"Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV" Discussion Thread

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Alexa Nikolas just went live with some pretty damning claims about the Quiet on Set production, claiming that she was coerced and harassed into participating, only for them to cut out her entire interview and keep the "goo pop" bit. Strong language warning, though I recommend her entire channel for anyone who would like to dive deep into the circles of industry predatory behavior.

It makes me uncomfortable that Alexa Nikolas immediately reads out loud from the comments that the podcaster was talking about Jennette McCurdy, even though the podcaster did her best to not include Jennette's name. And then just after that Alexa gets a donation from a fan. This made me realize Alexa's YouTube channel is a rage channel.

I do wish Alexa Nikolas all the best. I hope the industry changes for good.

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
It makes me uncomfortable that Alexa Nikolas immediately reads out loud from the comments that the podcaster was talking about Jennette McCurdy, even though the podcaster did her best to not include Jennette's name. And then just after that Alexa gets a donation from a fan. This made me realize Alexa's YouTube channel is a rage channel.

I wouldn't call it a "rage channel" in the same sense as the outrage bait channels that are all over YouTube, as she has legitimate reasons to be angry, yet at the same time is sure to have periods without that anger/create a calm and welcoming space to survivors.

RegularCapital

Staff member
I've now watched all five parts, it was an interesting insight in the dark side of live-action kids television and Hollywood in general. The amount of manipulation and predatory behaviour is just a disgrace, it's a shame that this documentary was made now and not 10+ years ago. Nickelodeon gave people like Dan Schneider too much power, therefore things went unchecked or were just quickly glanced over by Nickelodeon execs.

Light Lucario

Staff member

Dan Schneider is suiing defamation Quiet on Set..
Maybe I'm just missing something from how the episodes were edited, but I don't think that the editing was trying to imply that he's a child sex abuser. I've seen other people come to that conclusion from their takes on the docuseries, but that isn't the same thing as the producers actively trying to spread lies like that.

Defamation cases are typically pretty difficult since it is hard to prove that there was a deliberate attempt to ruin his reputation. Posting an apology video, as bad as it was, might be also used against him. He still recognized that some of what they said about him was true, which could easily make it harder to prove that there was defamation involved. Dan Schneider's reputation was already pretty bad before this docuseries started too. As far as I know, he hasn't gotten any work in the entertainment industry since he split ways with Nickelodeon, which could imply that his reputation was bad enough to where he couldn't get work. There have been claims and rumors about him for years, especially with other actors like Jennette McCurddy speaking out.

He sadly might be right that the docuseries was done to get some money and attention on Max. I still hope that it will lead to some good much needed changes in the industry, but given how they treated some of the actors, including some of the victims, I wouldn't be too surprised if that was their ultimate goal. Even if that was the case, I don't think it would have really ruined Dan Schenider's reputation, but rather made some of those rumors and accusations clearer for the general public to hear.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Maybe I'm just missing something from how the episodes were edited, but I don't think that the editing was trying to imply that he's a child sex abuser. I've seen other people come to that conclusion from their takes on the docuseries, but that isn't the same thing as the producers actively trying to spread lies like that.

Defamation cases are typically pretty difficult since it is hard to prove that there was a deliberate attempt to ruin his reputation. Posting an apology video, as bad as it was, might be also used against him. He still recognized that some of what they said about him was true, which could easily make it harder to prove that there was defamation involved. Dan Schneider's reputation was already pretty bad before this docuseries started too. As far as I know, he hasn't gotten any work in the entertainment industry since he split ways with Nickelodeon, which could imply that his reputation was bad enough to where he couldn't get work. There have been claims and rumors about him for years, especially with other actors like Jennette McCurddy speaking out.

He sadly might be right that the docuseries was done to get some money and attention on Max. I still hope that it will lead to some good much needed changes in the industry, but given how they treated some of the actors, including some of the victims, I wouldn't be too surprised if that was their ultimate goal. Even if that was the case, I don't think it would have really ruined Dan Schenider's reputation, but rather made some of those rumors and accusations clearer for the general public to hear.
He has a sick sense of humor that's inappropriate for kids/teens content and was a bad boss but I agree, I didn't get the feel from the doc that he's in the same category as, say, Harvey Weinstein. Now some of his busted employees, OTOH...

Pahiy

And for those wanting to get around the paywall Business Insider has, I am sharing the article archived from archive.today to get around the paywall and a Variety article for those not wanting to use the former.

Also, this paragraph was buried in the Business Insider article backing the claim made by a former actor and writer of Dan's shows following the premiere of Quiet on Set about him owning a gun and has me wondering why Dan would take a gun to his mechanic and having Lori Beth hide it from a police officer?
Once, Denberg said, Schneider asked her to accompany him to visit his auto repairman. According to Denberg, Schneider had a gun on him. When a police officer pulled over Schneider because of an issue with his car's tags, Schneider pushed his gun to Denberg, she said. She hid the gun under her skirt as Schneider chatted with the officer, who recognized him from his role on the sitcom "Head of the Class." Schneider, she said, then asked the officer if he had any children who watched Nickelodeon and might recognize Denberg.
No further comment besides her describing Dan’s disgusting behavior towards her over 25 years ago, and it may be a pipe dream like several on the interwebs, with the hope there is at least a credible investigation for child abuse even though Lori Beth was already an adult by the time the events described took place. Lori Beth was one of my favorite All That cast members when I was a kid; I am proud of her for standing up for herself and risking her career trying to protect Amanda Bynes when she knew something wasn't quite right while she visiting Amanda at The Amanda Show.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.

Lori Beth Denberg is finally speaking out against Dan Schneider.
God, that was so unfortunate. I feel bad for Lori Beth Denburg.

You know what really pisses me off? Lori Beth mention that she told Brian Robbins about the concerns for Amanda Bynes. Robbins knew Dan's behavior, yet he choose to do nothing about it.

Guess what happened to Robbins? Still at the top at Paramount Global.

Welcome to Hollywierd! :mad:

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Victoria Justice comments about Dan Schneider.

Interesting.

I can understand from Victoria's perspective. On one hand, she did not condone Dan's degenerate antics. On the other hand, he did give Victoria a lot of opportunities when she was working on Nick, and she became recognizable star ever since, so yeah.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
I liked Dan Schneider’s shows when I was a kid and thought they were funny at the time, but after seeing the documentary I further regret supporting them, though I already lost interest after Victorious and moved on to Regular Show as my go-to comedy, and I completely passed on Henry Danger and Game Shakers.

kanc

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts