What year is your nostalgia cutoff point?

Pooky

Staff member
Wow, that article is such a time capsule of 2011. The writers says "Avatar" and "Harry Potter" failed to bring America together the same way "Star Wars" and "The Matrix" did (that's....an opinion. But it's true that this was before "Avengers" in 2012 cemented the status of Marvel films in pop culture). And he makes the comment that "Facebook's not political" (wow, that didn't last).

Yeah, appropriately enough for a discussion about nostalgia I think they had a pretty rosey, over-simplified view of the past; I don't think "we" were "all on the same page" when it came to Nirvana, that was kind of the point. The Matrix wasn't Star Wars big; everyone alive and even vaguely plugged in at the time knows what "bullet time" is, but I don't know if that quite pushes it over the line, and if it does what about The Matrix made it a monoculture sensation in a way that was significantly different from the (then very recent) Dark Knight? And if The Matrix was a monoculture sensation in 1999, why was Jagged Little Pill in 1995/96 (which comfortably outsold Nevermind and all Prince albums) not? But an interesting insight into a school of though at the time nonetheless.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I don't really have a nostalgia cutoff point per se, just preferences in versions of things, if that makes sense.

Violt

To be truthful here....if you set a "cutoff date" you will eventually turn into that old man who's always stuck in the past. You don't have to necessarily be a child at a point in time to remember something fondly from it. Find something to like about every decade you're alive in.

As much as I like looking fondly on older days, they're not all that I want to have. You don't want to be stuck in the past or embrace nostalgia, for it can be an invitation for bewitchment.

AnimatedFan01

To be truthful here....if you set a "cutoff date" you will eventually turn into that old man who's always stuck in the past. You don't have to necessarily be a child at a point in time to remember something fondly from it. Find something to like about every decade you're alive in.
Oh I like new things too, such as Craig of the Creek, Gumball, Amphibia, Bob's Burgers, and Rick and Morty. And there are definitely shows from my designated nostalgia era which I admit were bad even as a kid, such as Mr. Meaty, The Cramp Twins, The X's, Brandy and Mr. Whiskers, etc.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
Nostalgia can be dangerous, Can you believe there are people who are nostalgic for the days when Times Square in NYC had adult shops, grindhouse movie theaters that played movies like Cannibal Holocausr, and you couldn't go five feet without getting stabbed in the kidneys?

I get it, people liked it better back when it had some character and not the Disney-fied tourist trap it is nowadays, but things change for a reason.

AnimatedFan01

You know you're getting old when you already see tweens and young teenagers calling Steven Universe, Uncle Grandpa, Breadwinners, Sanjay and Craig and freakin' season 1 of The Loud House shows of their childhood/nostalgic. I knew I was starting to get old when I saw Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Gumball developing a childhood nostalgia fanbase, but I never knew I'd get this old.

And believe me, you have to have on some serious nostalgia glasses to think The Problem Solverz, Fanboy and Chum Chum, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, Annoying Orange, and Almost Naked Animals were any good, as well as the poorly received Disney and Nick kid-coms airing at the time like Dog with a Blog, Bucket and Skinner's Epic Adventure, Fred the Show, Marvin Marvin, and CN's live-action Incredible Crew and Level Up.

Pooky

Staff member
Nostalgia can be dangerous, Can you believe there are people who are nostalgic for the days when Times Square in NYC had adult shops, grindhouse movie theaters that played movies like Cannibal Holocaust, and you couldn't go five feet without getting stabbed in the kidneys?

I get it, people liked it better back when it had some character and not the Disney-fied tourist trap it is nowadays, but things change for a reason.

Oh, I can totally get that highlighted bit. Well not Cannibal Holocaust maybe, but throw on an Exterminator II or a Death Wish 3 and I'm there.

Dr.Pepper

As I’m rewatching Steven Universe, I feel nostalgia for it. I mostly feel nostalgia for the good times, excitement, and anticipation I had for it. Just for the record, I was in my mid to late 20’s at the time. Im specifically reminded of The Summer of Steven that happened in 2016. That was the summer after I earned my bachelor’s degree and I was volunteering at a local museum. I was also excited for Pokémon Sun and Moon, but that’s another subject for another day.

Pooky

Staff member
I had Despicable Me 2 on in the background recently, and I was struck by how "of its time" some of the pop music on the soundtrack sounded, even though it feels like "just yesterday" I saw it in the cinema (when I was 26 for reference). Maybe not as dated as, say, the Flashdance soundtrack must have sounded to adults in the 90s, but I wonder how it sounds to young adults who grew up with the film, or even to kids who are watching these films for the first time now.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
As I’m rewatching Steven Universe, I feel nostalgia for it. I mostly feel nostalgia for the good times, excitement, and anticipation I had for it. Just for the record, I was in my mid to late 20’s at the time. Im specifically reminded of The Summer of Steven that happened in 2016. That was the summer after I earned my bachelor’s degree and I was volunteering at a local museum. I was also excited for Pokémon Sun and Moon, but that’s another subject for another day.

Sounds similar to me watching Samurai Jack in the early 2000's, after graduating college, and playing on my PS2.

I had Despicable Me 2 on in the background recently, and I was struck by how "of its time" some of the pop music on the soundtrack sounded, even though it feels like "just yesterday" I saw it in the cinema (when I was 26 for reference). Maybe not as dated as, say, the Flashdance soundtrack must have sounded to adults in the 90s, but I wonder how it sounds to young adults who grew up with the film, or even to kids who are watching these films for the first time now.

The Despicable Me franchise is going to remain tied to the 2010's, just like Shrek is going to remain tied to the 2000's.

AnimatedFan01

I get what you're saying, but I can think of some pretty big differences...
Here are all the differences I can think of:

Things that were popular but have fallen out of fashion (in no particular order):

-Vine (the OG TikTok)
-Impact font memes
-Google+ (it took over YouTube in 2013)
-Fidget spinners
-The Annoying Orange
-Smosh
-FRED
-Yahoo! Answers
-The Twilight saga
-"Parody" accounts on Twitter that post recycled Tumblr jokes/relatable memes
-Hating on Justin Bieber, One Direction, Miley Cyrus, or Rebecca Black
-The Xbox One, Wii U, and Nintendo 3DS
-App games like Temple Run, Flappy Bird, Angry Birds, Candy Crush, Cut the Rope, and Fruit Ninja
-Glee
-Victorious
-Silly Bandz

Changes:

-COPPA takes over YouTube
-YouTube dislike button is removed
-Disney Channel loses its Mickey Mouse logo

I can't think of much else.

AnimatedFan01

I should probably add that it isn't healthy to hold certain years in such high regard that you immediately dismiss anything from the following year. I remember New Year's Eve 2008, at 7 years old, where I was reminiscing on how good a year was 2008 was and how many good shows/episodes aired this year, and was worrying about how tomorrow the numbers of the year would change and how it would no longer be the year those amazing events happened anymore. Then once New Year's Day hit I was all like "I want it to still be 2008!" and all of the sudden nothing felt interesting anymore and my dopamine suddenly went down, which is a terrible event for a child so young to suffer. I'm not sure if my fixation on the years lead to everything starting to go down in quality, or if it was all just a coincidence and everything really did start to suck in 2009?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Today I found out there is a new PBS Retro FAST channel available on The Roku Channel. I also learned that I can access it when I thought I wouldn't be able to. PBS Retro has a lot of great shows I never thought I'd see again. Awesome!
It looks like Bob Backish may be out as CEO of Paramount. Can David Zaslav be next? Please?
nick.com has banner (since past few weeks) has KCA 2024 on July 13 at 8pm. But no further news, nor any promos for it yet.

I thought Nick would get new promos for other shows or new episodes, but still NOTHING.
Why is it automatically assumed that if a person were to suddenly gain super powers they'll put on tights and either immediately decide to save the world or conquer/destroy it?
the sports junkie in me really loves playing Sports Reference's Immaculate Grid games. nice way to start off each morning.

Featured Posts