Riddler in Batman Forever too "Jim Carrey-ish?"

dark knight acolyte

Deep in the Shadows of Gotham
I personally had trouble getting into the character of Riddler in Batman Forever, thinking he was too Jim Carrey-ish. I had trouble seeing him as Riddler and often thought of him as Jim Carrey PLAYING Riddler (which, to be true, it was!)....but that kind of shows that I couldn't get in touch with that character as the character in and of itself.

Thoughts?

TimTwoFace

Mod, and Minotaur Bait
I personally thought that Jim Carrey did a great job being the Riddler in BATMAN FOREVER - true, he was more of the Frank Gorshin version than the colder, more calculating version as seen in recent comics and on the animated series, but it was still thoroughly entertaining and did touch upon the real character. Of all the people in that movie that DID suck, though, was Tommy Lee Jones - I totally blame the writing and directing for ruining his character. He was too Jim-Carrey-ish for Two-Face's part - but Schumacher didn't give him a choice, because he would otherwise become just another set prop whenever Carrey came on scene. Agh.

Well, at least in BATMAN FOREVER only one character was tainted...in the next movie, only Nora got out of it unscathed. That's the beauty of not having any lines to read, folks.

-Tim

mbaker

I thought Jim Carrey was A little too over the top as The Riddler. I liked him as The Mask, but not as The Riddler.

Failure

Entertainment Mod
I thought Jim Carey was fine, a bit over the top, but ok. Actually, his Riddler seemed a bit Jokerish. I bet he could do a pretty mean Joker.

Clayface

Molecularly Malleable Mod
I personally can't stand Jim Carrey, so I was dreading seeing him in the movie to begin with. And then when it turned out he was doing the over-the-top Riddler, rather than the intelligent, more collected Riddler of the cartoon and recent comics, I was even more disappointed. A big old thumbs down from me on this one.

Karkull

Eldritch Lord of Chaos
Staff member
His version of the Riddler was okay - if you like the 60's Batman series. He would, however, rule as the Joker.

Jor-El

Krypton is doomed.
For years, I've said that Jim Carrey could've been the Joker and Jack Nicholson should've been the Riddler. Simply reverse the roles and you have perfect actors in each.

Theking

Very cute Lego Babe.
Well personally, I thought that Jim was over the edge for the riddler. I didn't even think about him as the Joker but now that it has been brought up.... yea I think I would like to have seen him toned down alittle and made into the Joker. That would be cool.

I think that almost everything Jim Carey has done has been overacting. I am not much into that style.

TheKing

CadaverousEyes

Ostracized
Too much like the Joker. Two-Face was too much like the Joker too. I'm placing full blame the script, because his Edward Nygma was serious and well-portrayed.

Meow

Feeling nostalgic
Riddler DID act too much like the Joker in that movie, and Two-Face was out of character too. Remember when they both sat down to play a game of Battleship? That's something I'd expect from Joker...not Riddler or Two-Face. ESPECIALLY not Two-Face.

Jim Carrey's is a good actor, but Riddler was just too nuts in that movie.

>I had trouble seeing him as Riddler and often thought of him as Jim Carrey PLAYING Riddler<

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Rember in the begging of liar liar or even the mask. I think movie should have started out with him being a buisness man a over confident intelligent JERK. Then have him get humiliated in front of his coworkers and get fired. Then have him go insane and become the riddler.

My two cents

Joker85

Clown Prince
Just to throw in my 2 cents, I HATE Jim Carrey with a passion. The very sight of him makes me physically ill. I felt he was a little over the top for the Riddler (even Frank Gorshin wasn't that bad). And also, I do not think for one second that he would be a good Joker and should he ever have been cast in that role, I certainly wouldn't have gone and seen it. He would have completely ruined the character!!! Jack Nicholson did just fine.

TimTwoFace

Mod, and Minotaur Bait
I still think Jim Carrey did a fine job - but if he toned it down and was just "quirky" instead of "crazy", it would have been better.

As for Two-Face, I always thought Tommy Lee Jones was a perfect choice for the role, just as Nicholson was for the Joker. The main problem wasn't the script, necessarily - yes, it was Riddler-centric in the end, but the problem was the directing. I think that if Two-Face played it more cool and calculating through the film (a counterpoint to a hyper Riddler), it would have been cool.

The same could be said about the Freeze/Ivy relationship in BATMAN & ROBIN, actually. But that movie needs a LOT more work done to make it even up to par.

PS - Jim Carrey has done SOME good movies that weren't over-acting! BESIDES the Truman Show, I mean...there are some!

-Tim

The Mad Hatter

Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?
Tim makes a good point... Two-Face should have been a dark counterpoint to Carrey's Riddler.

And comparing the two, I'd say Two-Face was farther out of character. Riddler's always been flamboyant, so Carrey's take on it was fine. Then again, I enjoy his flicks more often than not. (well, the ones where he actually plays a character, rather than a loosely-connected ball of zaniness, a la Ace Ventura or Dumb and Dumber).

TimTwoFace

Mod, and Minotaur Bait
Hey, DUMB AND DUMBER was a great movie! Granted, it was stupid (as the title would imply), but it was still intelligent!

The ACE VENTURA films were pretty lame, though - those are the only films of Carrey's that I don't hold in high regard.

-Tim

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts