Voice actors you hear less often now?

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Who are some voice actors you hear less often now? I feel like Kath Soucie seems to get less roles nowadays, she used to be everywhere in the 90s. Her last ongoing role was in that Rugrats reboot that was vaporized by Paramount.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Cree Summer for me. She used to be everywhere back in 90s and the 2000's, but now? Not much. Besides voicing Susie in the Rugrats reboot, and Elmyra Duff in Tiny Toons Looniversity recently, I haven't heard anything from her since then.

Same thing could also said for Grey DeLisle Griffin. I would say Tara Strong, but not really since she still have some major roles. When it comes to Grey, back in 2000's, she was poppin' left and right in various Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network roles. She was BIG back in the day. Now? Besides Lola and Lana and Lily Loud from The Loud House franchise, I haven't hear anything from her since then. I could be wrong, but Griffin wasn't as big as used to back in the 2000's.

Last edited:

Shiloh Otter

celebrating Doremi!
Cree and Grey are both still super active. Grey has received her music career though and has been promoting it heavily as of late.

As for Tara Strong, the less said about her, the better. She's actually gotten some roles cancelled due to her Twitter outbursts in recent times.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Cree and Grey are both still super active. Grey has received her music career though and has been promoting it heavily as of late.
Oh okay. I never knew that.
As for Tara Strong, the less said about her, the better. She's actually gotten some roles cancelled due to her Twitter outbursts in recent times.
Yeah, I really don't want to get into that...

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Cree Summer for me. She used to be everywhere back in 90s and the 2000's, but now? Not much. Besides voicing Susie in the Rugrats reboot, and Elmyra Duff in Tiny Toons Looniversity recently, I haven't heard anything from her since then.

Same thing could also said for Grey DeLisle Griffin. I would say Tara Strong, but not really since she still have some major roles. When it comes to Grey, back in 2000's, she was poppin' left and right in various Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network roles. She was BIG back in the day. Now? Besides Lola and Lana and Lily Loud from The Loud House franchise, I haven't hear anything from her since then. I could be wrong, but Griffin wasn't as big as used to back in the 2000's.

To be fair, I think Grey Delisle Griffin is voicing half the female characters in Invincible, I do think she is still pretty active.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
You know the reruns of Cow and Chicken on CN's Checkered Past reminded me how much Charlie Adler was around who I feel like as a kid was one of the first VAs I really picked up on having a distinct voice that though versatile you could always sort of tell it was him. Rocko's Modern Life, Sonic SatAM, Aaaah real Monsters, Swat Kats etc. The guy got around and got a lot of roles... but that well has dried up especially in the last like 5 years when he's become more of a voice director behind the scenes instead of an actor you really hear. Like last series I really saw with him was Harley Quinn in one episode and sans being a director also felt like that was a callback for when Kaley Cuoco was just starting out as a VA and costarred with Adler in Brandy and Mr. Whiskers but as her star has risen his has fallen out. Granted I wasn't always that big a fan of his and yeah guy is like in his late 60's and had the kind of big voice that couldn't go on forever but it still is a bit sad.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Alison Viktorin used to have a ton of dubbing roles at FUNimation... then... well, I won't elaborate why we don't hear her anymore because it would break the no politics rule but yeesh. You can look it up if you're curious.

A shame too, 'cause I always enjoyed her character voices, especially Kuroko Shirai.

Pahiy

I can think of three voice actors we haven't heard from in a while at the tip of my tongue.

Seeing Sam McMurray as a guest star in a Season 2 episode of Breaking Bad as part of a rewatch I am doing that I saw tonight led me to wonder whatever happened to his voice roles. I believe one of the last times I heard him do a voiceover in a cartoon was probably in The Wedding Frame or another episode of As Told By Ginger as Courtney Gripling's dad. Since then, it has mainly been live action roles and at least two animated roles in the 2010s.

Jerry Houser was pretty much active in the voiceover business in the 90s with his role as the grown Bamm Bamm Rubble in The Flinstones reunion movies (including the follow up Christmas special) from 1993 right up to the 2000s as Principal Milty on As Told By Ginger; the only thing he has done was a live action appearance in 2019 for the extra footage episode of HGTV's A Very Brady Renovation.

Gail Matthius was one of those voice actresses you heard in the 90s on both Tiny Toon Adventures and Bobby's World and disappeared following a role as a cop in the animated Christmas special Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer in 2000.

Shiloh Otter

celebrating Doremi!
Michael Bell was everywhere in the '70s, '80s, and '90s, but he hardly does voice over work anymore. The last time I heard him was as General Dodonna on Star Wars Rebels. I can only assume age and/or illness.
He's had a few credits since then, though his most recent ones were in 2022.

He is 85 now, so slowing down is understandable.

Tommypezmaster

I always wonder what happened to Kerry Williams from various 4kids Entertaiment projects. She use to be everywhere in 4Kids' hayday but after around 2006, she dissapeared from the voice-over circuit. I would love to know what happen to her since then

ThePharaohZ

Tress MacNille was ubiquitous in the 90s. I'd say she's up there with Kath Soucie as voice actors who defined a decade, but I haven't heard anything recent from her (was she in the Animaniacs reboot?).

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I'd say Frank Welker would qualify given how, outside of anything related to Scooby Doo and Curious George, be hasn't been doing much voice work.

Low Spark of Lyman

What a night! I had to do six encores at the club.
Welker is still voicing Garfield via the Nickelodeon crossover games, as well as occasionally voicing Transformers characters (including Megatron and Soundwave).

I'll add married VAs Hal Rayle and Maggie Roswell. Although they're still active from their close-to-home studio, they don't seem to be doing animated series/movies as much nowadays (other than Roswell on The Simpsons).

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
I was going to say Corey Burton and Bumper Robinson, but then I looked on IMDB and Wikipedia, and nope they're still working.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

They should file a lawsuit against MeTV Toons for stealing the classic cartoons away from Boomerang. Boomerang found the classic cartoons first.
Shiloh Otter wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
I will miss your use of Mouse as your pfp, but since your name is LinusFan303, having Linus as your pfp only makes sense.
I haven't seen a channel launch as promising as MeTV Toons since The Hub. Let's hope their similarities don't extend to fate.
Happy 8th Anniversary to the Loud House! I still enjoy the show, mostly.
I don't care what anyone says, The Super Friends version of the origin of Batman was pretty effective for 1980s Saturday morning TV. Plus, Alfred telling young Bruce Wayne it's time to go when visiting his parents' graves just tugs at the heartstrings.

Featured Posts