Is there any sequel animated series you would to see?

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Is there any sequel animated series you would to see? A sequel is a continuation of a series that ended a while ago, like X-Men 97 or Samurai Jack season 5. Lets limit the time frame to something that has ended for 5 years ago or more.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
As I think of some of my favorite series that I'd like to revisit, we'd probably be much better without seeing any of these happen but they're what I think of.

- ExoSquad (Soldiers aren't guaranteed a happy ending but a real ending where I least know what happened to JT would be killer)
- Spider-Man 94 (or any of the other Spider-Man series that ended tragically)
- Dungeons and Dragons (I thought the fan animation, Renault commercial, and radio play were all great but I would love to see a fully realized story that took the gang on one last epic adventure before they got home)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (They never even got to using Wildfire. The cameo in the Scooby/Krypto movie got to me)
- Freakazoid (only if they could actually replicate the look and the tone)
- Something Marvel Action Universe related, in the same universe as X-Men 97. The Fantastic Four had a season of stories that they didn't get to. I always wanted to see the Avengers of that world fully realized but it would probably be redundant when EMH exists. Still there was a lot of Marvel story potential in that universe.
- Earth's Mightiest Heroes (Same as above)

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'd love to see a continuation of Spectacular Spider Man. Even just getting that brief cameo in Across The Spider Verse made me really happy, despite hearing about it well ahead of watching the movie. It was the first new bit of Spectacular Spider Man and getting even that much was probably tricky to pull off. As unlikely as it is, it would be cool to actually see what they wanted to do originally.

A Gargoyles continuation would also be pretty cool. While it does have some comic continuations, it would be nice to see it get a proper animated revival. I remember watching the first two seasons. I don't think Disney Channel aired reruns of season three, but it would be nice to explore that world again.

Pooky

Staff member
I don't know if I still want this in 2024 exactly but I always thought a Transformers series set between Season 2 of G1 and the original animated movie (set in the then future of 2005) would be fun. It wouldn't necessarily have to lead up directly to the movie, but there's certainly scope for showing the Decepticons re-establishing control of Cybertron, some character development for Hot Rod etc. Set it in a mid-way point of 1995 or something and have some fun with the time period (Mini-Disc Transformer? Laserdisc Transformer? Game Boy Transformer? Virtual Boy Transformer?!?). I'm honestly surprised that, as far as I know, there hasn't even been a comic that went this route.

veu

I'd love to see a continuation of many show:

1) 90's Marvel Animated shows: Fantastic Four, Avengers United They Stand.
2) Others Marvel shows: The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Avengers Assemble.
3) DC shows: Superfriends, DC Superhero Girls, etc.
4) Huntik Secrets and Seekers.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I don't know if this counts as a sequel series, but I'm sorry that the WB' Network's Mission Hill was cancelled after 1 season. The show's main character was a 20-something slacker named Andy French (voiced by Wallace Langham) who was an aspiring cartoonist forced to work a dead-end job at a mattress store which he planned to quit as soon as he got a job making cartoons. Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstien's original plan was that each season would focus on a different stage in Andy's career. Season 1 ended with Andy leaving the mattress store and getting a corporate job. Season 2 would have focused on that, while season 3 would have had Andy achieving his dream of starting his own animated series.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
I honestly have only a few...
1) Captain Planet - that show is more relevant than ever and could be cool again
2) Swat Kats - cult classic, in the works, but taking way long
3) Spiderman Unlimited - imo the most interesting one, comics are at all time high
4) The Centurions - should continue as live action trilogy
5) Dark Water - better than the live Potc, pirates are always popular

khuddle

As I think of some of my favorite series that I'd like to revisit, we'd probably be much better without seeing any of these happen but they're what I think of.
- Dungeons and Dragons (I thought the fan animation, Renault commercial, and radio play were all great but I would love to see a fully realized story that took the gang on one last epic adventure before they got home)
- The Fantastic Four had a season of stories that they didn't get to.There was a lot of Marvel story potential in that universe.
- Earth's Mightiest Heroes (Same as above)
- These are all great ideas. I would love to see a modern reboot of Dungeons and Dragons with updated animation and perhaps a slightly more serious, more adult tone. Given the popularity of Legend of Vox Machina and Dragon Age: Absolution, you never know, this could happen.

- Not that it will ever happen, but I would have liked to have seen Warren Ellis original vision of the Castlevania. Ellis originally planned that the series would run seven episodes, but he was dismissed from the show after the third episode. As a result, the 4th and final episode felt like a rushed, abrupt way to end the series. I would have liked to have seen the series as it was originally planned.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
DC shows: Superfriends, DC Superhero Girls, etc.

I've often had ideas for continuing SuperFriends using DC Post-Crisis storylines as a basis, like Lex Luthor seemingly going legit, starting LexCorp, but still being a bad guy, Batman going darker due to some circumstance, Hal Jordan getting older and passing the Green Lantern mantle on to someone else, like Guy Gardner or John Stewart, Dick Grayson retiring as Robin and becoming Nightwing and him and Cyborg starting the Teen Titans.

You know, stuff like that.

Zorak Masaki

I've often had ideas for continuing SuperFriends using DC Post-Crisis storylines as a basis, like Lex Luthor seemingly going legit, starting LexCorp, but still being a bad guy, Batman going darker due to some circumstance, Hal Jordan getting older and passing the Green Lantern mantle on to someone else, like Guy Gardner or John Stewart, Dick Grayson retiring as Robin and becoming Nightwing and him and Cyborg starting the Teen Titans.

You know, stuff like that.

I would have loved to see Martian Manhunter, Dr. Fate, and Captain Marvel make appearances. At that point they were all in the toyline and they had prominent roles in the DC comics of the time. Instead we had to wait for the 2000s Justice League cartoon to see them in animation (though it was better written and animated than an 80s Superfriends series could have been at least)

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
It never really had an ongoing, serialized story like most of the shows mentioned above, but I'd love a Megas XLR follow-up. Take more shots at sci-fi, anime, and mecha and if they have time conclude the Glorft/time travel story.

In terms of shows that actually had ongoing plots, Frisky Dingo. Either a season 3 or the Xtacles spin-off.

stephane dumas

I would like to see a second season of Atomic Puppet, Phil Felt discovered his son's secret about him and AP being Atomic Puppet and if the relation between Joey Felt and Pauline Bell would had followed a bit the same pattern as Danny Fenton and Sam Manson.

Speaking of more seasons, the same could be said about Wayside school, where they could focus on other students in Mrs. Jewls class like they did in some episodes of season 2 with Joe, Stephens as well as some students from the books like Paul who didn't appeared in the cartoon and who could do some cameos if there was a third season.

Btw, now then Clone High have now a second season, I wish the same thing for Undergrads.

I know then Total Drama got a reboot but I wish then Fresh-TV wasn't so hard against the fan-made project Total Drama Reunion just for the fun to see one more time some people of the original cast while we're at it, they could revive it with the addition of some of the cast members of Revenge of the Island and Pahkitew Island to imagine a season named "Total Drama Alumnis".

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
One more Super Friends sequel series idea of mine I've forgot to add: A time-travel storyline involving the Justice Society and the Legion of Super-Heroes.
You just reminded me of JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time. I remember thinking of it like a modern SuperFriends movie at the time. This was probably after that Joker's Playhouse special too.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
One more Super Friends sequel series idea of mine I've forgot to add: A time-travel storyline involving the Justice Society and the Legion of Super-Heroes.
You just reminded me of JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time. I remember thinking of it like a modern SuperFriends movie at the time. This was probably after that Joker's Playhouse special too.

Reactions: veu

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I'd love to see an anthology series for the Avatarverse in form of Star Trek: Short Treks, Star Wars Visions and Pokémon Chronicles, with episodes focusing on different characters other than Team Avatar from either The Last Airbender or The Legend of Korra.
- Not that it will ever happen, but I would have liked to have seen Warren Ellis original vision of the Castlevania. Ellis originally planned that the series would run seven episodes, but he was dismissed from the show after the third episode. As a result, the fourth and final episode felt like a rushed, abrupt way to end the series. I would have liked to have seen the series as it was originally planned.
See, I'm the opposite on that the final season of Castlevania was rushed as I thought it was a satisfying conclusion to the series.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I just thought of G.I. Joe Resolute for the first time in a while. It used to really bug me that they never did more in line with that. It kind of tried what X-Men 97 did, by pairing elements of the original series with elements of the comic. I don't know what Hasbro has been developing for the past couple of years (or if they'll even get anywhere with it, given their current state) but I'd be interested to see a Real American Hero sequel.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why is it automatically assumed that if a person were to suddenly gain super powers they'll put on tights and either immediately decide to save the world or conquer/destroy it?
the sports junkie in me really loves playing Sports Reference's Immaculate Grid games. nice way to start off each morning.
Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?

Featured Posts