.jpg
Nick9.jpg
Nick10.jpg
Nick11.jpg
Nick12.jpg
Nick13.jpg
Nick14.jpg
Nick15.jpg

Markus Nelis

I haven't shared my thoughts yet so here...

I personally like the current logo. Fits modern Nick and it's orange anyway. I think we don't need splat version anymore.

Markus Nelis

Sadly the modern logo seems to be underrated by older fans. Kids are fine with it mostly though. That's all that matters to them since they target kids.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?
Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.

Featured Posts