Why is Discovery Family/The Hub no longer doing original animated programming?

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
Most likely WBD will just keep Discovery Family running on a treadmill for its ad revenue. Like Boomerang , there may be the occasional spike here and there, but it'll likely just end up another zombie channel like Boomerang's been for the past decade or so.

Yeah, they could conceivably do something like turn it into a Cartoonito channel, but that would require this regime to actually give a crap about preschool programming, which they clearly don't.

FirePuppy

Most likely WBD will just keep Discovery Family running on a treadmill for its ad revenue. Like Boomerang , there may be the occasional spike here and there, but it'll likely just end up another zombie channel like Boomerang's been for the past decade or so.

Yeah, they could conceivably do something like turn it into a Cartoonito channel, but that would require this regime to actually give a crap about preschool programming, which they clearly don't.
I don't mind that happening as long as Hasbro gets out of that channel by the time their time with WBD is done in 8-10 months.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
^^Why do you even care what they do? You've stated in previous posts that you have no interest in this channel beyond its carrying My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, but the show ended five years ago and Discovery Family isn't the only way to watch it. Not only is FiM streaming on Netflix, but the entire series is on Blu-Ray; why not just buy the box set and be done with it?

(Heck, what happens with Discovery Family is inconsequential to me as well since I no longer receive DF, plus I stopped watching the channel before I cut the cord.)

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
^^Why do you even care what they do? You've stated in previous posts that you have no interest in this channel beyond its carrying My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, but the show ended five years ago and Discovery Family isn't the only way to watch it. Not only is FiM streaming on Netflix, but the entire series is on Blu-Ray; why not just buy the box set and be done with it?

(Heck, what happens with Discovery Family is inconsequential to me as well since I no longer receive DF, plus I stopped watching the channel before I cut the cord.)
MLP: Friendship is Magic has no Blu-Ray release only DVD and they only go up to Season 7 and the entire series can be bought on digital stores. Besides being Hasbro’s longest show FIM doesn’t appear to be in danger as a tax write off so it should be safe digitally.

FirePuppy

I just want Hasbro to move to another service instead of staying on that miserable channel any longer so that more international productions of their works become available as well.

Stumpos

I just want Hasbro to move to another service instead of staying on that miserable channel any longer so that more international productions of their works become available as well.
Again, why do you care if Discovery Family still airs the show?

And what do you mean by international productions that aren't available? How does the Hasbro shows from the early 2010s still airing on Discovery Family have any effect on that?

FirePuppy

Again, why do you care if Discovery Family still airs the show?

And what do you mean by international productions that aren't available? How does the Hasbro shows from the early 2010s still airing on Discovery Family have any effect on that?
Okay, I admit I was going off-topic on that, but either way, I just want to know what will happen after Discovery Family gives Hasbro the boot.

Stumpos

I have recently found this interesting post regarding Gen 5 of MLP.

1716390013960.png

And there is some truth to this statement since this Twitter post does support this.

Looks like they originally planned Gen 5 to have been a 2D animated series to air on Discovery Family like Gen 4, but COVID caused the plan for A New Generation to be released in theaters to fall apart and led Netflix to gain the rights to Gen 5 with Hasbro instead, leading to the Gen 5 we have right now.

So if it wasn't for COVID, Gen 5 of MLP would've been on Discovery Family instead of Netflix and still given Discovery Family some original programming after Pony Life ended.

Stumpos

The Hub already had an uphill battle to begin with. Cartoon Network was going through a renaissance period for their cartoons in the early 2010s, and IIRC you had to pay extra for The Hub, much like NickToons and Boomerang.

Again, one hit show (MLP), maybe two with LPS 2012, vs Adventure Time, Regular Show and Gumball for Cartoon Network, (along with Gravity Falls and Phineas and Ferb for Disney).
In terms of what you said regarding Nickelodeon and them producing successful shows in their first 13 years, you started at 1991 even though Nickelodeon technically began in 1979.

So technically, Nickelodeon's first 13 years are between 1979 and 1992. And let's be real, most of the shows Nickelodeon had in their first 10 years aren't really talked about today (even Nickelodeon does jack squat in acknowledging them) with only You Can't Do That on Television and Double Dare being successful and well remembered within Nickelodeon's first decade.

I am interested in this question though: What could The Hub have done to ensure they had more successful shows beyond MLP and LPS 2012? Like, what kind of shows could they have picked up to boast their resume of shows people remember?

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
I am interested in this question though: What could The Hub have done to ensure they had more successful shows beyond MLP and LPS 2012? Like, what kind of shows could they have picked up to boast their resume of shows people remember?
Well, it's simple: take care of your shows properly that are not owned by Hasbro.

I mean, Dan Vs, Aquabats, and The Haunting Hour are the only non-Hasbro shows that were major successes for them or close to being a major success that can boast their resume of shows, but they decided to cut their loss and just gave up on them shortly afterwards.

PrevueLovesAnimeTV

In terms of what you said regarding Nickelodeon and them producing successful shows in their first 13 years, you started at 1991 even though Nickelodeon technically began in 1979.

So technically, Nickelodeon's first 13 years are between 1979 and 1992. And let's be real, most of the shows Nickelodeon had in their first 10 years aren't really talked about today (even Nickelodeon does jack squat in acknowledging them) with only You Can't Do That on Television and Double Dare being successful and well remembered within Nickelodeon's first decade.

You Can't Do That on Television was an outside program produced by CTV Station CJOH in ottawa (when Bushnell was doing the Station Justice and then Nick got it in 1982 and then YTV in 1988)

FirePuppy

I doubt Discovery Family will start acquiring more foreign shows when Hasbro pulls out. They might not stop, but I think it's more likely the slots currently occupied by Hasbro shows would be given to WBD shows.
Good, because as far as I'm concerned, Discovery Family is now looking more like a prison for Hasbro's properties.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I don't know where to post this...
but Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is in development of Disney.

I guess Nick is officially done with this franchise for now.
Happy 20th Birthday to the Cartoon Network City Era!

Watching this clip from the Princess Power special "Princess Royal Wedding", where Queen Ryung & Queen Olivia get married, makes me glad that the show was picked up by a streaming service. If it was picked up by the Junior 3 (Disney Jr, Nick Jr , & PBS Kids), an episode like this either wouldn't be made or if it,would come when the show was went to a less available channel
Happy 20th anniversary to my favorite CN logo and CN City.
Today marks the 20th Year Anniversary of Cartoon Network's "City Era". This era ties with the "Powerhouse Era" as my favorite era through out the channel's history.

Featured Posts