Wish (WDAS 2023 Movie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Just seen some sneak peeks of Disney's Wish at Manchester Animation Festival. With it being called Wish, the movie has the essence of every Disney movie before it, the art is well suited to its culture and environment and the music is good. I would like to see more. Hope this movie will put Disney back on the right track. Star is a cute character, they would be mad not to make plushies of it!

The producer Juan Pablo Reyes Lancaster Jones, was really nice and answered everyone's questions, also got this autograph. :)

The movie is under strict embargo so no photos were allowed, up to the extent where night-vision goggles were used in the cinema. But I did take a picture of the Q&A.

IMG_20231115_102258327_HDR.jpgIMG_20231115_114023988.jpgIMG_20231115_121410104.jpg

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper

Well, I’m pumped. So far, I love the songs. The only thing I’m not feeling is some of the humor coming from the goat. I’m sure that’s going to be a minor nitpick in an otherwise great movie.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Let’s face it: Wish is gonna bomb at the box office. I checked the seating charts for the movie at a few theaters near me, and not many unavailable seats. Bob Iger will just kill off any original ideas at Disney. We need to rally and get him kicked out of Disney.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Let’s face it: Wish is gonna bomb at the box office. I checked the seating charts for the movie at a few theaters near me, and not many unavailable seats. Bob Iger will just kill off any original ideas at Disney. We need to rally and get him kicked out of Disney.
That's a bit of overreaction, don't you think? The availability of seats in some select theaters in your home town is no indication of how well a movie is going to perform globally or even nationwide.

I get that people aren't happy with Bob Iger right now, but talking about "revolution" and chanting "throw the bum out!" is making a mountain out of an anthill. I'm not a Bob Iger fan or anything, but Iger's not nearly as bad for Disney Studio's as David Zaslav and his crew are for WB. Relax a little.

I'll say this; there are already Star plushies being sold at Disney gift shops and Asa is already a walkaround character in the Disney Parks. She even got to appear in Once Upon a Studio before her movie even premiered, so if Wish does fail, it won't be due to lack of publicity.

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper

This is the kind of movie that would have legs. Not everyone is going to dash out opening night. Besides people still have a few days to preorder tickets.

Moe

That's a bit of overreaction, don't you think? The availability of seats in some select theaters in your home town is no indication of how well a movie is going to perform globally or even nationwide.
Indeed, I agreed with you and I don't pay attention to negative posts, prior to film releases.

I don't normally book the seat at movie theater, however if I want to watch at AMC Dine-In, so I have to book the seat online.

Most of time, I preferred to wait for home video releases, so movie studios made a lot of money with home videos, and you know why - I despise the closed caption glasses and CaptiView. If movie has open caption so I can go but it is recommend to reserve a seat to not have seat in worst position - upper middle is best for me because of my limited visual field, so I can see entire of theater screen if it was far away.

I get that people aren't happy with Bob Iger right now, but talking about "revolution" and chanting "throw the bum out!" is making a mountain out of an anthill. I'm not a Bob Iger fan or anything, but Iger's not nearly as bad for Disney Studio's as David Zaslav and his crew are for WB. Relax a little.
Yeah, I heard about it all time, and it is getting old now.

Oh wait, I'm guilty for bash at David Zaslav and Elijah did to Bob Iger, lol.

After all, corporate studios are equally sucks.

I'll say this; there are already Star plushies being sold at Disney gift shops and Asa is already a walkaround character in the Disney Parks. She even got to appear in Once Upon a Studio before her movie even premiered, so if Wish does fail, it won't be due to lack of publicity.
Of course, kudos to you.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
If Wish does fail in the box office, the problem with it would be due to the lack of originality, as the plot is one of the main elements that is being criticized in early reviews (as of writing, it's currently 58% at Rotten Tomatoes and 50 on Metacritic).

prpis

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs
I've heard about the poor reviews. That sucks. Reading the reviews is disheartening - not bc i didnt expect it to be good, but for bc of how far the studio has gone.

Dr.Pepper

From what I gather, most of the poor reviews were citing the lack of originality and how the movie was focused more on paying homage to Disney instead of telling a story. NGL, if that’s the case I will probably still like it. Even if it’s just Disney Fan Service: The Movie, I’ll like it for that.

Ace

Ace
I don't think the problem is having true villians or having villians with complex motivations the problem is the writing and how a lot of the villians are written. A villain can be both complex and still be a true bad guy. You don't have to thread the needle here. That's why I liked Meet the Robinsons so much as a kid.

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
Trolls Band Together is almost certainly set to leave Wish in the dust at the box office. Neither one really feels super hyped, but maybe I'm just getting old.

Trolls has a better nostalgia appeal/grab for the adults with the whole boy band angle and the *NSYNC song that's been playing on pop/AC radio, and will likely win out with critics by just a smidge. A lot of people don't even know the nostalgia angle Wish is going for in celebration of Disney's anniversary, they've just seen the girl and the goat.

TsWade2

Oh come on! I don't want to go overreacting, but I don't want Wish to flop like Strange World did! If it did flop, I'm going to blame the critics! They're evil! I don't want to say it's the end of Disney, because I've been saying that from time to time. But I don't want Wish to flop! :crying:

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I've said this before, but I want Wish to succeed the for sake of the studio, but the movie looks very basic to me. I just think that whole fairy tale or fairy tale adjacent formula is a tad played out. How many films like Frozen or Tangled can you have? At least Dreamwoks is still experimenting with some different types of storytelling and visual styles and isn't just rehashing Shrek formula over and over, although there are planning to make a Shrek 5, which I think is a mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Even if Wish doesn't break any box office records, I don't see it out-and-out bombing; it adheres to a tried-and-true formula which a lot of people still like and it's being heavily promoted; as @Goldstar! noted, there are already Wish toys in the stores and character meet-and-greets in the parks, heck, Asha has already joined the pantheon of Disney Princesses before her film has even debuted. Strange World flopped because it was heinously under-promoted and it dared to stray into a new territory (1950s-1960s era pulp adventure comics) without sticking the landing; it would've fared better if its' story had leaned into its' pulp aesthetic rather than being the latest Disney movie about generational parental issues with a fairly preachy and kind of lame environmental message tacked on at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

There were apparently whispers at Universal of a Jaws remake a few years ago.
Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Here's an Intel Pentium MMX commercial featuring the voice of Casey Kasem, along with a certain disco hit song:

Featured Posts