Voice actors you hear less often now?

Stumpos

Frank Welker has been doing less original voice roles these days, generally only doing voicework for Warner Bros (usually as Scooby and Fred in various Scooby Doo projects and returning as Ralph on the Animaniacs reboot) and Curious George (though that ended in 2022). Even his role as "guy who does the animal noises" has now been supplanted by younger voice actors Dee Bradley Baker and Fred Tatasciore.

Stumpos

She is also still voicing Daisy Duck as well.
And she's still doing Chip as well only exceptions being on Mickey Mouse Funhouse, the recent Rescue Rangers movie, and the Disney Junior Mickey Mouse stuff due to being too busy with other projects.

I'd also say Rob Paulsen's voice roles are slowing down recently too. He was everywhere during the 1990s and 2000s, but he has been slowing down in voice roles recently with his only significant voice roles in the 2020s so far being reprising his older characters like Yakko, Pinky, and Dr. Scratchansniff on Animanaics 2020 and Raphael in some Nickelodeon crossover video games.

Billy West also slowed down for a while around the mid-2010s where he doesn't get quite as many major voice roles as he did in the 1990s. Most of his current voicework in the 2020s has been for revival content for Futurama and Ren & Stimpy, with Nick on Big City Greens as the only notable original character he voiced in the 2020s.

Dan Castalenetta's voice acting career slowed down after being notable in the 1990s and early 2000s, only doing voicework for The Simpsons these days with reprising Grandpa Phil in Hey Arnold the Jungle Movie being his only non-Simpsons project after 2008.

Nancy Cartwright's slowed down after being a prominent voice actress in the 1980s and 1990s, generally only having The Simpsons for voicework nowadays. Her only post-2010 major role outside The Simpsons being returning as Chuckie on the Rugrats reboot.
Oh okay. That's true.
Grey's also been in a lot of recent Disney cartoons in various voice roles on The Owl House, The Ghost and Molly McGee, Pupstruction, and Hailey's On It. She's even set to be doing major roles in the Sandy Cheeks movie. She's also still doing Daphne in newer Scooby Doo projects (aside from Velma).

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
One VA that took me by surprise was Peter Cullen.

Around a decade ago, he was retired, save for continuing to voice Eeyore on Winnie the Pooh.

Imagine my total shock that he would return in the second season of Invincible. As soon as I'd heard his voice again after so many years, my initial reaction was, "What...The...HELL?!?"

Low Spark of Lyman

What a night! I had to do six encores at the club.
One VA that took me by surprise was Peter Cullen.

Around a decade ago, he was retired, save for continuing to voice Eeyore on Winnie the Pooh.

Imagine my total shock that he would return in the second season of Invincible. As soon as I'd heard his voice again after so many years, my initial reaction was, "What...The...HELL?!?"
He's been far more active as Optimus Prime than Eeyore in recent years, actually. Not surprisingly changing with the launch of Michael Bay's version of Transformers, IIRC.

According to IMDb, Cullen has voiced Eeyore as late as a 2017 episode of Doc McStuffins. His only non-Optimus roles since then have been in the aforementioned Invincible as well as Rise of the TMNT.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I'd also say Rob Paulsen's voice roles are slowing down recently too. He was everywhere during the 1990s and 2000s, but he has been slowing down in voice roles recently with his only significant voice roles in the 2020s so far being reprising his older characters like Yakko, Pinky, and Dr. Scratchansniff on Animanaics 2020 and Raphael in some Nickelodeon crossover video games.

He was also Lou Garou in the Dreamworks show Fright Krewe, but that's the only original project he was involved in this decade.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I feel like NYC voice actors who used to work for 4Kids and didn't go to LA, you hear less of nowadays. Mike Pollock is the exception. But you hear less of Dan Green, Wayne Grayson, Ted Lewis, etc now than in the past.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I feel like NYC voice actors who used to work for 4Kids and didn't go to LA, you hear less of nowadays. Mike Pollock is the exception. But you hear less of Dan Green, Wayne Grayson, Ted Lewis, etc now than in the past.
Dan Green has done some work for Pokemon fairly recently, although I think it has just been reprising his role as Mewtwo. From what I remember, he effectively had to retire after his wife tragically passed away from giving birth to their twin children. I think at least at one point he was doing audio books, but I don't know if he's still doing that now. I think he and Eric Stuart did a tease about reading the original seven volumes of the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga as Yugi and Kaiba respectively on Twitter awhile ago. That would obviously be unofficial work, but I remember hearing about it through the grapevine.

Eric Stuart apparently did a bit of voice acting for the Shaman King reboot, but he has been much more focused on his music career ever since 4Kids went under.

Shiloh Otter

Happy Mollibby month!
Dan Green has done some work for Pokemon fairly recently, although I think it has just been reprising his role as Mewtwo. From what I remember, he effectively had to retire after his wife tragically passed away from giving birth to their twin children. I think at least at one point he was doing audio books, but I don't know if he's still doing that now. I think he and Eric Stuart did a tease about reading the original seven volumes of the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga as Yugi and Kaiba respectively on Twitter awhile ago. That would obviously be unofficial work, but I remember hearing about it through the grapevine.

Eric Stuart apparently did a bit of voice acting for the Shaman King reboot, but he has been much more focused on his music career ever since 4Kids went under.
Correct about Eric.

Dan still takes roles here and there. I'm pretty sure, anyway. I did hear his voice on Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal, though it's obviously been a bit since that aired. He and Eric do a Yu-Gi-Oh podcast together, so he's at least still doing something.

Bluebaron

Correct about Eric.

Dan still takes roles here and there. I'm pretty sure, anyway. I did hear his voice on Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal, though it's obviously been a bit since that aired. He and Eric do a Yu-Gi-Oh podcast together, so he's at least still doing something.
Sadly there hasn't been a new episode in a while.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Correct about Eric.

I forgot that Dan Green voiced a one shot character in Zexal. That was over ten years ago at this point. Aside from reprising his role as Yugi in Duel Links and The Dark Side of Dimensions movie, I'm pretty sure that he hasn't done any new roles in the Yu-Gi-Oh! dubs. I haven't watched the dubs for the most recent series, but I haven't heard about any 4Kids voice actors showing up for quite some time in those. I forgot about his podcast with Eric Stuart. That's pretty cool.

DocForbin

One person I know who hasn't done as much voice acting these days is Teryl Rothery, who is best known for doing the voice of A-Ko Magami in the Project A-Ko movies from Plot of the Daitokuji Financial Group onward. She more or less stopped doing it after her character of Dr. Janet Frasier on Stargate SG-1 became popular. These days she's mainly in those Hallmark Channel movies but her most recent voice acting role was the voice of Amanda in the Netflix animated series Chip and Potato.

Vuxovich

Currently, the NYC's 4Kids voice talent pool dubs most of the European cartoons (particularly the Italian ones) instead of Vancouver's the Ocean Group, Montreal's Cinelume et alibi. It helps that the aforementioned voice talent pool actually survived because of Mike Pollock staying as Dr. Eggman and 4Kids winning the Yu-Gi-Oh! lawsuit. What do you think about my theory?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I don't know where to post this...
but Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is in development of Disney.

I guess Nick is officially done with this franchise for now.
Happy 20th Birthday to the Cartoon Network City Era!

Watching this clip from the Princess Power special "Princess Royal Wedding", where Queen Ryung & Queen Olivia get married, makes me glad that the show was picked up by a streaming service. If it was picked up by the Junior 3 (Disney Jr, Nick Jr , & PBS Kids), an episode like this either wouldn't be made or if it,would come when the show was went to a less available channel
Happy 20th anniversary to my favorite CN logo and CN City.
Today marks the 20th Year Anniversary of Cartoon Network's "City Era". This era ties with the "Powerhouse Era" as my favorite era through out the channel's history.

Featured Posts