International Disney Networks Thread Part 10

RegularCapital

Staff member
Update: The Disney Café is now a Disney Café Stitch Surf Shack.
IMG_20240428_134845306.jpg

MagiaDiWinx

I know they don’t do this anymore but what's up with randomly listing other shows at completely different times on ads?

PerkyStella

I know they don’t do this anymore but what's up with randomly listing other shows at completely different times on ads?
Oh, no. The Corus-owned Canadian Disney Channels still have this practice, even on the company's other kids' channels such as YTV.

maxxiekuppie-2024-03-18-06h25m18s861.png

My guess is because they wanted to promote some of the older Canadian-produced shows in the schedule, but decided to do so in tiny blurbs for promos of recent series. Canadian kids' TV is truly weird.

Last edited:

Francisque

Maybe tight Canadian regulations?

These are beyond ridiculous, not even France has them, and do not stop US imports from coming to the country anyway

MagiaDiWinx

Maybe tight Canadian regulations?

These are beyond ridiculous, not even France has them, and do not stop US imports from coming to the country anyway
Yeah, but doesn't France also have a law requiring French-produced content? This deteriorated DC France hugely. The European ones around 2006 began being flooded with random acquired European shows for regulatory purposes and France and Spain (with the additional reason of being terrestrial, though I think this was already an issue before July 2008) got it worst.

PerkyStella

Yeah, but doesn't France also have a law requiring French-produced content?
I don't think so.
The European [Disney Channels] around 2006 began being flooded with random acquired European shows for regulatory purposes and France and Spain (with the additional reason of being terrestrial, though I think this was already an issue before July 2008) got it worst.

European countries don't even have anything similar to Canadian content laws for pay-TV channels, so this is most likely not the reason why DC Europe had random imports around that time.

Francisque

There is a French production quota for all the French licensed channels, actually: not sure how much
Some kind of circumvent that by broadcasting with a foreign (EU) license, thanks to EU agreements

But not EXCESSIVE restrictions in terms of channel ownership, although there are some if you want your channel on digital terrestrial (TNT), which is why tightly regulated TNT has no foreign operation.

Both France and Canada appear too restrictive to me, something in-between is much more desirable
Especially as one can hardly compete with American big's ownerships and productions, which are still are present on French TV

Maybe something like the UK

I don't think so.

European countries don't even have anything similar to Canadian content laws for pay-TV channels, so this is most likely not the reason why DC Europe had random imports around that time.
Wrong

There's actually a European quota too, for all the channels
Although vaguely implemented often

Some countries are more restrictive than others, which is why European TV shows are shown at late night on many channels, and so on

Yeah, but doesn't France also have a law requiring French-produced content? This deteriorated DC France hugely. The European ones around 2006 began being flooded with random acquired European shows for regulatory purposes and France and Spain (with the additional reason of being terrestrial, though I think this was already an issue before July 2008) got it worst.
It got so bad in the early 2000s they had been fined

At Summer DC France is particularly "infested" with European and French TV shows, or it used to be the case

Last edited:

MagiaDiWinx

I wonder why DC Brazil had this dark watermark that was unreadable on light backgrounds, while Hispanic America had it normal. And both had this awful levitating thing but usually you wouldn’t see it due to overscan so it’s not that bad.

Francisque

Poor planning

The DC US DOG was quite bad in 2003-6 too, with overscan on DC US, you could only see the upper part of the logo

Then they fixed it, but EMEA feeds had the best ideas from the start (bar DC France, Spain and Portugal, obviously); plus, it may be me, but it made more sense as the likes of DC UK and Scandi did to have a grey translucent background INSIDE of the silhouette logo, to make it more visible

MagiaDiWinx

Poor planning

The DC US DOG was quite bad in 2003-6 too, with overscan on DC US, you could only see the upper part of the logo

Then they fixed it, but EMEA feeds had the best ideas from the start (bar DC France, Spain and Portugal, obviously); plus, it may be me, but it made more sense as the likes of DC UK and Scandi did to have a grey translucent background INSIDE of the silhouette logo, to make it more visible
No idea about the black watermark from Brazil but the levitating part was def to copy the US without having their issues re overscan…but then creating a new issue for when you watch it without overscan.

Idk what was up with Portugal but they had this very very light grey interior that didn’t disappear on black (can’t describe it) and had no text on it.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
freesat and skylink have this month the channel fta

MagiaDiWinx

Interesting that DC Japan follows the US style of having many ad breaks during a show. Yes I recorded this myself.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I REALLY HOPE Adult Swim puts an episode of American Dad before Sailor Moon on Toonami Rewind, CN's shows are NOT CAPABLE giving ratings by their sheer popularity.

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.

Featured Posts