"Batman: Caped Crusader (Amazon Prime)" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
WarnerMedia has announced a new Batman animated series from Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves is coming to HBO Max. Details are below:

artworklarge.jpg

HBO Max and Cartoon Network have greenlit a straight to series order for Batman: Caped Crusader, an all-new animated series and reimagining of the Batman mythology through the visionary lens of executive producers Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves and produced by Warner Bros. Animation (WBA), Bad Robot Productions and 6th & Idaho. The news was announced today by Tom Ascheim, President, Warner Bros. Global Kids, Young Adults and Classics (GKYAC) and Sam Register, President, Warner Bros. Animation (WBA) and Cartoon Network Studios (CNS).
Executive Producers Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves said: “We are beyond excited to be working together to bring this character back, to tell engrossing new stories in Gotham City. The series will be thrilling, cinematic and evocative of Batman’s noir roots, while diving deeper into the psychology of these iconic characters. We cannot wait to share this new world.”
Tom Ascheim said: “It is always fun to feed the insatiable appetite fans have for all things Batman. Batman: Caped Crusader will entertain first time and die-hard fans alike and, with such an impressive creative team in place, we know we have another future Batman classic in the making.”

Full press release available at The World's Finest.

Stay tuned for further updates!

Frontier

Staff member
So we're not getting a B:TAS revival but we're basically getting Bruce Timm working on a new Batman cartoon in the spirit of B:TAS :p.

(In before the "not another Batman cartoon" complaints)

Considering Reeves is involved, I wonder if the character portrayals will try to match his film in the same way B:TAS did? Maybe not overtly, but I guess Catwoman and Jim Gordon could still be black and we could see certain characterization points mirrored in this show :).

Batman's design definitely looks more Golden Age, kind of like that Strange Days short...I wonder if that will reflect in other designs :cool:.?

I'm curious exactly what kind of tone they'll strike for this show since they're diving into Batman's noir roots but will it be appropriate for all ages or is it intended for older fans? Or will it just run the gamut like B:TAS did ;)?

powerjake

Banned
So is this a real DC comics action cartoon for kids and not like the comedies Teen Titans Go, DC Superhero Girls and Aquaman: King of Atlantis. Will this new Batman animated series be a hit for ratings and toy sales?.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
The article says this series will be made by both Cartoon Network and HBO Max, but considering the credentials of the creators here, I assume this will be a fairly serious series (to contrast with Batwheels being for preschoolers and thus more lighthearted) . It's kind of interesting given how the last mostly serious DC cartoon to come out on Cartoon Network was Green Lantern The Animated Series.

Frontier

Staff member
The article says this series will be made by both Cartoon Network and HBO Max, but considering the credentials of the creators here, I assume this will be a fairly serious series (to contrast with Batwheels being for preschoolers and thus more lighthearted) . It's kind of interesting given how the last mostly serious DC cartoon to come out on Cartoon Network was Green Lantern The Animated Series.
I'm fine with it being serious although I wonder if it'll still be relatively age appropriate for kids.

Ed Nygma

Kind of unclear what this is going to be, although it seems to be in b.t.'s art style but NOT in the DCAU... this will confuse people. I would honestly rather see Radomski and Dini back. Although Timm is better than some people, it's just kind of a random pairing. Hell, I'd even prefer Slott and Templeton finishing their run in animated series!

powerjake

Banned
Did they even confirm Batman: Caped Crusader is even an action show, or is it another Thundercats Roar artstyle looking show like Aquaman King of Atlantis being a flatout comedy?.

CyberCubed

So the rumors of B:TAS getting a revival were wrong then, Kevin Smith mixed up Bruce Timm working on a Batman cartoon with the old DCAU being revived.

Oh well. And with Bruce Timm working on this it's pretty obvious then B:TAS isn't coming back. I don't know how to feel about it, as I would have liked to see a B:TAS revival but I fear they would have "messed things up" so to speak. And yeah I don't count any of the comics so eh.

R.I.P. DCAU.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
The preview image looks pretty serious to me. I don't really expect this to be an all-out comedy but we'll see. Speaking of which, the art-style looks good based on this still image and I imagine it will look better in motion.

Nice to finally have this announced. The crew behind the project is pretty solid, though I have to admit out of the three I am mostly familiar with Bruce Timm's works. :p

Looking forward to more updates. I'm fine with this being a new, separate continuity outside the DCAU.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Do you know what especially sucks? @b.t. has probably been furious that he hasn't been allowed to correct Smith's idiocy and finds my disappointed reaction annoying. I don't like the idea of me failing b.t..

I'm sorry, b.t. for being such a sourpuss, but I take comfort in the fact that knowing me, you probably already guessed that would be my reaction.

Otaku-sempai

Did they even confirm Batman: Caped Crusader is even an action show, or is it another Thundercats Roar artstyle looking show like Aquaman King of Atlantis being a flatout comedy?.
I'm definitely getting an action/mystery vibe so far, be we will see.

I suspect Catwoman will be black in this since she's black in the new Matt Reeves reboot.
As long as she's still Selina Kyle and not Catwoman-In-Name-Only.

powerjake

Banned
I'm definitely getting an action/mystery vibe so far, be we will see.

As long as she's still Selina Kyle and not Catwoman-In-Name-Only.

Well, it better not be a scam. When Aquaman: King of Atlantis first was announced warner bros made it sound like it would be action packed mini series but than they revealed its first picture and its a flatout comedy done in a Thundercats Roar style. That better not happen with Caped Crusader.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Well, it better not be a scam. When Aquaman: King of Atlantis first was announced warner bros made it sound like it would be action packed mini series but than they revealed its first picture and its a flatout comedy done in a Thundercats Roar style. That better not happen with Caped Crusader.
Read. The. ARTICLE.

Heeroyuy_Batman

I am really excited for this series. This seems like it is almost a reboot of Batman: The Animated Series made along the lines of the Batman: Strange Days short which is quite interesting. I could easily imagine this as a part of the DCAU's multiverse. I'm also intrigued by the possibilities of incorporating elements like the Court of Owls and portions of Gotham's history into the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Today I found out there is a new PBS Retro FAST channel available on The Roku Channel. I also learned that I can access it when I thought I wouldn't be able to. PBS Retro has a lot of great shows I never thought I'd see again. Awesome!
It looks like Bob Backish may be out as CEO of Paramount. Can David Zaslav be next? Please?
nick.com has banner (since past few weeks) has KCA 2024 on July 13 at 8pm. But no further news, nor any promos for it yet.

I thought Nick would get new promos for other shows or new episodes, but still NOTHING.
Why is it automatically assumed that if a person were to suddenly gain super powers they'll put on tights and either immediately decide to save the world or conquer/destroy it?
the sports junkie in me really loves playing Sports Reference's Immaculate Grid games. nice way to start off each morning.

Featured Posts