Wish (WDAS 2023 Movie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
We were at Walmart this weekend and there were tons of Wish merch. I even saw a billboard for Wish at an electric vehicle charging station; Disney clearly has a lot riding on this movie. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Wish float at this year's Thanksgiving Day parade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moe

I don't know about fate of Wish after film releases and hopefully it don't turn out to be a bad with box office, and if they do, so Disney can recover the loss very much with home video sales since there are a lot of collectors are awaiting to buy Wish.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
I just deleted a bunch of posts in the thread and edited a couple due to the topic getting off topic and political, which is against our forum rules. Please ensure you are following the rules on this thread (or any thread). If we get off topic again, I will have to temporarily lock the thread.

But speaking of Wish, is anyone going to see it in theaters? I might because it's such a special film in Disney history!

harry580

@Moe sorry, I didn't meant to freak out, all I wanted is asking people to be nice to the film and not call it "not great as dreamworks the bad guys & puss n boots the last wish"

and on the topic of wish, yes, I will see it

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I say don't let some premature down-votes on Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic determine whether or not you're going to see Wish. Some people just like to hate and troll on stuff for various reasons. If everybody avoided a movie that some websites predicted beforehand was going to bomb, it would suddenly become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The people who are planning to go see this movie are going to go see it, the people aren't, won't. If your opinion on a film is so easily swayed by a swath of downvotes on RT before it even comes out, then you were never all that stoked to go see the film in the first place.

I'll say this: Disney was smart to release this movie during the kickoff of holiday season (specifically the day before Thanksgiving), when the kids are home from school. Apart from that and the studio's promotion of Wish, I'd say Disney's covered their bases this time. I can't predict the future, but I really don't see this movie tanking.

Last edited:

DeanBurrito25

But speaking of Wish, is anyone going to see it in theaters? I might because it's such a special film in Disney history!
I have the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off, so I hope to see it then!

Personally, I've avoided listening to any of the songs, save for "This Is The Thanks I Get" out of morbid curiosity. I'd very much rather see this for myself because some people online are actively rooting for this movie to fail...a lot of "animation fans" who have zero regard for the talents and efforts of the artists working on it. It's just sad.

prpis

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs
I have the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off, so I hope to see it then!

Personally, I've avoided listening to any of the songs, save for "This Is The Thanks I Get" out of morbid curiosity. I'd very much rather see this for myself because some people online are actively rooting for this movie to fail...a lot of "animation fans" who have zero regard for the talents and efforts of the artists working on it. It's just sad.
No disregard to the artists but I will say that there has been executive meddling seen lately in what Disney puts in their media. Disney has not had the best track record lately. I keep my expectations low in case it may surprise me. But the trailer and songs have not so much engaged me. I actually liked Strange World but I can see why it didn’t do well. Again I won’t judge Wish til I see it.

TsWade2

I say don't let some premature down-votes on Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic determine whether or not you're going to see Wish. Some people just like to hate and troll on stuff for various reasons. If everybody avoided a movie that some websites predicted beforehand was going to bomb, it would suddenly become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The people who are planning to go see this movie are going to go see it, the people aren't, won't. If your opinion on a film is so easily swayed by a swath of downvotes on RT before it even comes out, then you were never all that stoked to go see the film in the first place.

I'll say this: Disney was smart to release this movie during the kickoff of holiday season (specifically the day before Thanksgiving), when the kids are home from school. Apart from that and the studio's promotion of Wish, I'd say Disney's covered their bases this time. I can't predict the future, but I really don't see this movie tanking.
I totally agree. I’m planning to see it on December 2nd.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Dude, relax. It's been established that those sort of negative critical reviews aren't absolute proof that the movie is going to flop, and if now you're not going to see it just because of that Rotten Tomatoes score, then you're part of the problem, not the solution.

In any case, even if the movie fails, it's going to take more than one box office bomb to shut down the entire studio. Disney is a global conglomerate worth billions of dollars. That's billions, with a 'b'. Not trying to be mean, but just stop with this. You're freaking out over something that might not even happen! These overreactions aren't helping you or anyone else.

Last edited:

prpis

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs
I’m sorry. I don’t know what came over me.
It's ok, just remember to take deep breaths and take care of yourself when you feel upset.

I'll try to steer it back to the main topic. Hermmm, I've been hearing some mixed things about the main villain. I always try to give Disney villains a chance, but Magnifico sounds like a someone who wanted to do good, but only did it for the praise. It's like the narrative is trying not to make him into a sympathetic villain, based on the Disney trends we've been seeing for a while, and instead going back to "irredeemable villain" but idk.

All these "quirky one liners" are just not selling me for this character. "Look how modern we are!" is pretty much Disney's agenda since like....the late 00s early 10s and I'm tired of it. Either Disney needs to unironically embrace it's own branding or do something new. I personally am tired of shows and movies reading off of TV Tropes and CinemaSins on how to make their own content and media. Really tired of it. Marvel is also guilty of not taking itself too seriously, ergo the audience doesn't. It's sad.

Dr.Pepper

I’ll eat my hat if Wish bombs. It is getting tons of marketing. Sure the reviews aren’t too hot, but this is the kind of movie that’s critic proof. Just look at Elemental. Its early reviews were less than phenomenal, but it had legs in theaters. Families, kids, animation fans, and Disney fans turned out regardless.
I’m planning on going on Black Friday.

Ace

Ace
Disney movies aren't a shining beacon of critical acclaim. They've always been pretty hit and miss. Anti-Disney sentiment isn't really a new thing either.

Even looking at their past few films and even further than that they've had plenty of stinkers. Although not all of these movies despite being critically panned were financial flops.

Pixar carried their reputation after they acquired it in the late 2000s. I think people hold Pixar to a much higher standard when their movies are only okay and aren't great but the thing I'm saying is that they've had bad streaks before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 80th birthday to George Lucas. The Star Wars Franchise has been one of my favorites since childhood.
There were apparently whispers at Universal of a Jaws remake a few years ago.
Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Here's an Intel Pentium MMX commercial featuring the voice of Casey Kasem, along with a certain disco hit song:

Featured Posts