Toonami Rewind Show Suggestions

What is your top request for Toonami Rewind?

• Total voters

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08

Today a new Toonami block called Toonami Rewind was announced. It will be airing classic Toonami shows from the past, in their modern dub incarnations. For example no Sailor Moon Crystal yet, but original Sailor Moon with Viz dub. No DBZ, but DBZ Kai. Naruto looks like it will be the uncut version, rather than the edited version which originally aired on Toonami. So keep in mind things won’t be exactly as you remember them from your childhood, but taking advantage of AS BS&P and changes in dubbing.

These shows will last a long time, years each, but there are sure to be many more series people want to see, in case the block ends up expanding or lasting a long time. What are your top shows? For the purposes of the poll I have included shows that aired on Toonami US in the CN era only. If you want to add other shows that may have aired on Toonami internationally like Saint Seiya or InuYasha feel free to write in your vote in the thread.

I voted for Thundercats, the 80s version. It was the first show to air on Toonami and my introduction to the block. Since it often aired next to DBZ and Sailor Moon in the Moltar and TOM1-2 eras, I would love to see it return next to its old neighbors.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I have to compliment your list of choices, those are all the ones I thought of. Well, except I'd remove "Ronin Warriors" and replace it with "ReBoot".

I like how you lumped in all of the Gundam shows in one slot, and all of the Tenchi shows in one slot. The only other show I can think of that's missing is "Big O".

I voted Gundam, as seeing Gundam Wing back on the block would be true nostalgia overload.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Tenchi is probably off limits because Crunchyroll. A reminder of shows that probably can't air because Crunchyroll has the license:

Trigun
Yu Yu Hakusho
Outlaw Star
Tenchi Muyo
Fullmetal Alchemist
Eureka 7
Blue Submarine Number 6
Witch Hunter Robin
Wolf's Rain
Trinity Blood
Blue Gender
Paranoia Agent

Probably more 00s Classic Toonami/ASA shows, but those were the ones off the top of my head. Maybe Crunchyroll Rewind on Pluto could be a competitor as they seem to have a huge portion of Toonami and ASA's vault programming.

Kooplecrap Me

Cartoonist, Researcher, Inactive YouTuber
I would like to see AS reacquire the broadcast rights to air Gigantor again for the block. I'm not sure who owns the rights or how much it would cost to acquire today though

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I think Justice League Unlimited would be a pretty good addition outside of anime. Batman TAS could work as well (and could work as counter programming for Caped Crusader on Amazon). Maybe Young Justice too, or at least the first seasons which are over a decade old by this point.

For anime I was mainly thinking of Yu Yu Hakusho, Outlaw Star, Kenshin, Gundam Wing, stuff I remember watching and enjoying years ago.

I doubt it will happen but it would be fun to have The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest or SWAT Kats in there even for a little while.

Nobodyman

Ronin Warriors, Voltron, Robotech, Gundam Wing, and Tench would all be cool since I never watched them back in the day and would love to correct that mistake.

Personally, I think it would be cool to show the early One Piece episodes with the Funimation dub.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
For anime I was mainly thinking of Yu Yu Hakusho, Outlaw Star, Kenshin, Gundam Wing, stuff I remember watching and enjoying years ago.

The whole controversy with Kenshin's creator will probably prevent it from airing. Yu Yu Hakusho and Outlaw Star are on the Crunchyroll list, so they seem improbable considering the bad blood between Crunchyroll and Toonami.

I think Justice League Unlimited would be a pretty good addition outside of anime. Batman TAS could work as well (and could work as counter programming for Caped Crusader on Amazon). Maybe Young Justice too, or at least the first seasons which are over a decade old by this point.

Demarco said that it takes going through lots of red tape to get DC stuff despite being under the Warner umbrella. They just seem really limited if they can't get Crunchyroll titles or DC. The Funiroll merger has really hurt Toonami as Funimation was a major Toonami ally before merging with Crunchyroll, who is hostile to them.

Rynnec

G Gundam, Wing, and Yu Yu Hakusho are my most wanted. I'd accept Seed only and only if it's the Ocean dub, but I know that won't happen.

Rurouni Kenshin would be wonderful, but the creator being a convicted pedophile means that it's probably for the best it doesn't air. My alternative, if shows that only aired on Toonami once for a special occasion are on the table, is Trigun.

For "old things that haven't aired on Toonami but would make a good fit anyway" suggestions: Slayers and Magic Knight Rayearth.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Tenchi is probably off limits because Crunchyroll. A reminder of shows that probably can't air because Crunchyroll has the license:

Trigun
Yu Yu Hakusho
Outlaw Star
Tenchi Muyo
Fullmetal Alchemist
Eureka 7
Blue Submarine Number 6
Witch Hunter Robin
Wolf's Rain
Trinity Blood
Blue Gender
Paranoia Agent

Probably more 00s Classic Toonami/ASA shows, but those were the ones off the top of my head. Maybe Crunchyroll Rewind on Pluto could be a competitor as they seem to have a huge portion of Toonami and ASA's vault programming.

So what I'm hearing you say is, there's still a chance of Gundam or Thundercats coming to the block.

giphy.gif

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
So what I'm hearing you say is, there's still a chance of Gundam or Thundercats coming to the block.

I think it will be a tough fight to get those titles, but they seem more likely than Crunchyroll.

I get the feeling everyone's going to request a bunch of Crunchyroll titles despite Demarco's insistence that they can't get anything from them. I know Demarco has been negotiating with them for years. Last Tweet that asked about Yu Yu Hakusho specifically had Demarco basically say, "No because Crunchyroll." I still think only Viz titles are realistic (well, Disney probably has Bleach clamped down), but I understand why everyone keeps shouting for Yu Yu Hakusho, Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo, and other Crunchyroll stuff. Those were some of the most pivotal shows.

Conttactt

They can’t secure Witch from Mercury so I’d assume any Gundam is off the table.

I think everyone is a bit ahead of themselves here, we don’t even know if this block is gonna last. The 5-7pm time block has been very volatile in the past few months

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
Unfortunately, a monopoly is swallowing up so many of our best options instead of being willing to play with them and both reap some reward. (I'm also not sure if the FuniStufRoll monster is even aware they have some of these shows, considering the original Tenchi series are still missing from CR, but I digress.) They've also picked shows out for the debut lineup that will give them quite a bit of time to play around with, so hopefully any schedule shake-ups we get are relatively big.

However, I do think it's likely that Big O or IGPX will get slots here down the road. I wouldn't even mind seeing Teen Titans in one slot. If they branch outside of series that previously aired on Toonami to include shows they wanted to air on Toonami back in the day...Magic Knight Rayearth, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and Ranma 1/2 are non-CR. (Is the world ready for Evangelion at 5:30? I think so, but S&P is likely to disagree.)

Last edited:

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
Unfortunately, a monopoly is swallowing up so many of our best options instead of being willing to play with them and both reap some reward. (I'm also not sure if the FuniStufRoll monster is even aware they have some of these shows, considering the original Tenchi series are still missing from CR, but I digress.) They've also picked shows out for the debut lineup that will give them quite a bit of time to play around with, so hopefully any schedule shake-ups we get are relatively big.
Yeah, that is so unfortunate. If there's one thing I hate about this capitalist's society is corporate monopiles. They are bad for everyone. Crunchyroll is no exception.
However, I do think it's likely that Big O or IGPX will get slots here down the road.
Yeah, that would be nice to see.
I wouldn't even mind seeing Teen Titans in one slot.
That would be hilarious.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
I think it would be neat if the shows that briefly aired during Giant Robot Week (Martian Successor Nadesico and Dai-Guard) got full runs, assuming the licenses survived after ADV rebranded as Sentai Filmworks.

Rynnec

I think it would be neat if the shows that briefly aired during Giant Robot Week (Martian Successor Nadesico and Dai-Guard) got full runs, assuming the licenses survived after ADV rebranded as Sentai Filmworks.
According to wikipedia, Crunchy currently has Nadesico, so that's probably off the table for now. Dai-Guard can air though, since that's Discotek, and I'm sure they'd be happy to have Toonami air more of their catalogue.

Come to think of it, They could probably air Case Closed as well since that's also Discotek, and the landscape of anime fandom and TV has changed enough that it'd have an easier time finding an audience, and it would air in an hour people are actually awake this time.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
According to wikipedia, Crunchy currently has Nadesico, so that's probably off the table for now. Dai-Guard can air though, since that's Discotek, and I'm sure they'd be happy to have Toonami air more of their catalogue.

Come to think of it, They could probably air Case Closed as well since that's also Discotek, and the landscape of anime fandom and TV has changed enough that it'd have an easier time finding an audience, and it would air in an hour people are actually awake this time.
Episode 965-1014 of Detective Conan seem like the only thing that would be eligible for airing. For 99% of Toonam viewers there would be nothing nostalgic about watching modern Conan episodes with a new dub cast and different character names. They are airing shows people actually remember from Toonami. Case Closed not only never aired on Toonami, it was also a huge failure on Adult Swim, and only lasted about a year. Most showings were at 5:30 am, after the first few months. The first dub has not aged well and would feel terribly out of place next to redubbed Sailor Moon and DBZ… I don’t think TMS wants the old Funi dub from 20 years ago airing. It’s inconsistent with the current releases. It is far too late for that show to ever find a foothold on TV in America. The show is well over a thousand episodes and at least 80% of that has never been dubbed. There is such an enormous backlog of Conan that a dub could never finish it all.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
I would say Gundam and Outlaw Star. But if they want to embrace old while having a premiere instead of just reruns then they should air stuff like Samurai Pizza Cats or Ninja Robots too. Also, wouldn't mind seeing Johnny Quest or Space Ghost.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Here's adult animation category ballot for Emmy Awards 2024. I'm hoping that Praise Petey will get in the final line-up.

I don't know where to post this...
but Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is in development of Disney.

I guess Nick is officially done with this franchise for now.
Happy 20th Birthday to the Cartoon Network City Era!

Featured Posts