Cartoon Network International News Thread 11.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
But is there a Prague team?

So far I haven't seen evidence showing this, especially since this is a partly newer market for Warner.

But I think there's some confusion when people say "the channel broadcasts from ..." . Just because a channel has a licence in a certain country, it doesn't mean they'll have to base something in that country, that's what I meant :D

They probably have an office there to justify their licencing , but probably that's about it
As Nikita pointed out with the screenshot, yes, there is. I was there 8 years ago. These days it's probably much better. More channels and better equipment. Back then it was mostly about HBO.

My understanding is this...
UK = creation of content
Germany = management of said content
Czechia = distribution of said content

Last edited:

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
Cool Asian bumper

If you listen closely I can hear cues from these old ones. Anyone else?

Also, old localized Russian promo
Interesting the Asian bumper shows Chowder and Jellystone, two of C.H. Greenblatt’s three series. They also have Regular Show still.

Francisque

As Nikita pointed out with the screenshot, yes, there is. I was there 8 years ago. These days it's probably much better. More channels and better equipment. Back then it was mostly about HBO.

My understanding is this...
UK = creation of content
Germany = management of said content
Czechia = distribution of said content
UK doesn't create anything promotion-wise anymore, or almost nothing.

Germany is the main player there, Czechia probably now does something, but in a more limited manner.
I guess they're trying to merge the HBO and Warner departments, and these are the first effects

Reactions: J10

RegularCapital

Staff member
UK doesn't create anything promotion-wise anymore, or almost nothing.

Germany is the main player there, Czechia probably now does something, but in a more limited manner.
I guess they're trying to merge the HBO and Warner departments, and these are the first effects
This is where things get really complicated and confusing:

By legal definition, a significant amount of editorial decisions/workforce needs to based or take place in Czechia (or any EU nation) to qualify for a licence and be referred to as the "Broadcaster".

Establishment is based on the location of the office where a significant part of the workforce is located (the HQ is usually the deciding factor as it usually employs the most people), which in most cases, as most of WarnerMedia EMEA's workforce is UK based, it doesn't qualify as a EU office, so therefore it falls back on a location within the EU, therefore they can be "based" in Czechia. WarnerMedia could argue that Czechia is their base based on editorial grounds as the VOD team (as its a HBO office) co-ordinates with the linear team (either in London as it can be co-ordinated on a EMEA basis or Munich as it's usually co-ordinated on a regional basis) on how and when shows are scheduled, plus any possible cross-promotion.

Also adding to this (but not relevant to WarnerMedia as the above criteria has been met):

For the UK (now being a non-EU country), there's also a second criteria which can be used based on the location of the uplink if there isn't a significant workforce in an EU country (usually the location of uplink doesn't really matter if the first criteria that has already been explained has been met, but its usually the case that it's in the same country as where editorial decisions are made):
  • if a service is provided via a satellite uplink in an EU country then jurisdiction would fall to that country
  • if there is more than one uplink, jurisdiction will fall to the EU country where the first uplink was established
  • if the uplink is in the UK, the jurisdiction will fall to the EU country which operates the relevant satellite capacity (this method is used by the BBC for UK domestic channels distributed in Benelux and also Sky)

In most cases, satellite capacity would either be Luxembourg (SES Astra, Intelsat) or France (Eutelsat), as the majority of EU broadcasting satellites are operated by these 2 countries.

A UK licence is still acceptable in Europe, just not in all countries (also nowhere in Europe in terms of VOD, streaming and interactive services, and you may be affected by local laws, but the ECTT treaty limits this, hence why a EU-based licence would be preferred), this includes Ireland, hence the Luxembourg satellite capacity method is used by Sky and the BBC.

Last edited:

Walker

Finally, a better rebrand for the Turkish than the current one, and they'll do it after the British one rebrand in 7 days. I'm waiting for the Arabic one to rebrand (which might be impossible to happen), as they wanted to either be followed with the British, or do it in about 2-3 months later by April. I was wishing if the Turkish and Arabic Cartoonito rebrand together in October or November of last year, and not waiting for the British Cartoonito.
They will probably extend the broadcast time. Will these shows be shown between 10:00-13:30? Do they plan to open a separate channel that will broadcast 24 hours a day?

J10

They will probably extend the broadcast time. Will these shows be shown between 10:00-13:30? Do they plan to open a separate channel that will broadcast 24 hours a day?
For CN Arabic, when it came back in April 2019, it started at 9:30 KSA until the noon, but later it expanded 3 hours, and started at 6:30 AM.

In Turkey, I don’t think it’ll expand at all to a new channel, and it’ll stay on CN. If they’ll make it as a separate channel, then they’ll have to replace Boomerang.

thetellyweb

TellyToon
Steven Universe Future has also made a surprise return to CN UK.
It's running everyday at 19:30, as new episodes I believe (took 'em THIS LONG to finish the premieres?)

And looking ahead for next month, both that and Adventure Time will be gone from February 1st.
Craig of The Creek will run at 19:00, while Ninjago runs at 19:30.

There will also be a Teen Titans Go takeover, now filling a whole schedule from 08:30 to 14:30. No more Gumball inbetween.

ItsToonTown

Steven Universe Future has also made a surprise return to CN UK.
It's running everyday at 19:30, as new episodes I believe (took 'em THIS LONG to finish the premieres?)

And looking ahead for next month, both that and Adventure Time will be gone from February 1st.
Craig of The Creek will run at 19:00, while Ninjago runs at 19:30.
Did it premiere or are they continuing where it last stopped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts