What Video Games did you play this week? (2024 Edition)

the_joker

Looks like @wonderfly hasn't been able to update this thread, so I suppose I could do it this time.

Here are some notable games I found that are/were releasing this week.

137796_Contra_Operation_Galuga.jpg

Contra: Operation Galuga (PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Nintendo Switch, PC)

SW-Battlefront-Collection_02-21-24-768x432.jpg

Star Wars: Battlefront Classic Collection (PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Nintendo Switch, PC)

capsule_616x353.jpg

Outcast: A New Beginning (PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PC)

Moe

I'm playing GBA games - Mother 3, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Golden Sun 1 and 2, Mario Tennis: Power Tour and Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour.

I bought Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection Volume 1 + 2 and playing on Switch.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Looks like @wonderfly hasn't been able to update this thread, so I suppose I could do it this time.

Here are some notable games I found that are/were releasing this week.

137796_Contra_Operation_Galuga.jpg

Contra: Operation Galuga (PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Nintendo Switch, PC)

SW-Battlefront-Collection_02-21-24-768x432.jpg

Star Wars: Battlefront Classic Collection (PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Nintendo Switch, PC)

capsule_616x353.jpg

Outcast: A New Beginning (PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PC)

Yes, I was on a mini-vacation. I'm back now. Thank you though, those are the games I would've picked!

If I have to leave for a few days again, maybe I can turn to you for assisting with posting the latest games?

In other news, I had to mail off my Nintendo Switch for repairs last week. The screen got a crack in it, which is going to cost me around $100 to fix, per Nintendo.

I am so ready for the "Switch 2" by this point.

the_joker

If I have to leave for a few days again, maybe I can turn to you for assisting with posting the latest games?
Sure.
In other news, I had to mail off my Nintendo Switch for repairs last week. The screen got a crack in it, which is going to cost me around $100 to fix, per Nintendo.
Is Nintendo paying for shipping?

Also, I dusted off my Nintendo DS and played Super Princess Peach as Peach's new game is releasing next week. It's funny I should play that game before I play a 2D Mario game. The most I did was play a 2D Mario game on a friend's Game Boy at one point, and I don't even remember which game I played. I've been messing up the jumps more than a few times as it's on the A button instead of the B button, and there's no option to change that. It's also like that in The Origami King, but that game is much less about jumping.

Generally, Bowser would kidnap Peach in the platforming games, though I don't know if there are major exceptions. She wasn't kidnapped at first in Mario Sunshine, but I never got to the ending of that game, so I don't know if she was captured later into the story. As the title suggests, this game would be among those exceptions as Peach had to rescue the Mario brothers. Makes one wonder why Bowser never tried to capture all of the main characters simultaneously. The game has jumping around, collecting coins, traveling through pipes, and rescuing Toads, and I wonder if 2D Mario games are also like that. Coins serve a noticeably different purpose as they granted extra lives in most 3D Mario games I played (and feel pointless), but you buy items with coins in here (just like Odyssey, or maybe it's the other way around). The emotional powers are pretty interesting as they allow for different interactions with the environment.

Last edited:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Sure.

Is Nintendo paying for shipping?

No, I'm pretty sure they're lumping that in with the costs. It did end costing a little over $100. I should have it back by the end of this week.

As the Switch has been gone, I've been using the PS5 a bit more as the "family time" console for the last week.

In addition to playing some rounds of "Fall Guys", I've been playing "Foam Stars". It's actually....pretty fun. Yes, the joke is it's a Splatoon wannabe, but it has different mechanics then that game, and it has it's own charm. Good for just jumping in and playing a few rounds. Not really looking to spend money for costumes on it, and I don't want to get sucked in like I was with "Apex Legends" a couple years back, but hey, it's fun.

And we broke out our old copy of "Rayman Legends" and have been playing that. Ubisoft knows how to make good platformers (I'm still going to play that new "Prince of Persia" eventually).

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
What video games did you play this week?
3/18/24:

New Releases this week:

aloneinthedark.jpg

Alone in the Dark
(coming to Playstation 5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC)

dragonsdogma2.jpg

Dragon's Dogma II
(coming to Playstation 5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC)

princesspeachshowtime.jpg

Princess Peach: Showtime
(coming to Nintendo Switch)

riseoftheronin.jpg

Rise of the Ronin
(coming to Playstation 5)

So what have you played this week?!?

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
I'll probably get Princess Peach Showtime in the next couple weeks. Also planning on getting New Star GP, which owes its retro visual style to Virtua Racing. There's also Ufouria 2, a sequel to the cult NES hit, I'll probably get that too. (but what happened to re-releasing the original game on modern consoles? Did they just abandon that?)

ALMOST done with Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered, just a couple more levels in The Lost Artifact expansion pack to go.

Last edited:

the_joker

There are a good number of interesting games releasing this week. I heard of Alone in the Dark but never played any of the games, so I may or may not take a look at it. I also may or may not check out Ronin, but I feel like I should play Ghost of Tsushima first.

Of course, the 2 biggest games for me would be Dragon's Dogma II and Princess Peach: Showtime!, and I'm amusingly more curious about the latter with the main reason being the former seeing a steeper sale within a shorter period of time. The visuals, animations, and gameplay of Princess Peach: Showtime! being more stylized also help even though the former would probably be more up my alley.

As for what I'm playing, I just started playing Batman: Arkham City (finally), and it seems pretty awesome so far. I quite liked the combat in the previous game, and this game added new animations and attacks. Double counters and beatdowns are fun to watch and pull off, the bat swarm makes Batman feel like the powerful and mysterious crimefighter he is, and new gadgets can be quickfired to vary the combat such as pulling a goon with the Batclaw and slamming him on the ground. Just going around the city to beat up goons is already fun.

I definitely enjoyed the larger setting since gliding to cover large distances like in the previous game would lend itself to a larger setting, and some new traveling mechanics are added to make traversal faster, though I don't know if the game takes lets you travel around all of Gotham City or if it's limited to Arkham City only. The game overall makes Asylum look like a prototype.

I haven't encountered any bosses yet, but they weren't very impressive in the previous game, so I'm hoping Arkham City will also have improved in that regard. Playing as Catwoman at the beginning of the game was surprising, though I did know that the game had multiple playable characters. Her attacks are noticeably faster, so I do like that they attempted to differentiate the fighters. I would have liked her segments to be a little longer, though. And Grey DeLisle did a great job playing a mysterious and sultry character.

Too bad Tara Strong did a poor Arleen Sorkin impression, which would be my biggest gripe so far. She tried too hard to sound like Arleen, and the end result is that Harley was clearly not voiced by Arleen as the two don't even sound slightly similar, so Strong's performance sounds fake for a lack of a better term.

There are also over 400 Riddler trophies, which may or may not be troublesome to find.

And we broke out our old copy of "Rayman Legends" and have been playing that. Ubisoft knows how to make good platformers (I'm still going to play that new "Prince of Persia" eventually).
I actually want to get that game at some point, but I can't decide between the PS or the Switch version. The only reason I'm considering the latter is because it has some costumes that are not in the former. I know the costumes do nothing for gameplay, so I don't know why I care about them so much, but apparently I do. Otherwise, the PS version is superior.

Last edited:

5YearsOnEastCoast

I played this game for weeks actually, but since I am still playing it this week, I want to talk about this game which is none other than Minecraft.

The game started a bit rough (I died a bunch of times in it early on lol), but I got used to it and I am loving it. I really liked the crafting system and exploring it's world is intriguing. I have a farm of cows, chickens, pigs and sheep and I grow wheat, melons, carrots, potatoes and sugar canes. I encountered there a bunch of stuff that surprises me. I can see why it became the best selling game ever. The game feels relaxing.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I also may or may not check out Ronin, but I feel like I should play Ghost of Tsushima first.

Exactly what I was thinking. I want to play "Ronin' but get the feeling I should play "Ghost" first (even though they're totally different game studios, and different games).

There are also over 400 Riddler trophies, which may or may not be troublesome to find.

Better than the 1,000 Korok seeds in "Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom", I suppose.

Still, it boggles my mind when publishers put that much work into "things to accomplish".

I actually want to get that game at some point, but I can't decide between the PS or the Switch version. The only reason I'm considering the latter is because it has some costumes that are not in the former. I know the costumes do nothing for gameplay, so I don't know why I care about them so much, but apparently I do. Otherwise, the PS version is superior.

I originally had "Rayman Legends" on the Wii U, years ago. Then I got it for the PS4 (backwards compatible on the PS5). I think I may even get it for the Switch eventually, "just because".

I'm actually undecided as to whether I want to (eventually) get the new Prince of Persia platformer game on the Switch or on my PS5. (it's the same game studio: Ubisoft Montpellier).

the_joker

Better than the 1,000 Korok seeds in "Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom", I suppose.

Still, it boggles my mind when publishers put that much work into "things to accomplish".
Breath of the Wild had 900 seeds, and I didn't collect them all.

Aside from being too troublesome to find all of them, the reward for doing so appears to be a deliberate joke. Makes me wonder how many including myself would've tried to find them all if there was a "trophy" for it.

In AC2, I missed a little more than 20 feathers, and with no in-game map for their locations, I had to use a guide. That ultimately took me almost 2 hours to finish. I did that because there was a small cutscene for it and an "in-universe" reason to do it.

The Riddler trophies in Asylum did culminate in him becoming unhinged and then getting arrested, so that was a nice payoff. I imagine the outcome in Arkham City being similar, and maybe I just don't think I would want Riddler to think Batman wouldn't be up to his challenge, but I'll have to wait and see how I feel as I keep playing.

As such, I feel somewhat mixed about collectibles in a game, but that's probably a topic for another time.

I'm actually undecided as to whether I want to (eventually) get the new Prince of Persia platformer game on the Switch or on my PS5. (it's the same game studio: Ubisoft Montpellier).
The only reason to get the Switch version is for portability. Also, the game is already on something of a sale at $30. Considering their games generally go on a steep sale for better or worse, I'll probably wait longer to buy it.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
3/25/24:

New Releases this week:

southparksnowday.jpg

South Park: Snow Day
(coming to Playstation 5, Xbox Series X/S, Nintendo Switch and PC)

openroads.jpg

Open Roads
(coming to Playstation 4 and 5, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC)

Moe

Princess Peach: Showtime (Switch) and Horizon Forbidden West (PC).

@wonderfly Hey spidey guy, you forgot to mention Horizon Forbidden West (PC) to list. ;)

I'm tempted to play Rise of the Ronin but I have to get PS5 or wait for port to PC within one to two years.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Princess Peach: Showtime (Switch) and Horizon Forbidden West (PC).

@wonderfly Hey spidey guy, you forgot to mention Horizon Forbidden West (PC) to list. ;)

I'm tempted to play Rise of the Ronin but I have to get PS5 or wait for port to PC within one to two years.

I show "Horizon Forbidden West" came to PC last month?

I typically don't list ports to other systems. Most of my picks are new premieres (most of the time, not always). For instance, this week I was also going to include the "Grandia HD Collection" coming to Playstation 4/Xbox One (and thus PS5 and Xbox Series by way of backwards compatibility) but it was first released on the Switch a few years back (so it's a port of a port).

grandiahdcollection.jpg

But oh well, I'll mention it now. ;)

Reactions: Moe

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
They came out on March 21, 2024 (last week).

Yes, you are correct. I was looking at the initial release date in February 2022.

Principle still applies though - it's a port (and that was a busy week last week that already had a lot of picks - Princess Peach Showtime, Rise of the Ronin, etc).

the_joker

I'm still playing Arkham City, and I've beaten 4 of the story bosses so far, and the boss battles in the game have definitely been a BIG step up from Arkham Asylum. Special mention should go to the Mr. Freeze fight which was a great tactical showdown as he had to be approached differently with every attack. New Game+ apparently requires a larger number of attacks to beat him, and there were some attacks that took me a while to figure out, so I wonder how well I would have done the fight on that difficulty.

Grundy and Ra's had some nice spectacle and a variety of attack patterns, the former being a "better" version of the Bane fight from the previous game, and the latter also had minions in his fight.

The Joker fight with his goons, a strongman, and a Titan was pretty chaotic, and I even died twice since there was also a car in the background passing by which I kept forgetting about. It made up for the lackluster Joker fight in the previous game, and that fight should've happened like this, though I wonder how the Joker fight in Arkham City would've been done if that were the case.

There were some side missions with other villains, and not all of them were hits. There was a showdown with Deadshot, and I was expecting to do more than just do a sneak attack on him. I tried to disable his rifle, but that wasn't an option. Bane's mission ended anticlimactically since he got trapped in a cell that seems too feeble for him. Mad Hatter also had a fight with minions, but the its own spectacle differentiated itself.

5YearsOnEastCoast

Zuma's Revenge. This is a pretty addictive game. Basically you play here as a frog and have to throw a matching colored ball to a line of at least 2 balls of same color so they could disappear and you should make all those moving balls disappear before they reach the hole.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
4/01/24:

New Releases this week:

freedomplanet2.jpeg

Freedom Planet 2
(coming to Playstation 4 and 5, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why is it automatically assumed that if a person were to suddenly gain super powers they'll put on tights and either immediately decide to save the world or conquer/destroy it?
the sports junkie in me really loves playing Sports Reference's Immaculate Grid games. nice way to start off each morning.
Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?

Featured Posts