Is The Loud House losing acclaim and popularity?

Dynamite Soldier

I've been wanting to get this off my chest for quite some time, but here it goes.

It appears since season 4, The Loud House has gotten more and more criticism for its flanderization of certain characters, rehashing episodes from past seasons, having more mean-spirited undertones, creating more predictable and bland plots, and how it's handling stereotypes. It's to the point where some consider it to be the kid-friendly version of modern Family Guy.

Now I'll be honest, I'm not nor wasn't so big on The Loud House to begin with. I like the show for what it was: a wacky slice-of-life comedy cartoon about a boy dealing with his 10 sisters on a daily basis. Overall, I think it's a decent show to chill out and watch, but nothing truly groundbreaking. But when the show first debuted in May 2016, I noticed there were TONS of hype for it (even pre-debut, many people were excited for it). Animation critics and fans praised the show moreso than the other newer Nicktoons at that time (not even Harvey Beaks had the high amount of acclaim as TLH did), sometimes touting it as "the next SpongeBob". A huge fandom starting coming along, for the better or worse. The amount of hype, along with great ratings, is what caused Nick to not give the show the typical "Nicktoons death sentence", instead giving it as much love as SpongeBob (which is something most Nicktoons didn't get).

Now we are in the show's fifth season, alongside a spin-off about Lincoln's friend Ronnie Anne and her extended family, and as the days go by, I'm noticing more and more people are turning against the show, with the two-parter special "Schooled!" being considered the final nail in the coffin (in that episode, Canadian stereotypes were portrayed negatively). Now there could be other factors as to why The Loud House now has a divisive (leaning more towards negative) reception, such as its (admittedly) growing toxic fandom, its overexposure on Nick, and the disgraced original creator's unfortunate past, but it seems that the biggest issue people have with the show now is its decline in quality. With the ratings for the show now declining (although this could very well be more people dropping cable) and it's reputation up in the air, could The Loud House be very well losing the acclaim and popularity it once had in 2016? I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
While I think The Loud House is still going strong (and there are people who still think this), one could say the show's reputation was put into question when former story editor Michael Rubiner became showrunner at the end of season 3. There's always changes when someone else takes over a show. It just became more pronounced when he took over. He is the most experienced person on the show.

quintex96

Well the creator getting fired from his own show for being a creep certainly didn't help the show any, it's a shame as I liked the Chris Savino seasons of Dexter's Lab more then most so I was happy to see him get his own show. so hearing about what a sick twisted individual he was was a real letdown.

I think the show is still good and comparing it to Family Guy is a bit much(and i'm saying that as a fan of FG).

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I can't speak for the public in general, I can only offer my personal thoughts, which go thusly:

When The Loud House was first announced, I was prepared to dislike it; it looked like one of those 'gross-out' shows which have never appealed to me, but when I found out that 2 of the kids on it were twins (being a twin myself, that's an easy way to get me to watch something) I checked it out purely out of curiosity, and I thought it was OK. Sure, there was some toilet humor, but I didn't find it overwhelming, but the characters were appealing enough to me (including some that I was sure I was going to end up hating like Lori, Lola and Lily) and the jokes and stories were amusing enough to keep me tuning in for a while.

For me the show kind of flamed out around the time they did the episode "Relative Chaos" which spun off into The Casagrandes, which I didn't find the least bit funny or entertaining; not only were the jokes and characters lame and uninteresting (I don't even know any of the Casagrandes characters' names nor am I compelled to learn them), but it was just a rehash of the first show, only slightly reworked (a girl lead instead of a boy and extended relatives instead of siblings). It also didn't help that I'm not a fan of Ronnie Ann.

Then the whole Savino debacle happened and the show just seemed to devolve into a parody of itself; the focus shifted from Lincoln, the stories became less imaginative (there were far too many school plots and dating plots, which are an immediate turnoff for me) and it turned into a generic family sitcom. I think the vacation special was the last full installment of The Loud House that I've watched.

I occasionally catch glimpses of episode clips and such, and while I see the sporadic good gag every one, it appears to be playing on the same generic Full House level that they moved to after Savino got the sack, so I haven't had the desire to go back to it, and I straight-up have zero interest in The Casagarandes.

If people (more accurately kids) are still digging the show, then more power to 'em, but I personally think I've had my fill.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
The part of shifting the focus from Lincoln to an ensemble was an intentional decision, according to showrunner Michael Rubiner from a 2019 interview. With the first season largely limiting stories to the house and a few locations, he knew that things would have to change eventually to help flesh out the characters. He mentions some inspirations for the show like The Simpsons (which mainly had Bart and Homer centric stories early on before expanding to other characters), Peanuts, and, interestingly enough, The Brady Bunch. Though honestly, even if Chris Savino stayed on the series, the show would have eventually started to change.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
The part of shifting the focus from Lincoln to an ensemble was an intentional decision, according to showrunner Michael Rubiner from a 2019 interview. With the first season largely limiting stories to the house and a few locations, he knew that things would have to change eventually to help flesh out the characters. He mentions some inspirations for the show like The Simpsons (which mainly had Bart and Homer centric stories early on before expanding to other characters), Peanuts, and, interestingly enough, The Brady Bunch. Though honestly, even if Chris Savino stayed on the series, the show would have eventually started to change.

And that's fine if that's what they want to do, but I'm personally not feeling this new direction the show is taking. I enjoyed the smaller, more contained stories, so "Schooled" and onward was a good jumping off point for me. Nick's going to keep the show going as long as kids continue to watch it; I'm light years beyond the target audience, so my opinion on The Loud House doesn't carry the weight of sunlight. If TLH continues to entertain people, I say have at it, it's just not for me anymore.

It's worth mentioning that I'm not a fan of The Simpsons, Peanuts or The Brady Bunch either. :p

Last edited:

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I don't know. I never seen The Loud House since....Season 2. So, I had no idea what's going on, but honestly, I had no interest in checking it out the show ever again.

I used to like The Loud House when the pilot dropped back in 2015, but the fandom's toxicity, the Savino controversy, and the episode's quality, just make me bailed out on this show very quickly and I don't even want to touch it. Even their own spinoff and the Netflix movie, I'm still not going to watch it. It just...too tainted and too bad for me to watch it.

I still stand by that Harvey Beaks is a much better show than The Loud House, and I'm gonna keep it that way.

Nick's going to keep the show going as long as kids continue to watch it; I'm light years beyond the target audience, so my opinion on The Loud House doesn't carry the weight of sunlight. If TLH continues to entertain people, I say have at it, it's just not for me anymore.
Same here.

It's worth mentioning that I'm not a fan of The Simpsons, Peanuts or The Brady Bunch either.
Fair enough, but I still love Peanuts. ;)

kanc

I'm wondering if that is why nobody was posting Loud House episodes talkback anymore for months because some people seem to be losing interest?

CartoonLover2604

Jerk, Dinger, Bling blong.
Funny enough, I just finished rewatching the first two seasons of Loud House on Paramount Plus and I lost interest after that. The episode quality varied from pretty good to flat out awful, not to mention the Savino controversy and overexposure made me jump ship. And I also have no real interest checking out Casagrandes either. It's a-shame because I really like the comic book art style and I grew up close to where Savino grew up (Royal Oak) so it was nice seeing some Michigan represent in animation. Overall, the show was a mix bag for me personally. Not the worse Nicktoon but far from the best.

Dynamite Soldier

I don't know. I never seen The Loud House since....Season 2. So, I had no idea what's going on, but honestly, I had no interest in checking it out the show ever again.

I used to like The Loud House when the pilot dropped back in 2015, but the fandom's toxicity, the Savino controversy, and the episode's quality, just make me bailed out on this show very quickly and I don't even want to touch it. Even their own spinoff and the Netflix movie, I'm still not going to watch it. It just...too tainted and too bad for me to watch it.

I still stand by that Harvey Beaks is a much better show than The Loud House, and I'm gonna keep it that way.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. While I didn't love the show from the start, I appreciate what the show delivered to its viewers. It was a simple yet relatable show for those who are dealing with siblings. After 2017 though, I noticed things started to change for the worse with (like you said) the fandom's growing toxicity, the news of Savino's shocking past, and the show itself becoming more bland and predictable, sometimes outright awful ("No Such Luck" was the episode that made me stop watching the show religiously). After season 4, I stopped watching the show altogether because it was no longer worth caring about. I couldn't care less about The Casagrandes too, but admittedly it does have (slightly) better writing and better use of its characters than TLH from a few episodes I've seen, even if it's not all that great.

I agree that Harvey Beaks is definitely a much better show than both The Loud House and The Casagrandes IMO. Too bad Nick played the devil and screwed that show and its creator simply because it wasn't an immediate success like TLH was (and to this day, I haven't forgiven the network over that stupid stunt). It's definitely an overlooked show that needed more exposure (the ratings were fine, but they didn't meet the SpongeBob standards). Same goes to Glitch Techs, Welcome to the Wayne, It's Pony, and even Middlemost Post (except the latter since I haven't seen more of, all of these shows are way worth watching than TLH/TC, IMO).

Last edited:

CartoonLover2604

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. While I didn't love the show from the start, I appreciate what the show delivered to its viewers. It was a simple yet relatable show for those who are dealing with siblings. After 2017 though, I noticed things started to change for the worse with (like you said) the fandom's growing toxicity, the news of Savino's shocking past, and the show itself becoming more bland and predictable, sometimes outright awful ("No Such Luck" was the episode that made me stop watching the show religiously). After season 4, I stopped watching the show altogether because it was no longer worth caring about. I couldn't care less about The Casagrandes too, but admittedly it does have (slightly) better writing and better use of its characters than TLH from a few episodes I've seen, even if it's not all that great.

I agree that Harvey Beaks is definitely a much better show than both The Loud House and The Casagrandes IMO. Too bad Nick played the devil and screwed that show and its creator simply because it wasn't an immediate success like TLH was (and to this day, I haven't forgiven the network over that stupid stunt). It's definitely an overlooked show that needed more exposure (the ratings were fine, but they didn't meet the SpongeBob standards). Same goes to Glitch Techs, Welcome to the Wayne, It's Pony, and even Middlemost Post (except the latter since I haven't seen more of, all of these shows are way worth watching than TLH/TC, IMO).
Big agree on everything you said. I didn't love Loud House when I first watched it but liked what it was doing and kept on tuning it. But it just got worse the more I watched it and from the few season five episodes I watched, it's really no different than Nick's live action sitcoms at this point in terms of storytelling. I too wish Harvey Beaks and Glitch Techs didn't get canceled so soon as I felt both had a lot of potential to become big Nicktoons but Nick didn't care (I'm indifferent towards WTTW). But hey, like someone said above, Loud House isn't for me as I'm not in the target audience and if kids still enjoy it then power to them.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Ratings wise, according to Nick's recent press release, The Patrick Star Show has overtaken The Loud House as the highest rated show with kids 6-11.
I don't even care to watch that noise and... I'm not shocked, honestly. I just hope TLH & Casagrandes can come up with a good ending for themselves, at this point. Worst case scenario, the writing IS on the wall for these two shows, IMHO. Nick is not gonna let this chance to promote these spinoffs they want people to like (whether we like them or not, unfortunately!), neither, just slip away like that!

Now, as for my thoughts on this show (IGNORING THE ALWAYS TOXIC FANBASE, BTW, Which they unfortunately are.), it didn't get legit decent (not good, it was always mediocre, IMHO), DECENT until around S2 for me - where actual focus was put on developing and making more likable/less stereotypical most of the sisters, and sometimes Lynn Sr. AND Rita (the parents). Lincoln was always a weak at best/terrible at worst character, IMHO, so I welcomed more focus on most of the sisters and the parents. Don't get me started on how much I HATE CLYDE, either. We'll be here all day if I have to, sadly enough.

Too bad for every 2-3 Mid High Tier/High Tier episodes, there are 3-5 or 5-7 lower-ranking (weak-to-outright disappointing/bad) episodes holding those actually good ones back. And this was taking place during S2 and has stayed such up to now. All despite me otherwise liking the focus being more on just the sisters/the parents, too. UGH, such a shame I feel this way.....

Unpopular opinion: I find Casagrandes to be better, simply because more likable characters there - I especially like how much more of a good character Ronnie Anne is and her friendship with Sid is downright wholesomely wonderful.

Now, save for Bobby being a hopeless idiot and Carl being a slightly more flanderized Bart Simpson, because I so wanted THAT (Not really, though. Again, UGH.), I do like Casagrandes main focuses that much more than TLH's; that doesn't make them a good replacement for TLH's that I actually care about (those being the parents (Lynn Sr, Rita), Lori, Luna, Leni, The Twins, and sometimes Lucy and Lisa (who've had some weak episodes themselves, as of late, making me grow to dislike those two, as a result, sadly.).

Even when all is said and done, I would like for this show to end soon. It's too predictable for its own good and always has been, so it didn't take long for its writing quality to stagnate, which was around S2, when, again, the show was doing some good to break up the monotony, but not enough.

Bottom line: Harvey Beaks, Welcome to the Wayne, It's Pony!, Glitch Techs. All are far superior (All of them High Tier (8-9/10 MAX), IMHO) shows that got cut down (or in the case of It's Pony!, currently getting so!) before they could outdo something as truly predictable (6/10) to mediocre (5/10) to disappointing (4/10 and unfortunately lower) as TLH / Casagrandes are and always have been to me, honestly enough.

So what if I still watch both? I still know I've seen better in this channel and it stinks how much what's better (again, Harvey Beaks, Welcome to the Wayne, Glitch Techs, and It's Pony!), got mistreated and badrapped by not just the network, but most of the internet at large, which is what hurts me more, honestly enough..... Although part of that has to do with, again, the toxic fanbase propping up TLH/Casagrsndes too much for their own good, over just about anything else/while not giving anything else a chance like everything deserves (again, don't go attacking these guys/ignore them, as trolling/flaming gets no one anywhere.).

In other words, UGH. Nick has done better. And they're a far cry from what CN/Disney/HBO Max/Netflix/Streaming in general are doing for Western animation in an actually good way, right now, IMHO.

Last edited:

CartoonLover2604

So what if I still watch both? I still know I've seen better in this channel and it stinks how much what's better (again, Harvey Beaks, Welcome to the Wayne, Glitch Techs, and It's Pony!), got mistreated and badrapped by not just the network, but most of the internet at large, which is what hurts me more, honestly enough..... Although part of that has to do with, again, the toxic fanbase propping up TLH/Casagrsndes too much for their own good, over just about anything else/whilr not giving anything else a chance like everything deserves (again, don't go attacking these guys/ignore them, as trolling/flaming gets no one anywhere.).
What's even sadder is the more people online complain about Kamp Koral and Patrick Star Show, the more publicity they get which equals better ratings. And when people complain about how Nick doesn't have anything original (despite as of this typing: Middlemost Post and It's Pony being right in front of them), those originals get screwed by the network and then they finally talk about them and why it's “unfair” they got screwed. It's a really annoying habit that I wish would die out for good…

Zanneck

What's even sadder is the more people online complain about Kamp Koral and Patrick Star Show, the more publicity they get which equals better ratings. And when people complain about how Nick doesn't have anything original (despite as of this typing: Middlemost Post and It's Pony being right in front of them), those originals get screwed by the network and then they finally talk about them and why it's “unfair” they got screwed. It's a really annoying habit that I wish would die out for good…
I don't even care for Middlemost Post (unlike the four I've mentioned and do prefer, persobally) and I 250% still agree with you with just how much, yeah - this kinda noise ain't helpin' Western Animation in general, not just this one regime, compete proper with the rest out there, honestly.

CartoonLover2604

I don't even care for Middlemost Post (unlike the four I've mentioned and do prefer, persobally) and I 250% still agree with you with just how much, yeah - this kinda noise ain't helpin' Western Animation in general, not just this one regime, compete proper with the rest out there, honestly.
Cartoon Network shows seem to suffer this as well with the likes of OK K.O., Clarence, Uncle Grandpa, etc.

quintex96

And that's fine if that's what they want to do, but I'm personally not feeling this new direction the show is taking. I enjoyed the smaller, more contained stories, so "Schooled" and onward was a good jumping off point for me. Nick's going to keep the show going as long as kids continue to watch it; I'm light years beyond the target audience, so my opinion on The Loud House doesn't carry the weight of sunlight. If TLH continues to entertain people, I say have at it, it's just not for me anymore.

It's worth mentioning that I'm not a fan of The Simpsons, Peanuts or The Brady Bunch either. :p
Whoa i've NEVER met someone who didn't like the Simpsons, oookkkkkkkaaaayyyy then. Personally i'm glad the show is branching out to others, I especially loved the Sam/Luna stuff, they are soooooo cute together!

quintex96

I don't even care to watch that noise and... I'm not shocked, honestly. I just hope TLH & Casagrandes can come up with a good ending for themselves, at this point. Worst case scenario, the writing IS on the wall for these two shows, IMHO. Nick is not gonna let this chance to promote the spinoff they want people to like, neither.

Now, as for my thoughts on this show (IGNORING THE ALWAYS TOXIC FANBASE, BTW, Which they unfortunately are.), it didn't get legit decent (not good, it was always mediocre, IMHO), DECENT until around S2 for me - where actual focus was put on developing and making more likable/less stereotypical most of the sisters, and sometimes Lynn Sr. AND Rita (the parents). Lincoln was always a weak at best/terrible at worst character, IMHO, so I welcomed more focus on most of the sisters and the parents.
Too bad for every 2-3 Mid High Tier/High Tier episodes, there are 3-5 or 5-7 lower-ranking (weak-to-outright disappointing/bad) episodes holding those actually good ones back. And this was taking place during S2 and has stayed such up to now. All despite me otherwise liking the focus being more on just the sisters/the parents, too. UGH, such a shame I feel this way.....

Unpopular opinion: I find Casagrandes to be better, simply because more likable characters there - I especially like how much more of a good character Ronnie Anne is and her friendship with Sid is downright wholesomely wonderful.

Now, save for Bobby being a hopeless idiot and Carl being a slightly more flanderized Bart Simpson, because I so wanted THAT (Not really, though. Again, UGH.), I do like Casagrandes main focuses that much more than TLH's; that doesn't make them a good replacement for TLH's that I actually care about (those being the parents (Lynn Sr, Rita), Lori, Luna, Leni, The Twins, and sometimes Lucy and Lisa (who've had some weak episodes themselves, as of late, making me grow to dislike those two, as a result, sadly.).

Even when all is said and done, I would like for this show to end soon. It's too predictable for its own good and always has been, so it didn't take long for its writing quality to stagnate, which was around S2, when, again, the show was doing some good to break up the monotony, but not enough.

Bottom line: Harvey Beaks, Welcome to the Wayne, It's Pony!, Glitch Techs. All are far superior (All of them High Tier (8-9/10 MAX), IMHO) shows that got cut down (or in the case of It's Pony!, currently getting so!) before they could outdo something as truly predictable (6/10) to mediocre (5/10) to disappointing (4/10 and unfortunately lower) as TLH / Casagrandes are and always have been to me, honestly enough.

So what if I still watch both? I still know I've seen better in this channel and it stinks how much what's better (again, Harvey Beaks, Welcome to the Wayne, Glitch Techs, and It's Pony!), got mistreated and badrapped by not just the network, but most of the internet at large, which is what hurts me more, honestly enough..... Although part of that has to do with, again, the toxic fanbase propping up TLH/Casagrsndes too much for their own good, over just about anything else/while not giving anything else a chance like everything deserves (again, don't go attacking these guys/ignore them, as trolling/flaming gets no one anywhere.).

In other words, UGH. Nick has done better. And they're a far cry from what CN/Disney/HBO Max/Netflix/Streaming in general are doing for Western animation in an actually good way, right now, IMHO.
How exactly is the fanbase toxic? Because they have a different opinion of the show then you do? I think the show is still pretty good personally, just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are "propping the show up". I've seen other shows but most just don't do it for me, Glitch Techs is cool, but honestly Harvey Beaks didn't really grab me. Let's just I largely agreed with Mr Enter's review of it:

Zanneck

Cartoon Network shows seem to suffer this as well with the likes of OK K.O., Clarence, Uncle Grandpa, etc.
All of those were criminally underrated shows I actually liked and miss wholeheartedly (well Clarence & OK K.O. I definitely miss more than UG, unfortunately, but still!), all way more than I can tolerate TLH/Casagrandes, in all their mediocrity, honestly.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Here's an Intel Pentium MMX commercial featuring the voice of Casey Kasem, along with a certain disco hit song:

Boomerang might as well join Nicktoons and TeenNick now.

Featured Posts