"Max (Warner Bros. Discovery Streaming Service)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
From the front page of Anime Superhero.com.

"Max Renews Streaming Deal With Studio Ghibli"​

4hkovdua.jpg

"With all the self-destructive activities Warner Bros Discovery has been up to these past few months, we never expected to hear this, but it’s true: the company has announced a renewal of its streaming exclusivity deal with Studio Ghibli.

This deal was made back in 2020, when what was then called HBO Max was advertised as a classy new entry to the streaming wars that would expand the HBO brand to encompass a variety of genres held to their traditional standard of quality. Then AT&T ran up a huge bill, left, and gave everything to a reality schlock king, who lopped the more recognizable of the brand’s two words off so he could fill it with his signature drivel."

Read the full article here.

Any comments on this announcement?

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter

4hkovdua.jpg

"With all the self-destructive activities Warner Bros Discovery has been up to these past few months, we never expected to hear this, but it’s true: the company has announced a renewal of its streaming exclusivity deal with Studio Ghibli.

This deal was made back in 2020, when what was then called HBO Max was advertised as a classy new entry to the streaming wars that would expand the HBO brand to encompass a variety of genres held to their traditional standard of quality. Then AT&T ran up a huge bill, left, and gave everything to a reality schlock king, who lopped the more recognizable of the brand’s two words off so he could fill it with his signature drivel."

That's good news, would have been interesting to see who else would have bid (maybe Netflix since they have international rights) but glad the the owners of TLC saw value in keeping the rights.

Moe

4hkovdua.jpg

I'm surprised to see because I thought WBD wouldn't renew to save money.

I own all Studio Ghibli films so I don't need Max to watch their films anyway.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Interesting article from Variety about the fate of season 3 of Euphoria and whether or not it will happen:
Honestly, I think it's time for the show to end after all because let's face it, the likes of Zendaya and Hunter Schafer are more likely going to focus on bigger projects during this time, so I'm doubtful on a possible third season.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
I don't know how many people on this forum watch Tokyo Vice but The Hollywood Reporter went behind-the-scenes on how they filmed a certain scene in season 2 and how they got permission that even Japanese tv shows don't get, very fascinating article:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I don't know how many people on this forum watch Tokyo Vice but The Hollywood Reporter went behind-the-scenes on how they filmed a certain scene in season 2 and how they got permission that even Japanese tv shows don't get, very fascinating article:
I might watch this show one day after reading the article.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

Corwin Haught

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Reportedly, Max will be raising the cost of its subscription yet again.

I'm not happy about this. I've already gone from paying $14 per month to $16 per month. Some of the shows that I watched on Max (Close Enough, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Uncle Grandpa) have been removed from the platform until ????, and now Max wants me to pay even more for my subscription?

No one is saying when this is supposed to happen or by how much the price will increase, but $20 per month is as high as I'm willing to go. Ideally, I'd like to keep Max since I no longer have DirecTV and Max is the only way that I can watch HBO now. However, if the cost of subscription gets too high, I'll just have to look for a less expensive option (and I mean a legal option! I don't advocate piracy!).

Last edited:

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi

I'm not happy about this. I've already gone from paying $14 per month to $16 per month. Some of the shows that I watched on Max (Close Enough, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Uncle Grandpa) have been removed from the platform until ????, and now Max wants me to pay even more for my subscription?

No one is saying when this is supposed to happen or by how much the price will increase, but $20 per month is as high as I'm willing to go. Ideally, I'd like to keep Max since I no longer have DirecTV and Max is the only way that I can watch HBO now. However, if the cost of subscription gets too high, I'll just have to look for a less expensive option.
Yeah, let’s jack up the prices with less content. That sounds smart! /s

It really makes you wonder why the streaming bubble has been bursting lately…

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I hope they don’t hike the price for the ad supported. Just started subscribing again and I’m disappointed that many shows I was looking forward to (like Dexter’s Lab, Kids Next Door, the final season of Clarence, and The Middle) are gone. I think I’m going to stick around until June when new episodes of Craig of the Creek come out and I’m dumping it after then. I honestly don’t mind many of the Discovery programming for background noise but not at the expense of Warner Bros content.

Moe

Price hike is unlikely to affect me because I got Max (ads free) included in entertainment bundle with Starz and Showtime on YouTube TV, so they tend to raise the price on base plan and leave entertainment bundle untouched.

the greenman

No one is saying when this is supposed to happen or by how much the price will increase, but $20 per month is as high as I'm willing to go. Ideally, I'd like to keep Max since I no longer have DirecTV and Max is the only way that I can watch HBO now. However, if the cost of subscription gets too high, I'll just have to look for a less expensive option (and I mean a legal option! I don't advocate piracy!).
I believe the strikes are responsible for the increase. The more the studios have to shell out on residuals, the more they have to charge us.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Here's adult animation category ballot for Emmy Awards 2024. I'm hoping that Praise Petey will get in the final line-up.

I don't know where to post this...
but Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is in development of Disney.

I guess Nick is officially done with this franchise for now.
Happy 20th Birthday to the Cartoon Network City Era!

Featured Posts