MeTV Toons Network to Launch as a Collaboration Between Weigel Broadcasting and Warner. Bros Discovery - Launching on June 25th

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
and seven of the top 10 TV markets (sorry, Atlanta and Boston).
Well that's a no for me rn then.

I am curious about what this channel means for Boomerang, but ideally, there should be room for multiple channels to air Warner's stacked animation library. It would be a shame if Boom went back to just airing the same 3 franchises on a loop or disappear entirely.

PinkieLopBun

That's so interesting!
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
This was linked in the Cartoon Research post, but just so it's here as well, here's the website:

Not much on it right now, but it has a trailer for the channel.

wiley207

The character borders on the website basically gives you a picture of what is going to be shown. Not just our favorite classics, but some 90s and 2000s classics as well (Xiaolin Showdown, Freakazoid!, Duck Dodgers, 2 Stupid Dogs, Krypto the Superdog, etc..)
I also saw the Nelvana Beetlejuice and the 90s Rob Paulsen "The Mask" there, too. This is going to be very much like Cartoon Network was in the late 90s and early 2000s! A healthy blend of classic and contemporary animated content. (The current Boomerang is also somewhat like that, but with far less variety and more repetition.)

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
If they eventually add the entire Ash era of Pokemon (which would also come to the main MeTV and H&I under my proposal) then I would be set.

Pooky

Staff member
Baby Looney Tunes?!? And I thought Saved By the Bell was an odd fit for the main channel.

Still I get the sense they may be aiming for a wider "born in the 20th Century" core audience, rather than the more Boomer-centric focus of the first channel.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Hopefully Frndly TV will have it like the other Wiegel networks, since that is the cheapest of the streaming channel thing-ys. Like 10 bucks, and having a MeTV Toon channel might be more worth it than paying the same or more for Max.

Baby Looney Tunes?!? And I thought Saved By the Bell was an odd fit for the main channel.

Still I get the sense they may be aiming for a wider "born in the 20th Century" core audience, rather than the more Boomer-centric focus of the first channel.
On that note, Saved by the Bell runs because it is old now, but it also fulfills the mandated E/I rules , that's also why TBS ran it so long when they were fulfills E/I rules for the WTBS feed in Atlanta. It's better than the boring E/I shows that exist.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Weigel Broadcasting and Warner Bros. Discovery Partner for MeTV Toons"​

MeTV-Toons.png

"MeTV parent company Weigel Broadcasting is partnering with Warner Bros. Discovery to launch MeTV Toons. The new over the air channel, which is set to launch on June 25th, will be focused on classic animation from the theatrical era to old made for TV favorites.

Much of the programming on MeTV Toons is from the Warner Bros. Discovery library. The full lineup is not yet known, but shows and characters listed include Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Tom and Jerry, Scooby-Doo, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Top Cat, Yogi Bear, and Johnny Quest. There will also be non-Warner Bros. Discovery properties on the network, such as Rocky and Bullwinkle, Woody Woodpecker, Casper, Betty Boop, and Speed Racer.

Weigel is touting MeTV Toons as “the only TV network devoted exclusively to classic animation”. Warner Bros. Discovery’s Boomerang used to serve this purpose, but it has aired newer shows in recent years. “We are honored to work with the amazing team at Warner Bros. Discovery and others on this network and bring together a truly incredible collection of the world’s best known and most loved classic cartoons, creating a new destination for everyone to discover or rediscover the sheer joy of watching cartoons on TV,” said Neal Sabin, vice chairman of Weigel Broadcasting. “MeTV Toons will be dedicated 24/7 to showcasing the biggest names and most beloved classic cartoons and animated characters. Everyone has a favorite cartoon; it is a universally loved art form. We are thrilled to bring those smiles and memories back to TV with MeTV Toons.”"

Read the full article here.

Here's the Twitter post (with the trailer):

"">

Last edited:

Mandouga

Cartoon Research just posted this:
Reading it, if it wasn't obvious by now, WE ARE COOKED!!!

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by cooked. I'm going to assume you don't mean “hosed”, as Ratchet (Ratchet and Clank) would say…

Speed Racer, huh? Well, it's not only a classic anime (Japanese title: "Mach Go Go Go"), it's also a classic of American TV as well. I'm hoping that it won't be a "PAL" version where the pitch is a half-step higher than it should be…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
The other media companies providing content to this network like NBCUniversal and Paramount Global should have minority stakes in the network. The former has shows like Gravedale High they can put on the network, and the latter can put some of the earliest Nicktoons on the network.

CartoonLover2604

Jerk, Dinger, Bling blong.
I'm excited for this network. Tons of really great shows easily makes this blow Boomerang out of the water. Hoping Xfinity picks up the channel since they historically never picked up Boomerang.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
You know, it's funny because I was just about to comment on MeTV Toons yesterday, but the Variety and TVLine articles was taken down, and I just ended up waiting until it is officially announced.

Now, MeTV Toons has officially announced today, both of those articles are back up again, so I'm gonna share them here.

My thoughts on MeTV Toons?

What else can I really say that hasn't already been said? I'm pretty friggin' excited!

Coming from someone who loves MeTV, having a classic cartoon channel made by them is a dream come true.

MeTV Toons really did remind me of what Cartoon Network and Boomerang used to be back in the 90's and the early 2000's (before they became kiddified throughout the 2000's and 2010's); a general audience animation channel that kids and adults can watch, especially if you're a fan of animation.

The selection of shows they had on MeTV Toons really surprised me. I mean, Tom and Jerry, Scooby Doo, and Looney Tunes I expected, but 2 Stupid Dogs? Super Secret Squirrel? Rocky and Bullwinkle? Freakazoid? Casper? Xailon Showdon?! YO! LET'S GOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I swear, if they're gonna added Tiny Toon Adventures and A Pup Named Scooby Doo, I would have a freaking heart attack lol

But seriously though, MeTV Toons has such a stacked lineup that got really me really excited. Especially during the time when the animation industry is in major shambles right now. I may not like Warner Bros. Discovery when it comes to screwing over Cartoon Network lately, but if there's one thing I would them credit for, at least they do care about the WB/Hanna Barbara library than the WarnerMedia regime (not so much of CN library, but that's another discussion). Those properties work best on syndication because that's what they were. Streaming may be convenient, but it started to become unreliable.

This may sound off topic, but I need to let this out. Even though I'm excited for MeTV Toons, I'm wondering what's going to happen to Boomerang?

Well, I think Boomerang is not going anywhere. For what I understand, MeTV Toons is going to be a companion to Boomerang, not a replacement. So, I think Boomerang is going to be fine. Speaking of Boomerang, I have been watching Boomerang for the past month for the first time since I was a kid, and it really did put a smile on my face to see the old classics again rather than playing Tom and Jerry and Scooby Doo over and over again. I may not like the 2015 rebrand, but at least I'm glad they improved......until MeTV Toons was announced, and I was like, "yeah, I'm not interested in Boomerang anymore lol"

So yeah, MeTV Toons. Very hyped! Looking forward to it. I really wish I can get MeTV back on my cable provider since I started to miss MeTV in recent times. I'm not sure if Toons will be available in my area (I live in South Florida after all), but I hope it comes very soon.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts