"Marvel Studios' Fantastic Four" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Well if this FF movie is the next film after Guardians 3, and Guardians 3 is going to start filming sometime in later fall then wouldn't FF start filming like early 2022 then? I imagine that soon means it will probably be a few months when there's a big event where the announcement can be made but it won't be something likely blabbed until Eternals comes out.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well if this FF movie is the next film after Guardians 3, and Guardians 3 is going to start filming sometime in later fall then wouldn't FF start filming like early 2022 then? I imagine that soon means it will probably be a few months when there's a big event where the announcement can be made but it won't be something likely blabbed until Eternals comes out.
Not to sure FF is the next one after Vol 3. We know they only starting meeting with writers this February and there was no script at all. I think it's more likely the next movie will be Blade or even Cap 4.

the greenman

I'm waiting on "Secret Invasion", because that and "The Marvels" will probably involve aliens very pertinent to the FF. That is unless Feige goes completely off script and do something new and edgy.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Casting rumor: "They are looking to specifically cast people of color. They also want this new team to be younger, aged 20s-30s. They plan to keep Sue and Johnny as actual siblings this time in the same race, but they are open to mixing all races in casting this family. For example, Human Torch and Invisible Woman could be Latinos, allowing Mr. Fantastic to be Black or Asian. They are still very open."

Frontier

Staff member
Casting rumor: "They are looking to specifically cast people of color. They also want this new team to be younger, aged 20s-30s. They plan to keep Sue and Johnny as actual siblings this time in the same race, but they are open to mixing all races in casting this family. For example, Human Torch and Invisible Woman could be Latinos, allowing Mr. Fantastic to be Black or Asian. They are still very open."
Well, I know there are those who probably think we can't have a team of four white people in 2021. I don't really care, but it is what it is, although I'd prefer Johnny and Sue still be blonde and Reed to have his white streaks. Of course they're going for younger, which kind of surprises me, but I guess that's with the intention that they'll be around for the long-haul :confused:.

As far as Ben...I dunno, he's going to end up being an orange rock man so I don't think it matters, but he's the only one they don't bring up :sweat:.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
The only older Asian actor I can think of when casting Reed would be John Cho.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, I know there are those who probably think we can't have a team of four white people in 2021.
Ant-Man movies seem to be fine with that when it comes to who the Ant-Mans and Wasps are.

I don't really care, but it is what it is, although I'd prefer Johnny and Sue still be blonde and Reed to have his white streaks. Of course they're going for younger, which kind of surprises me, but I guess that's with the intention that they'll be around for the long-haul :confused:.

As far as Ben...I dunno, he's going to end up being an orange rock man so I don't think it matters, but he's the only one they don't bring up :sweat:.
And Ben's voice kinda matters to me, too.

The only older Asian actor I can think of when casting Reed would be John Cho.
Only because the Snake Eyes trailer is out, Henry Golding came to mind.

the greenman

Begin rant I mean, I'm going to be succinct and respectful as can be and then drop it. How far do we want to go with the race-changing? Are we doing Asians (not saying that we are, I know that) because they are deemed smart or because they are (as of late) being racially vilified? Are we unfairly choosing one race over another. See, my argument is following the source material protects one from issues that come up like this.

If they really felt so bad about diversity they would've made Black Panther an Avenger way earlier. If changing race was so important to the industry and society at large, why didn't they do that with the Avengers which made billions of dollars. If it ain't broke. . . . End rant

I did express my feelings about the issue of race altering in this earlier, I really feel this could be a mistake on Marvel. Though it's their lesson to learn. People don't like to be preached to especially through stuff like this. I have friend who's white, didn't like they changed Magnum P.I. Argued he didn't even realize it was supposed to be the same show Didn't watch it.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

reflection01

You need to read about how Ike Permutter held up production of Black Panther for several years based on racist myths that people don’t go to movies with predominantly Black casts.

Disney had to restructure the enter Marvel corporation around him to stop him from blocking this and future movies.

Staying true source material written in 1961 in 2021 just doesn’t make sense especially for a family. Interracial marriage was illegal so of course Sue and Reed were both white.

Why would you want to tell stories in the 2020s based on the rules and norms of the 1960s? It only makes sense if your goal was to keep 60 years of progress out of these prominent stories as a way to reverse that progress in society.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I can see what greenman says. It's not like they cast Tony Stark as an Asian actor in 2008-09. They used RDJ. Whether there was open casting and/or Perlmuttler meddled, shrug.

I don't know much about the origins of the Fantastic Four but did at least the writers always envision them as white or was race not even a focal point? Or did they say the social norms at the time tied their hands?

Frontier

Staff member
Ant-Man movies seem to be fine with that when it comes to who the Ant-Mans and Wasps are.
It's also kind of funny to me when FF comics were where Black Panther was first introduced :p.
And Ben's voice kinda matters to me, too.
This is why Chiklis was such a great Ben. He had the voice down to pat :).
Staying true source material written in 1961 in 2021 just doesn’t make sense especially for a family. Interracial marriage was illegal so of course Sue and Reed were both white.

Why would you want to tell stories in the 2020s based on the rules and norms of the 1960s? It only makes sense if your goal was to keep 60 years of progress out of these prominent stories as a way to reverse that progress in society.

I don't know if it's a matter of sense so much as creative choice. Reed and Sue need to be Reed and Sue at the end of the day.

reflection01

Who are Reed and Sue? Is their racial identity at the core of who they are? If so, why? And because they’ve always been white isn’t a good reason.

Dr. Doom is a ruler of a small European country. So yes, he should be white.

Tony Stark is an American genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist. Yeah. That kind of person in this day and age is probably white.

T’Challa is a ruler of a small African country. He needs to be Black.

With all the success of the MCU, the casting is probably their biggest success. Seems silly to question their ability to find great talent just for a preference to keep characters white.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Who are Reed and Sue? Is their racial identity at the core of who they are? If so, why? And because they’ve always been white isn’t a good reason.

Tony Stark is an American genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist. Yeah. That kind of person in this day and age is probably white.

With all the success of the MCU, the casting is probably their biggest success. Seems silly to question their ability to find great talent just for a preference to keep characters white.

Great and insightful post. What you are saying is that things like this need to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Some characters' races can be changed and some cannot. The trick is understanding which ones can. And casting great actors either way.

Frontier

Staff member

That's why I said at the end of the day that what's important is Reed and Sue remain Reed and Sue regardless of who they cast, although that, personally, I don't think it's a big deal if they cast them as white and try to retain their comic looks because that's how I visualize those characters.

Freddy

I could see an argument be made in favor of casting a Romani actor as Doom, considering his mother.

Frontier

Staff member

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Here's an Intel Pentium MMX commercial featuring the voice of Casey Kasem, along with a certain disco hit song:

Boomerang might as well join Nicktoons and TeenNick now.

Featured Posts