What Should Disney Do with Their Television Animation?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
So essentially, a Disney Ducks adaptation in animation in the modern age of animation wouldn't really work all the way for you because of how current trends are and the possibility it'd be out of place compared to every animated show out there these days, making it so there can never be a truly legitimately good modern Disney Ducks modern animated adaptation?
They're not actually adapting the Ducks. They are creating some random obnoxious characters and SAYING they are the Ducks. They have yet to attempt to actually adapt the material in recent years. They're doing their own thing and slapping the Duck brand on it.

In fairness, as shaky as it was, DuckTales 1987 was more authentic to that. And 1987 was still shaky as hell.

Edit:

Also, I should note just because Disney Channel executives would never ALLOW a producer to adapt the Ducks properly with Donald and Scrooge in the starring roles, doesn't mean I don't think an adaptation is actually impossible. The Ducks are a wonderful premise kids would adore seeing in its full glory. And just because every other show is doing story arcs doesn't mean a good Duck adaptation HAS to do them to fit in. Breaking the mold a bit is selling point enough. The Ducks were kind of designed as an antidote to superhero comics and I would not mind Disney proving using the premise properly could not just create a great and faithful adaptation, but that kids would love it.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Stumpos said:
A show without arcs and character development would look out of place compared to other newer animated shows these days.

So DuckTales should have character arcs just because all of the other animated series are doing it? That just sounds like peer pressure. If all the other animated series jumped in front of a bus, should DuckTales do it too?

There's no "right way" to make a cartoon. Cartoonists typically make what they want to see and think is funny. If you don't like it, fine, but don't act like every cartoon needs to follow some arbitrary checklist of your personal desires. Sorry, but "every other show is doing it" isn't a good excuse at all.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
So DuckTales should have character arcs just because all of the other animated series are doing it? That just sounds like peer pressure. If all the other animated series jumped in front of a bus, should DuckTales do it too?

There's no "right way" to make a cartoon. Cartoonists typically make what they want to see and think is funny. If you don't like it, fine, but don't act like every cartoon needs to follow some arbitrary checklist of your personal desires. Sorry, but "every other show is doing it" isn't a good excuse at all.
It's not even so much peer pressure to me. It's just I think cartoons should be brave enough to have their own distinctive voice. The Duck Comics certainly did. The producers turning it into an inferior arc based show believe the premise is less special than it is. I don't agree. I also don't agree people who clearly don't like the Disney Ducks should ever have been put in charge of adapting them.

prpis

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs
I feel like this conversation should be moved to the Ducktales thread. Up to the mods ofc.

Edit: I would be up to answering those questions but I feel like they may be overdone for the subject and plus may not belong on this thread.

Last edited:

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I heard you guys talking about the Ducktales instead of the main topic at hand, so I might as well jump in.

I actually don't hate the Ducktales when I first saw it. I do like it at the time. I tried to watching the original 87' show, and I just couldn't get into it, and I thought the reboot much better.

It's been a while since I saw the rest of the show, but I thought it was enjoyable. However, compared to other Disney Channel shows like Gravity Falls, it wasn't that memorable nor was it all that great. I honestly prefer to watch this over the 2016 PPG reboot, especialy for someone like me who wasn't into Ducktales to begin with, but that's just me.

EDIT: Another point that I forgot to mention earlier is that Huey, Dewey and Louie should always work together. In DuckTales 2017, the writers were always splitting the Triplets up and having them go off on separate adventures when the 3 of them are supposed to be a TEAM! They contribute to what's in essence a single character: the 3 of them. Again, if the show's producers wanted individual characters for D 2017, then entirely new characters should have been created for those roles. I want to see Huey, Dewey and Louie be Huey, Dewey and Louie, Donald's mischievous nephews.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Huey, Dewey, and Louie going on their seperate adventures instead of being a team. That's like if Powerpuff Girls goes on their separate adventures. That's just weird to me.

I never said Louie should be nice; he and his brothers are little terrors, that's their collective character. I said that he should act like a KID. 2017 Ducktales Louie wasn't acting like a 10-year-old kid, he was acting like an improv character played by Bobby Moynihan, an adult actor-comedian. There's a difference.
Yeah, to this day, I'm not used to Huey, Dewey, and Louie's voices in the reboot.

I don't know, I'm not a television executive or a casting director. But it didn't felt well enough. The kids acted like mini adults with dialogue that never in a million years a kid would say, no matter how witty. They all were just so LOUD and annoying, sticks up their butts. Not to mention, mean spirited. Maybe I could blame more so the directors or the people who told them how to read their lines. They were all so obnoxious. Not everyone *looks at own avatar* but no one was safe. I guess I was already seeing them as having their quacky voices just like in their old series and in Once Upon a Christmas (there and the House of Mouse show was where I was first introduced to the triplets). They were fine. I get that because this is a fully realized show for the "modern age" they needed more marketing branding with more definable characters but GOD they were not relatable. I'm just venting now.

Wow. I shared the same sentiments with you about how I feel about Codename Kids Next Door lol

And besides, plenty of reboots add arcs and character development. My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, She Ra 2018, and Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated added story arcs and character development despite the originals of those shows never doing story arcs or character development.

A show without arcs and character development would look out of place compared to other newer animated shows these days.
So? Is that a bad thing to you? That's like saying Jellystone should add story arcs and character development just because other shows are doing it. That is such a cop-out argument. Not every show is gonna fit the same mold as you think it might should be. Let the creators create what they want to create. We may not agree, but at the end of the day, we have different opinions about entertainment, not real world issues.

Heck, it's not as though other shows don't do kids sounding older than they are supposed to be like in the 2017 Captain Underpants movie, Big City Greens, Milo Murphy's Law, Phineas and Ferb (later seasons), Muppet Babies 2018, and much more.
Just because other shows COULD do it that doesn't mean they SHOULD. It just depends on the execution. Hell, Dipper and Mabel Pines sound like adults rather than 12 year olds, yet people give them a pass because the writing and the characters are good.

At the end of the day, not every person is gonna like the Ducktales reboot, and that's okay. If you like it, great. Screw what everybody says. There's no need to go to this nonsensical debate that is not really worth debating about. Just respect their opinions and call it a day.

I'm sorry. I've been stressful all week so far. Seeing stuff like this has got me frustrated. Can I have one day of peace without somebody complaining about something? That'd be nice.

Stumpos

So? Is that a bad thing to you? That's like saying Jellystone should add story arcs and character development just because other shows are doing it. That is such a cop-out argument. Not every show is gonna fit the same mold as you think it might should be. Let the creators create what they want to create. We may not agree, but at the end of the day, we have different opinions about entertainment, not real world issues.

Just because other shows COULD do it that doesn't mean they SHOULD. It just depends on the execution. Hell, Dipper and Mabel Pines sound like adults rather than 12 year olds, yet people give them a pass because the writing and the characters are good.

At the end of the day, not every person is gonna like the Ducktales reboot, and that's okay. If you like it, great. Screw what everybody says. There's no need to go to this nonsensical debate that is not really worth debating about. Just respect their opinions and call it a day.

I'm sorry. I've been stressful all week so far. Seeing stuff like this has got me frustrated. Can I have one day of peace without somebody complaining about something? That'd be nice.
Yeah, that comment about arcs I made was uncalled for and I do apologize for coming off as too forceful with that comment. I guess I should have specified with "adventure shows" rather than "every show" in general. Still realize I went way over the top with what I said and I do apologize.

I also apologize for derailing things a bit with my comments. I guess I was just sorta curious on why a complaint would apply to one show, but not another.

I do realize that the very nature of DuckTales 2017 being a reboot means that there's always gonna be someone who doesn't always agree with the creative decisions made by the new creative teams. I know as well liked as they are, reboots like My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, TMNT 2012, Rise of the TMNT, She Ra 2018, and Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated will always have someone having issues with the creative decisions made in those shows since being based on a legacy IP does mean there's something to compare the current incarnation with and if it does a good job living up to the legacy. There is no such thing as a reboot that is flawless and 100% immune to criticism and will remain that way to the end of time.

Just wanna make one last comment to FoneBone. As much as you dislike the changes DuckTales 2017 made, the crew does not dislike the source material. Given they have gone on record in various social media posts and interviews stating how much they loved the source material when they were kids, I don't think they hated the source material. Sure you may not like the creative decisions they made, but it doesn't come from a place of hate. Like, why would they agree to run and be involved in the reboot if they hated the source material?

prpis

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs
I heard you guys talking about the Ducktales instead of the main topic at hand, so I might as well jump in.

I actually don't hate the Ducktales when I first saw it. I do like it at the time. I tried to watching the original 87' show, and I just couldn't get into it, and I thought the reboot much better.

It's been a while since I saw the rest of the show, but I thought it was enjoyable. However, compared to other Disney Channel shows like Gravity Falls, it wasn't that memorable nor was it all that great. I honestly prefer to watch this over the 2016 PPG reboot, especialy for someone like me who wasn't into Ducktales to begin with, but that's just me.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Huey, Dewey, and Louie going on their seperate adventures instead of being a team. That's like if Powerpuff Girls goes on their separate adventures. That's just weird to me.

Yeah, to this day, I'm not used to Huey, Dewey, and Louie's voices in the reboot.

Wow. I shared the same sentiments with you about how I feel about Codename Kids Next Door lol

It’s so funny you feel that way about KND. I adored that show as a kid and I think what worked for the show was that it was supposed to have this air of “kids acting like adults but really only pretending to be and really have no idea what they’re doing”. To me that adds to the charm. Also helps its an original show, not a reboot of a preexisting show with a cast of characters that have existed for over a half a century with their own histories.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Just wanna make one last comment to FoneBone. As much as you dislike the changes DuckTales 2017 made, the crew does not dislike the source material. Given they have gone on record in various social media posts and interviews stating how much they loved the source material when they were kids, I don't think they hated the source material. Sure you may not like the creative decisions they made, but it doesn't come from a place of hate. Like, why would they agree to run and be involved in the reboot if they hated the source material?
I don't believe them. If they did, they'd be respectful of it.

Edit:

Even if I believed them, they are apes reading philosophy. They can read it. They just don't understand it.

Last edited:

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
I don't believe them. If they did, they'd be respectful of it.

Edit:

Even if I believed them, they are apes reading philosophy. They can read it. They just don't understand it.
I'm thinking that the makers of DuckTales (2017) moreso wanted to make an Ultimate Universe-style reimagining of the Disney Afternoon than they wanted to make a faithful adaptation of the Disney Ducks Comics by Barks, Rosa, etc.

That's the disconnect, basically.

Last edited:

prpis

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs
I'm thinking that the makers of DuckTales (2017) moreso wanted to make an Ultimate Universe-style reimagining of the Disney Afternoom than they wanted to make a faithful adaptation of the Disney Ducks Comics by Barks, Rosa, etc.

That's the disconnect, basically.
100 percent agree. I would’ve been forgiving of it if they didn’t shove it down in their interviews all the time how much they were “faithful” to the comics. Make your show however you want but don’t go about falsely claiming stuff and then double downing on it. It just makes you look like a jerk.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Yeah, that comment about arcs I made was uncalled for and I do apologize for coming off as too forceful with that comment. I guess I should have specified with "adventure shows" rather than "every show" in general. Still realize I went way over the top with what I said and I do apologize.

I also apologize for derailing things a bit with my comments. I guess I was just sorta curious on why a complaint would apply to one show, but not another.
That's okay. I understand. :)

Like I said, it's a personal preference. Some people like the creative choices, others won't. That's just how it is. In my opinion, as someone who's not into Ducktales to begin with, I don't mind some of the changes in the reboot, for the most part.

It’s so funny you feel that way about KND. I adored that show as a kid and I think what worked for the show was that it was supposed to have this air of “kids acting like adults but really only pretending to be and really have no idea what they’re doing”. To me that adds to the charm. Also helps its an original show, not a reboot of a preexisting show with a cast of characters that have existed for over a half a century with their own histories.
Yeah, that's fair. That's fair. Apologies if the comparison was unfair. I'd say PPG 2016 is a much better comparison (then again, I guess that kinda irrelevant now that Craig McCracken is coming back to reboot the series again, but I digress.)

I thought your venting was funny because that's how I feel about KND. Hell, I made a snark commentary series on the show from beginning to end on the pictures thread, if you wanna go check it out. (Plug!) BTW, I don't hate KND; I love that show when I was a kid, too. I thought the show was okay, but I had major issues with it)

And yeah, that's a good point that at least KND was an original show, and not a reboot of a pre-existing IP like Ducktales was. If Ducktales was an original show that has nothing to do with the Disney Ducks characters, then people wouldn't hate on it as much. Because it was based off of a well-beloved IP, people have high expectations for it, and at the very least the people behind the show should respect the original source material, and not just pull a MLP FIM and Gravity Falls in Ducktales, and expect hardcore fans to eat it up.

Stumpos

And yeah, that's a good point that at least KND was an original show, and not a reboot of a pre-existing IP like Ducktales was. If Ducktales was an original show that has nothing to do with the Disney Ducks characters, then people wouldn't hate on it as much. Because it was based off of a well-beloved IP, people have high expectations for it, and at the very least the people behind the show should respect the original source material, and not just pull a MLP FIM and Gravity Falls in Ducktales, and expect hardcore fans to eat it up.
Eh, the people that full on see DuckTales 2017 as a bad show are more a small minority than the majority. And FYI, bringing up MLP FIM as an analogy of an original show having more advantage for different storytelling doesn't work since that actually is also based on an IP like DuckTales 2017 is.

prpis

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs
Thank you.
I want to steer back the topic. Schaff productions just released a video on the downsides of Disney plus and how it may be harming Disney's main branding, especially since the movies are now gearing themselves towards more marketable audiences (more broad), and releasing movies there before theaters (or just releasing half-baked shows there to use up people's subs). Like I said before, I do think Disney should invest more in their animation to premiere them on TV more - but would it actually help things? Maybe they should invest more in theatrical releases than on plus? Is Plus really harming things that bad? How can Disney fix things? (I don't know if it pertains to this discussion but I wanted to try and help ):sweat:

Stumpos

Would be nice to have some Disney Plus exclusive movies based on their TV shows. Who wouldn't want streaming movies based on DuckTales, Amphibia, Owl House, Wander Over Yonder, Ghost and Molly McGee, Kim Possible, American Dragon Jake Long, and Darkwing Duck.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Here's something that would be interesting. Have theatrical shorts based on Disney Television Animation shows. Like, I'd definitely be up for a Phineas And Ferb short or a Sofia The First short.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I am so confused about that Rescue Rangers movie. I have been waiting for a Rescue Rangers reboot since forever, but especially since 2017, because I personally do like the DuckTales reboot and would love it if the Rescue Rangers got their own. Instead we were given a mock movie? Huh?????

I would also love for Disney Television Animation to make more animated series starring an adult man or woman. The only ones we have had in the last 10 years (2014-2023) were Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure and Monsters At Work.

CNNickFan

Invader Zim
I'm not even too fond of Disney TVA these days. Not saying they should go back to their ways in the 80's and 90's, with 65-episode syndication packages and a crappy afternoon block, but the way they run things needs some serious reform. We're not in the 2010's anymore.

What is this thread even asking, anyway? There's nothing they can really do outside of what they're doing now, but of course, reform is needed.

Markus Nelis

I think their animation is in a more perfect position than it has ever been so far on Disney Channel. There are some issues still like overusing certain categories like songs too often but overall they have some of the best animation right now. Plus the great treatment they deserve. DC finally respects cartoons with live-action becomjng secondary.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 80th birthday to George Lucas. The Star Wars Franchise has been one of my favorites since childhood.
There were apparently whispers at Universal of a Jaws remake a few years ago.
Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Featured Posts