"X-Men '97" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss Season One of X-Men'97!

• Total voters

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
So I guess Storm is a Saiyan or something if her hair grows when she becomes more powerful.

I thought the episode felt very experimental. I think I could like it better if I rewatched it, but much of this episode felt strange because it hit very little of the X-Men's bread and butter (mutants); we had magical demons, alien empires, etc., all things that X-Men touch upon but not really being the core story. One complaint I have is that my last recollection of Deathbird was her failed coup against Lilandra when she teamed with Apocalypse who left her high and dry. I figured she should be imprisoned for sedition. Since the show confirms that Xavier was recuperating in deep space, I'm curious to see what the real deal was with his "murder" on Earth.

All the relationship drama of this show is coming up short for me, minus the Rogue/Gambit stuff (and I mean Rogue and Gambit, not the triangle with Magneto), but Storm's transformation into her Claremont/Byrne era look was hype enough to feel satisfied at the end.

Frontier

Staff member
Opening updates! Nightcrawler has now replaced Magneto in the OP (which is probably foreshadowing him joining the team), and we also have visuals of that two-parter where Wolverine and Storm as future loves from an alternate timeline with Bishop try to stop Nimrod. Also shots of Xavier and Lilandra's love and the X-Men vs the Imperial Guard :cool:.

Can I just say what an amazing job Alison Sealy-Smith did in this episode as both Storm and the Adversary? From one minute gripping emotional pathos and charm, the next pure vile and self-loathing...and she pulled it off fantastically :D!

Oh they used the same magic effect as the MCU Sorcerers :anime:!

I really did not expect to see Ronan the Accuser show up in my X-Men cartoon...not that he did much but get beat up. But it was nice to see him :).

It was nice to see Deathbird finally get a speaking appearance, and both her and Lilandra's new VA did a great job as the two sisters and their sibling rivalry over the fate of the Shi'ar :ack:.

Arakki was the least enthused about the engagement announcement :rolleyes2:.

I know there was some speculation that they would've retconned Xavier's survival at the end of the original series, but it was nice to see Charles again (and walking!) and it was especially nice to see a classic, likeable, version of Xavier again...even if Ross Marquand is still merely a decent imitation of Cedric Smith. Still, good stuff :cool:.

Gladiator is so powerful that you really want to make sure you're rightfully on the throne so he's on your side o_O.

I love Xavier strutting his powers to take the entire Shi'Ar and their culture to class to teach them a better way, complete with them having to raise their hands to speak. How many times have demerits been mentioned this season? It's just too bad sensing the attack on Genosha, and Gambit's death, made him realize his place is on Earth rather than by Lilandra's side...he could never give up on the X-Men :(.

But hey, at least Deathbird's not on the throne :p!

Forge really straining this new relationship and Ororo admitting she loves him too by almost immediately making her deal with her claustrophobia :sweat:.

Storm learned what it means to be human and to be powerless, and the conviction to fight on despite that powerlessness, but that was also to make her realize her limitations and her humanity so she could regain her FULL power....COMPLETE WITH REGAINING HER FLOWING MANE OF HAIR AND HER CLASSIC COSTUME AS DESIGNED BY DAVE COCKRUM AS SHE FLIES INTO THE SKY. THE MISTRESS OF THE ELEMENTS HAS RETURNED :cool:.

I wonder if they're going to reuse the animation of shot of her flying in the sky before she swung by the animals for her new intro sequence :quinn:

Ororo really seemed to be considering going on a vacation with Forge...until she hears about Genosha (and it gets worse, other nations won't accept any surviving Mutants). Though Forge seemed to recognize the Tri-Sentinel Master Mold. Does he know who was involved in it? Recognizing Bastion :confused:?

Though it seems like the real orchestrator of the attack was none other than...Mr. Sinister, using Bolivar Trask to gain access to Sentinel Tech. Not sure what Sinister gets out of killing so many Mutants :oops:.

ShadowStar

I'm still a little lost on how Storm not only got her powers back but manifested her old hair and classic costume. I really need to rewatch. When things get trippy, my brain tends to go for a walk.

It's interesting that they've gone in this direction with Storm's outfit because she's showing a lot of skin here, and that's become less common for female superheroes. For example, Mary Marvel was shown wearing a full-body suit in Young Justice (as Sergeant Marvel), rather than the skirt that she has worn in the comics. Here, the team behind X-Men '97 has indicated that they aren't afraid to have Storm look that bit more exposed, which is unusual these days and pretty cool. The fact that it's her original look from the 70's comics really drives home that there's an effort here to bring her character back to its roots, regardless of societal expectations concerning what "should/shouldn't" be shown onscreen.

Frontier said:
Though Forge seemed to recognize the Tri-Sentinel Master Mold. Does he know who was involved in it? Recognizing Bastion :confused:?

We might see and/or learn about Bastion as early as in the next episode. I hope that that's the case. Having Mr. Sinister be involved is fine because there's a precedent for that in the comic books (the Mutant Massacre) -- and I would MUCH rather have Sinister and/or Bastion be the one(s) responsible for all of this than Cassandra Nova (a character I cannot stand at all, who caused the Sentinel attack on Genosha in the comics) -- but yeah, Bastion really should be involved too. And I'm very excited to see him. But will he have a Scottish accent, since Forge talked about "a scientist in Scotland"? That would be weird.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
When I first saw Storm's full locks and her classic Cockrum suit, I thought she might be back envisioning her African goddess days until it turned out to be the real thing. It's been cool seeing all the Dave Cockrum influenced designs from Morph's Colossus cameo to Nightcrawler to the all the Shiar stuff to Storm's retro look now. I generally prefer Storm in black, although I love the 90s look.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It's interesting that they've gone in this direction with Storm's outfit because she's showing a lot of skin here, and that's become less common for female superheroes. For example, Mary Marvel was shown wearing a full-body suit in Young Justice (as Sergeant Marvel), rather than the skirt that she has worn in the comics. Here, the team behind X-Men '97 has indicated that they aren't afraid to have Storm look that bit more exposed, which is unusual these days and pretty cool. The fact that it's her original look from the 70's comics really drives home that there's an effort here to bring her character back to its roots, regardless of societal expectations concerning what "should/shouldn't" be shown onscreen.

We might see and/or learn about Bastion as early as in the next episode. I hope that that's the case. Having Mr. Sinister be involved is fine because there's a precedent for that in the comic books (the Mutant Massacre) -- and I would MUCH rather have Sinister and/or Bastion be the one(s) responsible for all of this than Cassandra Nova (a character I cannot stand at all, who caused the Sentinel attack on Genosha in the comics) -- but yeah, Bastion really should be involved too. And I'm very excited to see him. But will he have a Scottish accent, since Forge talked about "a scientist in Scotland"? That would be weird.

Bastion will not be Scottish, Forge was talking about Dr. Adler, a scientist from the first season of X-Men TAS.

If Bastion is voiced by Theo James, he will have an English accent.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Bastion will not be Scottish, Forge was talking about Dr. Adler, a scientist from the first season of X-Men TAS.
I forget that Cable was looking for Adler during The Cure. Then we never even see the real Adler because it feels as though Mystique kills him for Apocalypse, before assuming his place. I wonder if all of this comes into play.

ShadowStar

If Bastion is voiced by Theo James, he will have an English accent.

I had forgotten about Theo James (that he'd been cast). I had completely forgotten about Dr. Adler as well. Thanks for reminding me about both of these things!

Frontier

Staff member
I was genuinely surprised they went backwards for Storm's new suit, rather than one of her modern costumes, but I guess in terms of pure power and freedom no better look expressed that like her classic Cockrum costume.

This makes me wonder if we're going to see Wolverine in the tan costume at some point...

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I was genuinely surprised they went backwards for Storm's new suit, rather than one of her modern costumes, but I guess in terms of pure power and freedom no better look expressed that like her classic Cockrum costume.

This makes me wonder if we're going to see Wolverine in the tan costume at some point...

I like the use of the yellow and blue tiger stripe suit, because it goes with the blue and yellow theme of the team, especially how it shows Wolverine as the opposite of Cyclops. Brown and Tan will always be my favorite Wolverine costume though. It was cool that Brian Bendis got them to use it in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. It always suited Wolverine the best in my eyes, and it probably helps that it's the first one I knew. That's the Wolverine I thought was scary when I was 4 years old, browsing my cousin's comics, and it's the version I first started liking when I played the Konami game.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I realize it's all stuff from the comics but it would be funny if the team gets new costumes that makes them look closer to the designs from Wolverine & the X-Men. There was a rumor not too long ago they will have new suits by the end of the season, so we'll see if it was accurate or what the crew comes up with.

Personally I'd love to see Wolverine's orange suit from X-Men: Evolution in action again but I doubt it will happen (not here, anyway).

Frontier

Staff member
I realize it's all stuff from the comics but it would be funny if the team gets new costumes that makes them look closer to the designs from Wolverine & the X-Men. There was a rumor not too long ago they will have new suits by the end of the season, so we'll see if it was accurate or what the crew comes up with.

Personally I'd love to see Wolverine's orange suit from X-Men: Evolution in action again but I doubt it will happen (not here, anyway).
It would be kind of funny if instead of modern costumes everyone goes back to even more retro looks like Storm did :p.

ShadowStar

Since Xavier is most likely returning to Earth in that Shi'ar suit, I'm a bit worried that
they might adapt "Planet X", by having a highly aggressive and very bloodthirsty Magneto (who's angry about the Genoshan massacre) fight with the X-Men and ultimately kill Jean Grey, which would in turn lead to an outraged Xavier (in a Shi'ar suit) wiping Magneto's mind, like he did in "Fatal Attractions". (After all, Magneto is probably alive, while Gambit is dead.) Then we would get Onslaught. I'm all for "Fatal Attractions" and Onslaught being adapted, but I'm concerned that the ongoing Jean/Scott drama in this show is going to result in Jean's death (like it did in "Planet X"), and I would hate that. I'm aware that Magneto targeted Wolverine -- not Jean -- in "Fatal Attractions" (right before Xavier wiped his mind), but Jean has a bigger role in this show than Logan, so I'm concerned that she might be the one who gets hurt by Magneto.

Frontier

Staff member
Since Xavier is most likely returning to Earth in that Shi'ar suit, I'm a bit worried that
they might adapt "Planet X", by having a highly aggressive and very bloodthirsty Magneto (who's angry about the Genoshan massacre) fight with the X-Men and ultimately kill Jean Grey, which would in turn lead to an outraged Xavier (in a Shi'ar suit) wiping Magneto's mind, like he did in "Fatal Attractions". (After all, Magneto is probably alive, while Gambit is dead.) Then we would get Onslaught. I'm all for "Fatal Attractions" and Onslaught being adapted, but I'm concerned that the ongoing Jean/Scott drama in this show is going to result in Jean's death (like it did in "Planet X"), and I would hate that. I'm aware that Magneto targeted Wolverine -- not Jean -- in "Fatal Attractions" (right before Xavier wiped his mind), but Jean has a bigger role in this show than Logan, so I'm concerned that she might be the one who gets hurt by Magneto.
I'm wondering if we're going to see Magneto rip out Wolverine's adamantium but I think we're for sure going to see a bit of a schism as the team are divided over whether to follow Xavier's ideals or go along with Magneto :ack:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
My weekly review is now up on the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com.

x9706f.jpg

X-Men ’97: “Lifedeath, Part 2” Episode Recap

Previously, on X-Men! A powerless Storm is confronted by a demonic entity called the Adversary. Magneto and Gambit are among the many casualties of a Sentinel attack on Genosha.

As the title of this week’s episode implies, we see a continuation of Storm’s plot from earlier in the season. But that’s not all, as we also revisit something that has been sort of ignored until now, Professor Xavier’s fate. It’s something the show had to touch on, eventually. The episode acts like a good interlude after the previous tragic episode, and before the next ones which will probably go back to the bigger and more important battles between mutants and humans. Until then we have a story that advances plots started earlier on both this and the original series, just not the plot from last week’s episode.

Click here to read the full article.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I'll say one good thing about this show. It's been good for Toon Zone. We actually talk about the show and give theories and speculation. It's the one space on the site safe from merger wish lists and redundant threads about general cartoon preferences. We actually talk about a specific cartoon for once. And I love it and am here for it.

Keep that in mind if my promised in-depth review next week is negative (and it probably will be VERY negative). I love talking about the show and feel its two threads are some of the brightest spots on Toon Zone currently. Whether I like the show or not.

Christopher Glennon

Punch Drunk Flounder
Staff member
Reporter
I knew we would get Xavier eventually, I was thinking perhaps in flashback, but this worked quite well. There's a lot of history between Xavier and Lilandra, but his students will always be his children. Still, I wonder what would have happened if Deathbird didn't interrupt the trial. Now that he knows what happened in Genosha and felt Gambit's death, Xavier can't just leave Earth behind.

The cliffhanger of what happened to Xavier is finally answered. I was wondering if they were going to elaborate on that plot point because that was the literal cliffhanger ending of the original cartoon.

In a way, that could've been seen as a definitive ending. I loved Xavier's parting words to everyone, and he didn't expect to see them again after that scene.

I love Xavier strutting his powers to take the entire Shi'Ar and their culture to class to teach them a better way, complete with them having to raise their hands to speak. How many times have demerits been mentioned this season?

Way more than in any animated version of Xavier. It's weird since the change in demerits symbolized the change from Silver to Bronze Age X-Men.

I like the use of the yellow and blue tiger stripe suit, because it goes with the blue and yellow theme of the team, especially how it shows Wolverine as the opposite of Cyclops. Brown and Tan will always be my favorite Wolverine costume though. It was cool that Brian Bendis got them to use it in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. It always suited Wolverine the best in my eyes, and it probably helps that it's the first one I knew. That's the Wolverine I thought was scary when I was 4 years old, browsing my cousin's comics, and it's the version I first started liking when I played the Konami game.

Speaking of video games, I like this costume for Storm because it reminds me of the X-Men arcade game.

I'll say one good thing about this show. It's been good for Toon Zone. We actually talk about the show and give theories and speculation. It's the one space on the site safe from merger wish lists and redundant threads about general cartoon preferences. We actually talk about a specific cartoon for once. And I love it and am here for it.

Keep that in mind if my promised in-depth review next week is negative (and it probably will be VERY negative). I love talking about the show and feel its two threads are some of the brightest spots on Toon Zone currently. Whether I like the show or not.

Yeah, it certainly has been awesome to talk about this show. I welcome disagreements, of course, even if yours will skew negative.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
x97talk.png

X-Men '97 - "Bright Eyes"
Debut: April 24, 2024 on Disney+

"Cyclops focuses the X-Men on finding Bolivar Trask. However, when the team locates the Sentinel inventor, they realize that they all have been played by a mastermind."

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
When they included the funeral in the trailer, I thought it might be a misdirect but I never suspected the body would be Remy :(

Cap looks great, and no red trunks this time. I wasn't expecting Ross and a Hulk reference. Josh Keaton credited. I didn't even notice it was him.

Gyrich getting offed by his replacement was unexpected.

I wasn't expecting that drop from Rogue.

I've seen some say that Morph is replicating powers now but I was skeptical. Looks like it's true.

And Theo James' vocal role is finally revealed. Reminds me a little of Neal McDonough here.

I'm a little surprised Ororo isn't back yet but very good episode.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
X-Men '97 "Bright Eyes"

I promised a VERY negative in-depth review this week, and I will not break my promise. However the episode provided me with a unique challenge in doing so. That was the best episode so far. Five Star quality, which will be reflected in the final grade. I expected to tell you what I would have done differently (and I assumed my idea would have been better than the fall-out) but their fall-out was excellent as well.

My major complaint about the Genosha episode was killing off Gambit and Magneto. Obviously Magneto is still alive. But I said to myself if this episode STARTED with Gambit waking up in Rogue's arms and saying "Scared you, didn't I, cher?" and two minutes later Magneto popped out of a time portal with Cable with Leech and said "I will make them pay for this!" I would have been annoyed, but been like, "I'll allow it." I was 50/50 on Magneto being dead anyways, but I would have been fine with a false death ending and understand that's the price of doing business in genre.

Here is where my negativity comes in. Killing off Gambit made that episode shocking. But it makes the show worse. Even if it's not permanent. ESPECIALLY if it's not permanent. Both scenarios are no-win for the show whether this episode was excellent or not.

Let's assume it's permanent first. That was episode five. We had the opportunity to explore a sophisticated relationship with Rogue and Gambit without Saturday morning restrictions or the network saying "10 year old boys don't like the mushy stuff," (which would be a true note by the way). And we only had that dynamic for five episodes and outside of the last one, it was barely broached at all. The short 10 episode count worked against one of the major selling points of bringing the show back for all ages instead of just kids. Gone. Poof. The show is worse. Permanently.

Let's assume it's temporary next. This scenario would actually be worse. Let's assume Sentinel Trask infects Gambit's body with the virus and Gambit is one of the Big Bads of the season, and the victory is bring him back to life. This is the nightmare scenario for the long-term health of the show, even though as of now it's what we probably most want. If they buy back Gambit's death, that means anytime a character dies on the show for real we'll be looking for escape hatches. We won't trust what the show is showing us. Then major dramatic deaths will not ever land or be as impactful as they should be or need to be. The dramatic tension of the show is gutted forever, whether I am relieved Gambit is back or not. The show is worse. Permanently.

What would I have done differently? I don't exactly object to what happened on Genosha. I explore dark themes in my own work (yes, including genocide). But I would have Gambit put into triage at the beginning of this episode and Rogue feeling hopeless because she couldn't feel him at the end of the last episode. And after a few agonizing minutes (which the non-Saturday morning restrictions would allow me to get delightfully and alarmingly bloody with) and dramatic pauses, Gambit is stabilized to the What The Effedness of Rogue and everyone else. They're happy he's okay, mind, but WHAAA??

Rogue is visiting him in the hospital and while he's weakened they sadly reconnect and take the toll of the dead and it sucks. While they are there Gambit impulsively touches Rogue's face as she pulls back in horror. But nothing happens. The What The Effedness continues and Rogue tentatively touches Gambit's skin and they both realize his connection to Mastermold's blow-out immunized himself to Rogue's touch. The 'ship is on, baby!

If I had written this episode I would not have punished the characters or the audience, I would have given both their wildest dream. Does that sound less dramatic? It's not. It opens up new, wonderful avenues of drama. Both believe Magneto is dead so there is guilt and trepidation on Rogue's end. And the genocide has still devastated them and the other X-Men, so there is built-in guilt and regret that their new lives are just beginning and they are feeling sickeningly happy while everyone else is suffering. Worse, both worry this is on a clock and not permanent especially after they finally deal with the threat of this Bastion cat. I'd make it permanent myself but I'd make it a tension and a worry.

Is this idea better or worse than what we got? I think in hindsight what we got was better for this specific episode (although there were still major problems) but my idea would have been better for the long-term health of the show. Feel free to disagree.

Before getting to the good in the episode (and there was plenty) let's go through the rest of the bad.

I have spoken up elsewhere I don't like the swearing. And yeah, while I was half-kidding about making Gambit's triage bloody I don't like the show losing THAT many of the Saturday morning restrictions. The hecks and darns of the old show are corny, but established. It's part of what the Universe is and it fits. TV-14 stuff does not, is jarring, takes me out of it, reminds me the show is fiction, (and trying to cynically appeal to adults). This complaint can be leveled at the returns of Batman And Harley Quinn, Justice League Vs. The Fatal Five, Young Justice, and Samurai Jack too, so it's not like this is the sole failing of this show.

And that's another thing about fake-out deaths and the potential that Gambit coming back to life is possible, thereby gutting real dramatic tension, and making the audience mistrust the writers, and not believe what they are seeing: They effect MOST dramas. It's a problem for MOST TV shows and why I believe most TV shows suck. It's not just this show. The problem is so widespread nobody understands how damaging it is. I don't even think the audience themselves understand how damaging it is. They simply accept it as normal and it is an expected trope. But making a viewer cynical in viewing your work is a failing. It's breaking trust and means you can never actually deliver moments of pure magic. As a writer, for me? Pure magic and connection is what it's all about. The idea that most writers thinking screwing around the viewer is fine is bad enough. The fact that most viewers have conditioned themselves to believe it's okay too is far more depressing to me.

Why aren't any of the X-Men grieving Magneto or holding a funeral for him? He WAS their leader.

No new images in the theme song this week. Feel kind of ripped off about it.

Finally, Rogue tossing Trask out the window is a big dramatic moment. Or it would have been if they hadn't immediately bought it back. I love that it's Morph voicing the outrage, but what bugs me about Trask's second life and Rogue being let off the hook for his murder is if he had simply jumped himself, Sentinel Trask still would have been activated anyways. There is no need to give Rogue that dark moment at ALL other than to screw around the viewer.

That is my in-depth negative review for this five star episode. But since I've giving it five stars I'd better detail what I like first. More Marvel connections including Captain America, General Ross, and Hulk shout-out. Morph actually drinks the diet soda. Emma Frost is given is her diamond powers. Magneto reveal at the end as Bastion creepily shaves him to the already weird song Purple People Eater. Seriously cannot overstate how ick that is. The sleek animation on Rogue going nuts in the fight scenes. More esoteric Beast quotes including a famous and beloved one from Mister Rogers. Kurt's wonderful eulogy for Gambit.

And somebody elsewhere complained that the Sinister reveal last week was less dramatic than it would have been if he hadn't already appeared this season. I think the fact that he's working for someone else (Bastion) negates that complaint.

So yeah, that's me totally dunking on this show, and why I hate it, it's awful, it's no good, and it's failing you and America. Final grade: *****.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I don't care what anyone says, The Super Friends version of the origin of Batman was pretty effective for 1980s Saturday morning TV. Plus, Alfred telling young Bruce Wayne it's time to go when visiting his parents' graves just tugs at the heartstrings.

Not sure how I've only just heard of Too Close for Comfort; so it's a sitcom where Ted Knight plays a cartoonist? Based on a British sitcom I've somehow also never heard of?? With a Garfield themed episode guest staring Jim Davis?!?
First Boomerang ups their game, then MeTV Toons becomes reality, but I don't get either channel. Meanwhile, Cartoon Network and Max continue to starve under the stairs. At least Conan O'Brien Must Go is good.
Seriously, I can't wait for the brand-new Puella Magi Madoka Magica movie titled Walpurgisnacht Rising! You?
The rumor about MeTV Toons launching on June 25th has been deleted. Now there's no word on whether the channel will launch or not.

Featured Posts